Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
YarisNoob

Drives: Yaris LB
Please help, new to all this

Hi, I just got my Yaris LB and I have never replaced/modded any type of part in a car before and I want to replace the bulbs in my Yaris with some PIAA bulbs I got, unfortunately I'm not sure how to get to the bulbs so I can replace them, I know this probably a dumb question but could someone please help me? Thank you.
YarisNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Jfoofoo

Drives: 07 Yaris HB Meteorite Metallic
check your owner's menu it's all the way at the back. However from my experiance.. First you need a pair small-medium hands Large hands will be difficult. :) First you unplug the cable and remove the rubber washer. They just pull right out. After the rubber washing/housing is removed. You need to locate the 2 spring release thingy. You need to push it towards the bulb and it will become unhooked. after you are done with both side.. (one spring on each side) the bulb should come right out.
Again check your owner's menu.. that is what I did.
Jfoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
YarisNoob

Drives: Yaris LB
Thanks, I will look in the manual before I do anything, unfortunately I have large hands and I think I may have to pop the headlight bracket out to change the bulb.
YarisNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Thats ok. I Have huge hands and mine was no problem to get out. I also replaced my bulbs with PIAA's. Let me tell ya they are worth the money no matter what anyone says. I was always a skeptic till I bought a pair then I seen where the money went.The manual is exactly correct in how to take them out and put them in. Dont touch the glass on the bulb though. Some people make that mistake and the oils from your fingers can burn out the bulb. I have seen one explode before because someone thought they knew what they were doing.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Jfoofoo

Drives: 07 Yaris HB Meteorite Metallic
I like my silverstar... :)
Jfoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Pictures and Instructions are in the big owners manual.

Go HID instead...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nuxen H4 010.jpg (37.5 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg Nuxen H4 005.jpg (45.8 KB, 324 views)
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Replaced my bulbs with aftermarket bulbs of a different temp range, ive never had so much trouble changing bulbs. My hands were cut and bruised for a week. Theres only like 1.5" behind the bulb, and on the driver side your fighting with the battery with your 'stupid' hand (unless your a lefty).
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I agree with mikeukrainetz, there's not enough room behind the headlight in the liftback for a human male to change the bulb.

HOWEVER, if you pop off the 5 black pin-clips on the top of the bumper and the 2 in the wheel wells (1 each side), you can pull the top of the bumper out, remove the three screws on each headlight and pull them out to work on them easily. Sounds complex, but it's a big time saver and you protect your hands and bulbs.

I put PIAA H4 Super Plasma GT-X's in mine. They provide a lot more light and have a nice color, but I sometimes regret not getting some of those HID's from Chris. I imagine that I'll regret it more often when winter comes.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
Violin

I figured these might help.

I didn't bother with the protective tape and didn't use a screwdriver to disengage the claws, just some gentle tugging did the trick.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

^ ^
Old 09-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Violin

Oops! I just realized I crossed off the wrong part. I should have left the part that says "remove the 7 clips" and crossed out the part about the 8 screws.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
arg...

Ok this is a $%^&! I have never had my hand in such a tiny little crack of a space. Jesus! I am ready to pay someone to do this. That or just start taking the thing apart to change the freaking headlight. I changed out everything thing else without problems except for the maplights (off subject). Times like these I wish I knew a little person.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

What are you trying to change? The H4 bulb?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Yeah trying to wrestle those darn H4's out. I give. I'm going to Dad's tomorrow and he'll probably have them swapped out in a minute or two. I got the maplights after a little figuring. The repair manual makes everything look like you have to take the whole car apart

Having trouble getting passed the rubber sleeve-got the plug out though

and I am having issues with the license plate light. I'm ready to give it a swift kick
anyway my back hurts
Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
man this makes me happy to have a sedan. I can fit my fat hands behind it no problem.
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #16
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

If the map lights were giving you problems, PLEASE let a dealer or a friend with experience work on your car.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

no, they did initially because I thought I was going to have to remove the whole housing to get to them. I was using the repair manual. Then I discovered they were basically the same as the dome as far as just remove the covers. Look man I'm used to German Engineering this Japanese stuff is new to me.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #18
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
no, they did initially because I thought I was going to have to remove the whole housing to get to them. I was using the repair manual. Then I discovered they were basically the same as the dome as far as just remove the covers. Look man I'm used to German Engineering this Japanese stuff is new to me.
Hey guy, our car is of French design... just east of Deutschland