Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Skones

Drives: Yaris
Question Speedometer and odometer priem

Hi. I have a 2002 Yaris purchased and used in the Uk. For 6 months the speedometer has worked intermittently until the last month when it has stopped working completely. It has a digital instrumentation panel and the reading appears but is consistently zero. The Odometer is also not registering the miles travelled and is stuck on the last number it reached before the speedometer stopped. I have checked the connectors at the back of the panel and the are all fitted securely. A garage tells me that I am looking at £210 ish ($250) which is not really worth it given the age of the car. However. I am not sure they know what the problem is. My guess is that it is the speed sensor. I am a novice car maintainer. Where is the sensor located on a 2002 Yaris. I read it might be in the gear box in which case it is too much to tackle but I also read that it may also be situated reasonably accessibly on the transmission and removable quick easily. Has anyone got any advice on if and how I should tackle this problem?
Skones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Skones

Ps. It is a manual 1.0litre.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
1zzVitz05

Drives: Echo 05
I dont know for the 1.0l plus the trans matted to it, but on the 1,5 the speedsensor is in the gearbox, in the back of it on the top side. Close to the firewall. Dont know exactly for your engine and trans combo. Maybe try that.

I have some mechanical gauges cluster for 00-05 canadian vitz/echo. If you are interested it in we could arrange something..
1zzVitz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Skones

Thanks for the response. Getting inside the gearbox sounds like something for a garage not myself on my driveway at home. Will wait before I make a decision to see is someone can comment on the 1.0l version just in case the location is different.

Tags
odometer, sensor, speedometer