Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
robkay

Drives: Hatch
My budget front speaker upgrade (pics)

I don’t know whether anyone has any interest in improving the stock audio in their Yaris anymore. A couple years ago I couldn’t live with the stock audio in my ‘07 hatchback anymore, so I decided to at least replace the front speakers. I’ve been meaning to share the way I went about it for some time, so here it is. I saw some amazing things that people did, but this is not a major kind of upgrade that is going to blow your mind. This is more along the lines of a budget upgrade, just the front speakers, but the results were worth the effort.

So, I started to look into speakers and when I saw that the fronts are 6.5" it dawned on me that I just might have a nice pair of Yamaha coaxials that I had bought for a previous car (and removed when sold). Sure enough, they had been packed away, setting on a shelf for years. I knew they were pretty good speakers in their day, so I decided to try those. I bought the Metra mounting rings and harness connectors suggested for the Yaris.

I had read about sound deadening materials for the door cavity and ran into a video on Youtube where a guy used Frost King foil backed self adhesive foam sheet, so I decided to go with that (I told you this was a budget job). Not fully trusting the self adhesive for the long term, I applied some metal HVAC tape around the perimeter. One guy in a Youtube video opines that 99% of the effectiveness of sound deadening material is achieved by treating just 25-30% of the door, particularly behind the speaker. I’m sure this is something that is arguable, but I’m not going to. I decided to go with that.

I was concerned about water dripping in and damaging the speakers, so I made a pair of deflectors out of Folgers plastic coffee cans. (The OEM speaker assembly has such a shroud built in.) I glued them in place above the speakers with 3M Emblem Adhesive.

A little additional trimming done and glued in place over speaker opening (the yellow to the right).

As far as covering the large access cutout in the door I saw a lot of ideas, from plywood to other materials. I decided to go with a simple piece of sheet metal–not the thin gauge stuff like you get at Lowes for residential ductwork. I went to a sheet metal shop and bought some heavier gauge sheet metal that I could still cut with tin snips. I first made templates out of cardboard, then traced on to the sheet metal. Next, cut them out and used my Dremel to smooth the burrs. I bought a can of Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray and sprayed the cut edges to help retard rust.

Before installing the cover I applied some thin, black foam tape around the perimeter to act as a sealing gasket and to prevent the metal from buzzing. I had to be very cognizant of the screw lengths due to the moving mechanism and window glass. Also applied a dot of thread lock on the screws.

After screwing the metal cover in place, I then covered it with the Frost King sheet. I also covered most other openings and holes with scraps of the Frost King sheet. (The foil peels off, so you will note that in a few spots.)

I should add that a gasket was also needed between the front face of the speaker (around the perimeter) and the interior door panel (something I had overlooked and not planned for, but caught). For this I used Frost King R534H minimum compression, 3/4" wide, 5/16" thick foam weatherstripping. (This is another thing that the stock speaker assembly has built into it.) You can see it applied in the pic below.

As regards the end result, after almost 2-1/2 years nothing is rattling and there are no scratches on the glass, so I guess I did OK. I had in the back of my mind that I might eventually do the rear speakers, too. But, as it turned out, the stock rears seem to project bass better than the stock fronts did, so I set the fade control to emphasize the bass from the rear speakers. The front speakers now sound SO MUCH BETTER that I am very happy with the overall result. I actually love listening to music in the car now. Sure, I’d like some lower end bass, but I don’t plan to change out the receiver, so it probably isn’t feasible to wire in a subwoofer big enough to really make much difference.

So, good, bad, or otherwise (I know there are probably better ways to do some of the things I did), this was how I went about my budget front speaker upgrade.

Last edited by robkay; 08-27-2018 at 03:09 PM.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I think this is cool. If the end result was improved sound, then mission accomplished.

Nice work!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
To continue the theme of the topic here’s what I made today:

I found those on eBay long time ago, and after reading some reviews, for speaker baffle foams in general, I found out that they might have a great results in overall sound experience. But the 40$ that they cost was too much for me. :

So I thought hey, why I don’t build 2 of those by myself? I bought a foam sheet and a glue for total cost of 5$. After some measuring and cuts, here we are:

Close result but with 35$ discount hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
robkay

Drives: Hatch
I'm having a, "Why didn't I think of that?" moment. I can't recall why I didn't go with baffles. I think I read mixed reviews about them, plus the price was off-putting. I hadn't even thought of making them.

What I would be tempted to do (for the door mount speakers) would be to buy a can of that spray-on leak sealing product and coat the back side. That way if any any rain ever dripped down it wouldn't soak into the foam. You would want to test it on scrap, though, because some solvents will damage foam.

5 bucks vs 40. That's a win!
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkay View Post
I'm having a, "Why didn't I think of that?" moment. I can't recall why I didn't go with baffles. I think I read mixed reviews about them, plus the price was off-putting. I hadn't even thought of making them.

What I would be tempted to do (for the door mount speakers) would be to buy a can of that spray-on leak sealing product and coat the back side. That way if any any rain ever dripped down it wouldn't soak into the foam. You would want to test it on scrap, though, because some solvents will damage foam.

5 bucks vs 40. That's a win!

I might do that also. But even if the rain damage them after one or two years I can simply make another pair. The sheet I bought is enough for at least 6 more of those. I will only need to buy some glue again haha.

Yea that’s a win for sure. Now that you thought about it, you can also do it ;)

Old 10-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
You want them online piece to prevent air leak.

But then, what I read about using this is reduced bass response

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
You want them online piece to prevent air leak.

But then, what I read about using this is reduced bass response

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I read the exact opposite. That they enrich the bass. I will put them next week and I will find out. And if they reduce bass I will remove them again

Old 10-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
redbean

Drives: 09 Yaris hatchback
I just bought a 2009 Yaris hatchback, and according to the previous owners, the front speakers were not "wired up" to the aftermarket head unit they had installed. I pulled it out and everything was wired up correctly, so I pulled the door panels off and did a "battery test" and found that both of the front speakers were dead. I assumed they were blown and ordered new cones and an install kit.

I went to install them the other day and got halfway through the job when it started raining. Through the speaker mounting hole, I saw a constant drip of water coming into the door right behind where the speakers mount. It happens on both doors. It looks like there's a small gap between the end of the weather strip at the bottom of the window and the plastic by the mirror. I assumed that was the real reason the original speakers were ruined, so I aborted mission and ordered some foam baffles online. Does anyone else have problems with water getting into their doors? I've also heard negative things about baffles' effects on bass, but I'd rather have crappy bass than no front speakers...
redbean is offline   Reply With Quote