Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Rear brake shoe advice needed

I'm looking for advice on what rear brake shoe compound I should run for next track season. I have carbotech xp10's up front and love them and I'm a big fan of carbotech's customer support. I have been using stock rear shoes and they have held up pretty good but are now almost completely worn.

Carbotech recommended u run xp8's in the rear for the track with my set up of 80tw tires and the weight of my car. Problem is, these are one off's to make and cost $240 a pair regardless of what compound I go with.

My question to those who track and even autox their cars is, did you notice a large difference going with a track pad in the rear over the oem compound?
I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the $ to go with track shoes or not.

I dont know is Jason still goes on this forum or not but I'm curious as to what he ran in the rear.

I am far from a pro driver but I do 45 min session at a time and I brake super late and drive the crap out of the car at the track. To put it in perspective hawk hps pads lasted half a lap on my first hot lap and they never recovered

Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Steve35

Drives: 2008 HB
I'd call the guys at Porterfield, they are the one that helped Jason.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
tmontague

Thanks, I'll contact them
Old 12-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I'm looking for advice on what rear brake shoe compound I should run for next track season. I have carbotech xp10's up front and love them and I'm a big fan of carbotech's customer support. I have been using stock rear shoes and they have held up pretty good but are now almost completely worn.

Carbotech recommended u run xp8's in the rear for the track with my set up of 80tw tires and the weight of my car. Problem is, these are one off's to make and cost $240 a pair regardless of what compound I go with.

My question to those who track and even autox their cars is, did you notice a large difference going with a track pad in the rear over the oem compound?
I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the $ to go with track shoes or not.

I dont know is Jason still goes on this forum or not but I'm curious as to what he ran in the rear.

I am far from a pro driver but I do 45 min session at a time and I brake super late and drive the crap out of the car at the track. To put it in perspective hawk hps pads lasted half a lap on my first hot lap and they never recovered

Thanks
Never had any call to upgrade the rears. The OE shoes already give inside lock up when trail-braking into very fast turns, a more aggressive pad would only make it worse. When the inside tire lifts and the brake pedal has even a little pressure on it that tire just wants to stop.

I know some of the B-Spec guys (they have ABS we don't in H Prod) found that too much rear brake put the car in ice-mode.

Still have the original rear shoes on the car after four seasons.

HPS is a street pad, not a good choice for the front for anything other than autocross. We have Porterfield cut out a Hawk DTC-60 for the front of the Yaris.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Track or no track, I've never heard a case for anything other than OE.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Never had any call to upgrade the rears. The OE shoes already give inside lock up when trail-braking into very fast turns, a more aggressive pad would only make it worse. When the inside tire lifts and the brake pedal has even a little pressure on it that tire just wants to stop.

I know some of the B-Spec guys (they have ABS we don't in H Prod) found that too much rear brake put the car in ice-mode.

HPS is a street pad, not a good choice for the front for anything other than autocross. We have Porterfield cut out a Hawk DTC-60 for the front of the Yaris.
what is ice mode, good thing i have a tCS; VSC off button.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #7
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post

This is exactly the info I was looking for - thank you Jason. Carbotech warned me that it could upset the braking balance. If the oem shoes last throughout your season then I'll stock with that. Saves me the cash to put elsewhere.

I agree with your on the HPS pads, they were what u had when I started tracking the car but as I started to work on brake zones and threshold braking they fell apart very fast. Now I just use them for dding and they are fine for that.

I know what you mean about "ice mode". TMP has a chicane right before a 90 degree corner and if I apply the brakes a few feet too early I do so during a bump and I completely blow the corner - the abs will kick in on all 4 wheel for the next 4 seconds making my brakes useless.