Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Clutch adjustment?

been looking the car over for a while, trying to figure out how to adjust my clutch properly for what I need. I have to floor the clutch for it to shift or i will grind gears, which is not ideal for me, I'm used to my rx7 where at about 3/4 pedal it was open enough. under the hood i don't see if it's possible, and behind the pedal I cant tell if that adjusts out anymore (or at all). where would I look to do so?
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
If it's like the echo, it's not adjustable (iirc) Maybe your rx7 uses a clutch cable instead of hydraulic? You may just have to get used to it :(
Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
mr_miles

nah, the RX7 was hydraulic but it was perfect for me. I'll give it another look see, and if it's not adjustable i'll have to figure something out, like a rubber boot or something i can attach to the pedal give it just a little more movement.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It's not adjustable. Lifting from the floor, when does it engage exactly?

There are aftermarket clutches that release the plate higher up on the pedal -- it's an expensive mod just for that, though.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.

Last edited by cali yaris; 11-21-2011 at 11:47 AM.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
mr_miles

dang, that's nothing i like to hear, I'll have to figure out the point that it starts to engage, don't know off the top of my head.

it's just an annoyance, mostly. if i wouldn't rest my left foot on the dead pedal area i wouldn't have the problem, seems i touch that area with the left of my foot sometimes and it causes me to think i have the clutch depressed completely.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It could also be your footwear: I have problems in the winter with my heavy boots, but not in the summer with running shoes. Here's one possible solution.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
mr_miles

makes it a tad easier knowing there's a write up and it's been done before, lol. I was thinking about removing that entirely and mounting a metal dead pedal too.... I have the easiest time driving in my converse, so i've been wearing them most the time. i can drive in my boots but it gets a little difficult at times :p
Old 11-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
mr_miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
It's not adjustable. Lifting from the floor, when does it engage exactly?

There are aftermarket clutches that release the plate higher up on the pedal -- it's an expensive mod just for that, though.
engages about an inch from the floor. guess I'll just deal with it :x
Old 09-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #9
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
This is annoying for me too. My shoes are size 12, and I did the "big foot mod" already, which helps. But still, it's hard to press the clutch pedal all the way down when I'm wearing shoes with rigid soles. About 10% if the time, it grinds as I try to shift with the clutch partially engaged. To avoid this problem, I usually drive barefoot.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookybathtub View Post
This is annoying for me too. My shoes are size 12, and I did the "big foot mod" already, which helps. But still, it's hard to press the clutch pedal all the way down when I'm wearing shoes with rigid soles. About 10% if the time, it grinds as I try to shift with the clutch partially engaged. To avoid this problem, I usually drive barefoot.
You need to adjust the pushrod connected to the pedal. Loosen the lock nut and then pull the pin out and give it a couple turns out. Just make sure you still have freeplay when the pedal is all the way up or you'll burn out the through out bearing.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote