Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
Starrdust

Drives: 2008 Yaris Automatic
What should I do with my totaled 2008 Yaris Sedan?

Hi Yaris people and good day to you all. My car was in a bad wreck :(, the engine which was running perfect before and now isn't connected to the passenger motor mount anymore. The transmission pan is leaking some fluid and the starter won't engage at all. The interior is 9/10, beautiful seats, driver door, rear doors are fine. Tinted windows. I never had a wrecked car and don't know what to do with it. I can keep it for a few weeks in my driveway.

I bought another Yaris yesterday, a 2007 model with a beautiful interior also. Both cars have around 110,000 miles. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be wise to salvage for spare parts for my 07/ to sell before I scrap it? I have a small storage room to put stuff in. I already switched the wiper arms over because the 07 Yaris was losing paint on them. I plan on swapping out spark plugs too since they were new on the 08. I will save the coil packs, alternator and tail lights. I'm probably missing a lot more to take...it's been hard to think lately after what happened.

I want to take the tires off but then the car won't roll.

I may post more pics tomorrow for fun or if someone asks. Thanks for reading

Name:  20180703_213127.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  516.9 KB

Name:  20180703_214030.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  413.9 KB
Starrdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I would get things likely to go bad on your new Yaris like the alternator MAF sensor of course you would want the wheels and tires the windshield washer pump yes the AC compressor is toast maybe the battery if it’s good the motor that runs the windshield I mean the windows. I think you were very smart to buy another year is it sad to see a good cargo. Good luck with your new wa I mean the windows. I think you’re very smart to buy another year is it sad to see a good cargo. Good luck with your new one!
Old 07-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Starrdust

Good thinking, I'll grab the washer fluid pump, MAF and A/C compressor out today. I think the compressor is still intact.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Aside from the stuff mentioned already, what about swapping the door windows over to the 07? That way you'll have less windows to tint (saves you money).

What about the interior of the 07? Any scratches or damaged interior bits that you can swap over from the 08?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
Starrdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Aside from the stuff mentioned already, what about swapping the door windows over to the 07? That way you'll have less windows to tint (saves you money).

What about the interior of the 07? Any scratches or damaged interior bits that you can swap over from the 08?
I was thinking about the windows with the tint.. It seems like a lot of work to take apart 8 doors and make sure everything works the way it used to. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I'll probably just leave this one without tint for now. The only interior part that's strange looking (paint bubbles) is the gear selector cover on the 07. I read somewhere that the shift knob can be unscrewed? I didn't know that until today. I'll take the center console thing off and try it out on the 08. Luckily, the 07 has a beautiful interior and I don't really need to do much. Perhaps I should take the entire radio/cd player out in case I need it one day..

edit again: Maybe this weekend I'll do the window glass switch. It seems easy after watching a video from a Corolla. I'm sure it isn't much different in a Yaris.

Last edited by Starrdust; 07-04-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
bronsin

Maybe you should just keep the car in the backyard and pick parts off as needed? What would a junkyard give you for $500? Seems like over the years you will get that back quickly just by keeping it to picking it’s phones as needed
Old 07-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
Starrdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Maybe you should just keep the car in the backyard and pick parts off as needed? What would a junkyard give you for $500? Seems like over the years you will get that back quickly just by keeping it to picking it’s phones as needed
I'm actually in an apartment and the parking lot is shared with an auto repair shop/ used car dealer. I already have 3 parking spots filled and 4 cars total now. I wish I could keep it. Nobody is telling me to get rid of it yet but it's a huge eye sore. Maybe I can just throw a tarp over it
Old 07-04-2018, 11:49 PM   #8
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
Is your wrecked Yaris a higher package option? Comes with rear disc instead of drums?
I'd salvaged wear & tear parts like starter, alternator, compressor, absorbers, front lower arm, drive shaft, fuel pump, motorized side mirrors if they weren't damaged
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
It's not far from me. I'd be interested in it to part out for the other Yarii I have haha
Old 07-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I'd pick the computer modules out of it. The under dash fuse box. The engine fuse box and wiring loom. Interior wiring loom. Sensors. Switches. The interior. The rear lights. Blower motor.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #11
bronsin

Really get all the relays you can eps the fuel pump!
Old 07-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
the best option would be to keep it as a parts car and pull things as needed. Since that really isn't an option for you then it's up to you with how far you want to go with it.

I agree w/ the initial parts people mentioned to pull but I also think pulling large hard to source bolts as well as drivetrain components such as cv axles, control arms, engine mounts, suspension etc. These things will likely go in the next few years on your "new" yaris and you will have a free oem option to replace them with
Old 09-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #13
kcanaj

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
yaris

are you selling any parts of your Yaris?
kcanaj is offline   Reply With Quote