Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
l0lwut

Drives: 2008 belta
possible manual swap, 08 sedan

I would like to apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to start this thread. I tried searching, with limited results of any relevance, most being from 2k6 or so. ive been lurking on here for a bit and decided to finally post.

I have an 08 sedan that has just come out of warranty. I bought an automatic because my ex fiance, (who i was engaged to when the vehicle was bought), did not know how to drive stick, and refused to learn. since the vehicle was to be her daily, we settled on buying an auto.

I can get the transmission for ~350 shipped, but that's strictly the transmission. Ive never converted a car from auto to manual before, so im not completely sure what all parts i need to get for this, and was hoping someone would be able to share some insight.

I have the shopspace and the ability to do the labor myself, so im not worried about cost of labor or time, but would like to know if anyone has any experience with swapping the car to a manual tranny, or if anyone had any advice on this.

I was also considering a 4age20v or 2zz-ge swap, but haven't really done much research into it yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

TL;DR: i tried searching, didnt have any luck. any advice on swapping from auto to manual?

Last edited by l0lwut; 02-07-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: add thankyou
l0lwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
typically you're better off just trading the car for a manual

4age has been done a couple times (see etimago's thread on microimageonline.com)

2zz has been done, but in puerto rico only (as those guys are car crazy)

the issue, as far as i can tell, with the 2zz and the c60 is that together the bell housing is too long to fit between the frame rails - - which would need to be cut/boxed
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
l0lwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
typically you're better off just trading the car for a manual

4age has been done a couple times (see etimago's thread on microimageonline.com)

2zz has been done, but in puerto rico only (as those guys are car crazy)

the issue, as far as i can tell, with the 2zz and the c60 is that together the bell housing is too long to fit between the frame rails - - which would need to be cut/boxed
What about if trading it in isnt an option? id end up upside down if i traded it in.

is a swap actually feasible if i have the shopspace and dont have to pay for labor? or should i just stick with the slushbox and just accept the fact forced induction will never be an option?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Well the first thing I'd try to do is look around for somebody wanting to get rid of their manual for an auto. If you're lucky.. such a person exists near you.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
now when u say u can do it yourself and u have the space does that mean your a mechanic?

i have the space and i would want to do it myself but that doesn mean i am able to do it myself.... if that makes sense. i would recomend trade also

but if your a stickler on this i can get you started, on of my friends had it done on a eclipse a while back and it cost him just over 3500 to have it done and they replaced wiring harnesses, interior trims, drill holes thru the car, weld brackets, change tranny & CV shafts, flywheel and a big one (that i wasnt expecting) they had to install a new computer.

im not sure about how much of that the yaris would need but i know its a big job and imo it will never feel 100% right. the clutch pedal u mount wont be 100% the right spot abd that would drive me NUTS

if your gonna go thru all that work you might as well put the 2zz or 4age in, or if u get really crazy a v6 or v8 RWD :D I WOULD SO COME AND HELP U WITH THAT ONE!!!! OMG LOL

GL and welcome to the fourm
Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I had a nice long reply typed up yesterday morning before the crash, but here's the summary:

* If you own it outright, go for it.
* If it's not your only mode of transportation, go for it.
* If you understand ALL of the components that have to be changed out for it to work, go for it.
* If you're the least bit unsure that you can sink in excess of $5k into the project, DON'T DO IT.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
A bit longer reply:

* The 1.8L 2ZR-FE from the Scion xD or Matrix can be mounted in the 07-11 Yaris, IF you can get the engine mounts from a European parts dealer.

CAVEATS:
* The mid-pipe is a different part number, so there's no confirmation that the downpipe from the 2ZR will mate with the Yaris.
* The wiring harness may or may not be usable, and may have to be sourced from a Euro parts dealer.
* The Euro T-Sport 1.8L Yaris comes with a 6-speed manual, but it is NOT the same family as the C50/C56/C60. Completely different casings. I am in the process of fitting C56 gears into a C50 Yaris gearbox, and it seems to be workable. I'm investigating the possibility of a C60, as the late model Yaris frame has a very similar notch to the one made by BlueVitz-RS in his 6-speed swap.

CONCLUSION:
* the prevailing wisdom is that unless you have the skills, tools, time, money, experience and parts, don't mess with it. Take that with a grain of salt, as I've gone from one side of the fence (don't do it) to the other (buy some transmissions and start tinkering) on the whole transmission/gear ratio swap issue.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
l0lwut

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. Im probably just gonna stick to the auto unless i end up doing an engine swap.

because while i have the space and the ability, (im nota mechanic by trade, but i do all my own work.) if its not going to feel right, its not going to be worth it