Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Jlively
Mr J.

Drives: 2009 yaris 5 dr HB
Send a message via AIM to Jlively
Manual trans swap

Hello all, new yaris owner new to the site, just happened upon the site yesterday. So far I have to say I am liking the site. A number of questions I had concerning my car or yaris in general were answered shortly after finding this site lol.

On to the topic at hand, I have been researching a number of swaps and add ons for the yaris. The one that most intrigured me was the 5 speed manual transmission with the electronic clutch setup that is only offered in the russian models I do believe.

How hard would it be to acquire this trans/clutch setup and everything needed to swap over and could it be swapped into a U.S. born model with no problems? Or might this require some bit of modification to make it sit proper etc?

I dont plan to do a standard us style clutch setup swap, I would rather just sell my yaris and buy one with a MT lol. But I am interested in this ECS the russian model offers. Really just as a more unique mod for a semi show car type build, with some performance use still there.
Jlively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The MMT is available throughout Europe on the Yaris. It is not paired with the 1.5L engine though, so it would not be a trivial swap. There are also significant wiring changes to support it as well as a different ECM.

Converting a US one from AT to MT is actually a relatively easy process. I converted an MT one to AT without issue.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
Jlively
Mr J.

wasnt it paired with the 1.3? idk tho if I have to go as far as changing out ecm and what not then to me its not really worth it. On this side of the pond it would be unique in its own right even down to the instrument shifter panel.

If its gonna be a bigger project than I hoped then the labor is gonna kill me. Being my daily driver I cant have it down for more than a couple days at a time really.
Due to a health issue a few years ago my nerves are a lil F'ed up and my leg doesnt sit to well on most clutches hence why I was also interested in the ECS setup. I dont so much mind it being an AT I can throw a throttle controller on it and amp up my throttle response enough to satisify me.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlively View Post
wasnt it paired with the 1.3? idk tho if I have to go as far as changing out ecm and what not then to me its not really worth it. On this side of the pond it would be unique in its own right even down to the instrument shifter panel.

If its gonna be a bigger project than I hoped then the labor is gonna kill me. Being my daily driver I cant have it down for more than a couple days at a time really.
Due to a health issue a few years ago my nerves are a lil F'ed up and my leg doesnt sit to well on most clutches hence why I was also interested in the ECS setup. I dont so much mind it being an AT I can throw a throttle controller on it and amp up my throttle response enough to satisify me.
It was paired with a few different engines (1.0, Diesel and 1.3), but not one which is bolt compatible with our 1.5.

It definitely would require the ECM and harness changes, as the control of it is pretty complex. Also, those who have them in Europe find that clutches do not last anywhere near as long as with a normal manual.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Jlively
Mr J.

yea sounds like it would be to much work if you could find a way to make it work. I think Ill just stick with the AT I have for now and maybe do a standard manual swap later. Ive heard a bit both good and bad about the clutches in these so Im iffy on the clutch. Might see if any car rental joints here have one and Ill rent one and test out the clutch for a day. Thanks to some bad nerve endings now my left leg is really picky about clutches and pedals so sadly Im limited on which sticks I can drive comfortably. That was the main interest in the ECS but it wont be worth the effort it seems.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The clutch is really light, and it is really hard to find the exact point where it disengages. Add to that a drive by wire throttle, and good luck figuring exactly how to take off without stalling unless you rev the crap out of the thing. Even with an aftermarket clutch it is the most annoying part about the car.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Jlively
Mr J.

I have heard from some people even on here that the clutch is rather stiff in their vehicle and the throttle was really light, causing strain on both feet/ shins bc of both extreme polar ends on the pedals.
Honestly I think it would work out better for me if the clutch was stiff and the throttle was lighter simply bc of how my now slightly rearded left leg works.
but if the clutch is in fact light feeling then I would probably have issues with it.