Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
I guess this would explain why my STi is cheaper to insure than the yaris... No abs, no anti-theft, no awd, no traction control ('07), less air bags and a worse crash rating... So much for being economical...
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Sorry, but around here the most dangerous vehicle on our roads is the Ford F-150...
Here they, from my experience, mainly just get too close to your bumper...which is irritating re the level of the lights.

A few nights ago I was driving south on I-45 in the slow lane. I had just passed the area where you can see construction re the future North American Headquarters Campus for Exxon Mobil. I was just about to put my turn signal on to take the FM 2920 exit when I heard a loud rumble. I decided to slow down and delay putting my turn signal on. A CAR PASSED ME ON THE SHOULDER GOING AT LEAST 90 MPH. He was racing another car that was going the same speed in the #2 lane. This happened so fast I didn't catch what type of cars they were driving. I kept thinking about that little voice, little bit of instinct that caused me to wait. If I hadn't waited, the result might have been disastrous. I hope those idiots eventually got tickets. Since the killing of the Libyan ambassador, I've noticed way more than the previous occasional military helicopter patrol and I'd imagine even military pilots are able to provide notification (indirectly if not directly) to patrol cars.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Yet there are numerous accident threads on this forum where Yaris occupants survived relatively unscathed (thank God!) ...

Cheers! M2
That's because we are a group of skilled, thoughtful drivers!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #22
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Crazy question: If more similar data was released, could this affect insurance rates for Yaris drivers?
Your area doesn't do this already?

Quotes I received here...

2008 Corvette $105 per month
2008 Ford Crown Vic $75
2008 Yaris HB $125

Anything made by Honda or Toyota is an extra $20 a month easily. I've noticed that most Yaris/Echo drivers are especially bad but not the overly aggressive bad, or the lazy bad (not signalling etc), but the "I'm so scared I might actually crap my pants if I drive over 55mph, but I'll cut across 6 lanes of highway without even looking" totally-fucking-stunned clueless type.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
So is the smart car in second place?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #24
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Insurance on my 2012 Yaris costs 75 cents a day because I only buy the minimum required to register the car.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post

2008 Ford Crown Vic $75
2008 Yaris HB $125
I am paying 75$ per month for my 2007 Yaris RS 3 Dr LB ... and that is with collision and 2 million liability.

So .. I knew the rates in Ontario were high but that is quite high. But then again, I am getting the best rate that the insurance company offered due to many years of accident free driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Insurance on my 2012 Yaris costs 75 cents a day because I only buy the minimum required to register the car.
That is very cheap .. but I am not surprised as the rates in the US are generally lower than Canada where we are turned upside down and shook til all our money falls out .. then they shake us some more to make sure they got it all.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I am paying 75$ per month for my 2007 Yaris RS 3 Dr LB ... and that is with collision and 2 million liability.

So .. I knew the rates in Ontario were high but that is quite high. But then again, I am getting the best rate that the insurance company offered due to many years of accident free driving.

That is very cheap .. but I am not surprised as the rates in the US are generally lower than Canada where we are turned upside down and shook til all our money falls out .. then they shake us some more to make sure they got it all.
It's not that cheap. Tooter isn't paying that much, but he's not getting that much coverage either. The minimum coverage to register a car in California is 15 Thousand Per Person/30 Thousand Per Accident Bodily Injury and 5 Thousand Property Damage. I just looked it up and was amazed it is still that amount. It was the same when I started driving and at that time I remember my mother told me it had been at that same level since at least the early 1970's. Tooter would be paying more if he lived in Bell, Compton, or Inglewood and he'd be paying less if he lived in the NW part of Woodland Hills or in Hidden Hills.

Do you have to have collision in Canada? or is it like here in the U.S. where if you paid cash for the car, you don't have to have collision? Do Canadian insurance companies ask you how many miles you drive and base your rate on that? Years ago here they asked you your annual miles when you got the policy and that was it. Then 10 + years ago insurance companies (at least in California) started asking that question every year. In Texas you have to give an affidavit of your odometer reading (at least with my company and I know some others) to get the 'mileage discount'. There really isn't any point in not giving the mileage because you have to get your car inspected every year and the inspection station gives the odometer reading to the State and the insurance company can get that information from the state. I don't carry collision and I don't think I have since I was a teenager. Many U.S. insurance carriers have a 750k to 1 million dollar liability limit on their auto policies and then the amount above that is picked up on an Umbrella Policy if you choose to have one. For me, the underlying amount below my umbrella policy is 1 million. My first insured year here (car wise) I paid 434.00 for that 1 million coverage based on 15-20k miles per year. The next year my mileage increased to 20-25k per year and my premium increased 6 dollars to 440.00. The next year (which just started a few weeks ago) my mileage increased to their 30-40k per year band and my premium increased to 480.00 per year. Given your location, liability amount, and that you're paying for collision, your rate doesn't seem high.

My zip code here in Texas = low crime rate . It is almost exactly the same as Calabasas/Hidden Hills in California.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post

2008 Ford Crown Vic $75
2008 Yaris HB $125

Anything made by Honda or Toyota is an extra $20 a month easily. I've noticed that most Yaris/Echo drivers are especially bad but not the overly aggressive bad, or the lazy bad (not signalling etc), but the "I'm so scared I might actually crap my pants if I drive over 55mph, but I'll cut across 6 lanes of highway without even looking" totally-fucking-stunned clueless type.
I've never inquired about how much it would cost to insure any other cars in my area other than my current Yaris, two previous Corollas, a Tercel, and a few other non-Toyotas. I don't recall how the cars compare, really. I do know that my new 2012 Yaris is only $2 more per month to insure than my last car, a 2007 Corolla. Currently, I'm paying about $44/month to insure the Yaris....can't recall my exact coverage levels, though.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #28
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
^^^^ .. the insurance company usually is interested if you drive your car to work. Then .. they charge you more as statistically you are more likely to get into an accident coming to and from work. They do ask how many miles you drive but you are not required to prove it. And really it doesn't seem to save you much if you drive few km's.

There are lots of questions (and you cannot obviously lie or they will deny you in the event of a claim) .. but really they are not that concerned with the total mileage you drive as you are not required to get your vehicle inspected (we have no annual inspections here) or submit your mileage to a registry. (The DMV as you have in the US is privately run here by "registries" and you are not required to tell them your mileage).

EDIT: .... if your vehicle is over 10 years old, you are required to supply your insurance company with a completed vehicle inspection report, which mainly deals with the safely features of the vehicle.

As far as collision .. from what I know it is not mandatory unless you are financing your car.

I am amazed at how little liability someone like tooter has .. like the MINIMUM here in Alberta is 100,000 and most insurance companies want 1 or 2 million in liability as a minimum.

You do pay either a higher rate if you live in a high crime area (like where I live .. boo). But if you live in a low crime area .. you would pay less as they figure you are less likely to file a claim. You are also really hit hard if you are a male (particularly a young male), females pay much lower rates for insurance.

I did see recently that the average rate for insurance here in Alberta is about 1200$ ... similar to what it is in Ontario, where the rates are slightly higher than here.

Last edited by edmscan; 09-22-2012 at 10:10 PM.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
^^^^ .. the insurance company usually is interested if you drive your car to work. Then .. they charge you more as statistically you are more likely to get into an accident coming to and from work. They do ask how many miles you drive but you are not required to prove it. And really it doesn't seem to save you much if you drive few km's.

There are lots of questions (and you cannot obviously lie or they will deny you in the event of a claim) .. but really they are not that concerned with the total mileage you drive as you are not required to get your vehicle inspected (we have no annual inspections here) or submit your mileage to a registry. (The DMV as you have in the US is privately run here by "registries" and you are not required to tell them your mileage).

EDIT: .... if your vehicle is over 10 years old, you are required to supply your insurance company with a completed vehicle inspection report, which mainly deals with the safely features of the vehicle.

As far as collision .. from what I know it is not mandatory unless you are financing your car.

I am amazed at how little liability someone like tooter has .. like the MINIMUM here in Alberta is 100,000 and most insurance companies want 1 or 2 million in liability as a minimum.

You do pay either a higher rate if you live in a high crime area (like where I live .. boo). But if you live in a low crime area .. you would pay less as they figure you are less likely to file a claim. You are also really hit hard if you are a male (particularly a young male), females pay much lower rates for insurance.

I did see recently that the average rate for insurance here in Alberta is about 1200$ ... similar to what it is in Ontario, where the rates are slightly higher than here.
Interesting. I don't think anyone in the U.S. looks at how much liability insurance someone carries as a moral or have it even if you don't have a pressing need kind of thing. I can only think of two reasons off the top of my head why one would want to carry much more than the minimum liability. One is if you have kids and or a stay at home spouse that you don't want a potential judgement to impede providing for, and the other reason is is you have an asset base that is outside of retirement accounts that you want to protect (outside retirement accounts because assets inside a retirement account are usually protected from judgements).

When I first got the policy I have the 'mileage verification discount' was built into it. Since then, when I've had to provide the mileage verification affidavit, it was (I was informed via letter) to keep the mileage discount. I could have not sent in the affidavit and kept coverage, I just wouldn't have gotten the discount. The insurance company might be fibbing to me that I'm getting a discount by providing it, but my rates are enough lower than any other company that it is plausible.

The vehicle inspection thing where the state keeps a record of the mileage is a state by state thing -- not national. I don't know how many states have it. Texas does. California doesn't. This is actually the ONLY ISSUE I've encountered where TEXAS IS MORE ORWELLIAN THAN CALIFORNIA.

In California, if your car is beyond a certain age/considered a classic I'm pretty sure it is exempt from smog requirements and at some point a 'special' plate can be issued. I think Texas has some sort of similar program, but I don't know how it works.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #30
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

Drives: 2007 Vitz HB
its dangerous walking in some parts of the neighborhood where I live.
Fidelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #31
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I've never inquired about how much it would cost to insure any other cars in my area other than my current Yaris, two previous Corollas, a Tercel, and a few other non-Toyotas. I don't recall how the cars compare, really. I do know that my new 2012 Yaris is only $2 more per month to insure than my last car, a 2007 Corolla. Currently, I'm paying about $44/month to insure the Yaris....can't recall my exact coverage levels, though.
Do you have collision? If you don't have collision coverage, I wouldn't think there would be much difference (hence $2) when changing cars. If you do have collision, then that's great that your coverage only increased $2.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #32
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Since the killing of the Libyan ambassador, I've noticed way more than the previous occasional military helicopter patrol and I'd imagine even military pilots are able to provide notification (indirectly if not directly) to patrol cars.
Military aviators are not allowed to assist in law enforcement, it would be a violation of the Federal Posse Comitatus Act (18 U.S.C. §1385) which limits the powers of local governments and law enforcement agencies in using federal military personnel to enforce the laws of the land.

This only applies to Federal forces (active duty military and the Reserves), the National Guard can do so within its home state if the appropriate authority (usually the governor) approves it or in an adjacent state if invited by that state's governor.

Back on topic, I think part of the problem for high insurance rates might be the costs of repairs and replacement parts. Go back and look at some of the threads concerning accidents, the damage doesn't appear to be that bad but the repair estimates are astronomical! Unfortunately, due to the low number of Yaris brought into this country (as compared to Civics and other similar vehicles in its class), parts are going to be expensive.

Also, many modern cars are designed to "absorb and spread" the forces of an impact so many more components will be damaged as compared to the heavy, steel cars of the past.

But I for one consider that to be a small price to pay for driving one of the coolest cars around!

On a side note, I accidentally tore the mirror off a rental minivan we had in Key West earlier this week (a concrete pillar took it out while I was backing out in a parking lot). Luckily it was a company rental, and we always get full coverage; but I would hate to see what the final repair bill is going to be on that!

Cheers! M2
Old 09-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #33
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Do you have collision? If you don't have collision coverage, I wouldn't think there would be much difference (hence $2) when changing cars. If you do have collision, then that's great that your coverage only increased $2.
Yes, I do have collision.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #34
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Military aviators are not allowed to assist in law enforcement, it would be a violation of the Federal Posse Comitatus Act (18 U.S.C. §1385) which limits the powers of local governments and law enforcement agencies in using federal military personnel to enforce the laws of the land.

This only applies to Federal forces (active duty military and the Reserves), the National Guard can do so within its home state if the appropriate authority (usually the governor) approves it or in an adjacent state if invited by that state's governor.

Back on topic, I think part of the problem for high insurance rates might be the costs of repairs and replacement parts. Go back and look at some of the threads concerning accidents, the damage doesn't appear to be that bad but the repair estimates are astronomical! Unfortunately, due to the low number of Yaris brought into this country (as compared to Civics and other similar vehicles in its class), parts are going to be expensive.

Also, many modern cars are designed to "absorb and spread" the forces of an impact so many more components will be damaged as compared to the heavy, steel cars of the past.

But I for one consider that to be a small price to pay for driving one of the coolest cars around!

On a side note, I accidentally tore the mirror off a rental minivan we had in Key West earlier this week (a concrete pillar took it out while I was backing out in a parking lot). Luckily it was a company rental, and we always get full coverage; but I would hate to see what the final repair bill is going to be on that!

Cheers! M2
Your first two paragraphs = extremely interesting information about required barriers between agencies.

Your third paragraph = what I was thinking as well. This is why I thought Matti might not have collision given his increase was only $2. Perhaps the extra safety features (ABS, etc.) almost exactly make up for other increased costs.

Your fifth paragraph = I whole-heartedly agree.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #35
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Yes, I do have collision.
Good for you for having what seems to be such a reasonable insurance company.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #36
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
its dangerous walking in some parts of the neighborhood where I live.
I once took a bus from Torrance to Beverly Hills. If I remember correctly, it went all the way up Western Ave from Torrance Blvd to Wilshire Blvd. It was an interesting experience. I wouldn't have walked or ridden a bike anywhere along the route.