Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
NotAMechanic

Drives: 2007
Air Conditioner emits vapor and water

Hi! I recently purchased a 2008 Yaris 4-door sedan with just over 100,000 miles. When it got hot over Christmas (yes, Christmas) there was a vapor or smoke coming from the vents. I continued to run the a/c and water was coming out as well. There wasn't any smell or oiliness that I could see. Today I raised the hood and there is a film of like oil over everything and I'm pretty sure it isn't coming from the motor. Any advice as what it could be?

I did do some research and see where if the drainage thingee is clogged there is a sloshing sound when you turn left and the passenger-side floorboard is wet. I don't have those symptoms.

TIA!
NotAMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAMechanic View Post
Hi! I recently purchased a 2008 Yaris 4-door sedan with just over 100,000 miles. When it got hot over Christmas (yes, Christmas) there was a vapor or smoke coming from the vents. I continued to run the a/c and water was coming out as well. There wasn't any smell or oiliness that I could see. Today I raised the hood and there is a film of like oil over everything and I'm pretty sure it isn't coming from the motor. Any advice as what it could be?

I did do some research and see where if the drainage thingee is clogged there is a sloshing sound when you turn left and the passenger-side floorboard is wet. I don't have those symptoms.

TIA!
The thin film of oil is likely either compressor oil or motor oil. If it is compressor oil, then the AC will no longer be able to create cold air (as the oil exiting would also mean that the freon exited). If it is motor oil, then the most likely source is the oil fill cap being off.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
NotAMechanic

The oil cap is on. The oil level is slightly over full - it came that way. Does this mean the compressor is bad and needs to be replaced? I didn't run the ac for very long but it was blowing cold. I'm afraid to turn it back on because of the water coming out of the vents and it has been cold here lately.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Did it smell sweet at all when the smoke/steam was coming out? If you dare, you can taste the residue and if it's sweet: it's coolant. Your heater core may have a leak and it letting steam/coolant into the cab.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Did it smell sweet at all when the smoke/steam was coming out? If you dare, you can taste the residue and if it's sweet: it's coolant. Your heater core may have a leak and it letting steam/coolant into the cab.
Cheers.
Heater core leak would make sense, except it wouldn't cause the oily residue under the hood.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Heater core leak would make sense, except it wouldn't cause the oily residue under the hood.
True. Missed that part.
Cheers.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
NotAMechanic

I've run the heater and haven't had any problems from it.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAMechanic View Post
The oil cap is on. The oil level is slightly over full - it came that way. Does this mean the compressor is bad and needs to be replaced? I didn't run the ac for very long but it was blowing cold. I'm afraid to turn it back on because of the water coming out of the vents and it has been cold here lately.
The A/C will either work or not. There are pressure sensors in the system that will prevent the compressor from running if the system has leaked out.

But I would make sure the drain for the air box is clear of debris. Just need to push a coat hanger or screwdriver up the tube from under the car.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
CoryM

I'll bet Scott is right. Your evaporator core probably ruptured and sprayed a mist of oil and gas out the vents. The film on your engine is probably from it coming out the drain hole. Have a look at the a/c drain hole. The green oil should be evident there if so.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
NotAMechanic

Ok, I'm gonna check this out. I just wish I knew more.