Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
headlight question (08 hatch)

Quick question for all of you experienced with Yaris headlights. I felt my headlights were in need of aiming. Looked up how to do it and went out to find a wall to aim against last night. The passenger side was good and threw a very distinct bright spot on the wall in the apporpriate area. The driver's side was another story. No distinct bright spot to be seen. Tried raising it and lowering it to see if the bright spot was hidden somewhere but I discovered that it was non existent. Sort of like it is not focused. If it was a water nozzle it is like the passenger side is on pressure wash while the driver side is set on mist. I adjusted the height by using the upper edge of the light to set the height. I have set headlights before and have never seen this.

Is it possible I have a bad light, bad reflector, maybe the bulb is not installed correctly??? It still seems that it makes less light than the right side. Anyone else had this problem or is it just me? I don't want to go thru all the trouble of pulling the headlamp assembly if there really is nothing wrong.

Thanks
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andulong View Post
Quick question for all of you experienced with Yaris headlights. I felt my headlights were in need of aiming. Looked up how to do it and went out to find a wall to aim against last night. The passenger side was good and threw a very distinct bright spot on the wall in the apporpriate area. The driver's side was another story. No distinct bright spot to be seen. Tried raising it and lowering it to see if the bright spot was hidden somewhere but I discovered that it was non existent. Sort of like it is not focused. If it was a water nozzle it is like the passenger side is on pressure wash while the driver side is set on mist. I adjusted the height by using the upper edge of the light to set the height. I have set headlights before and have never seen this.

Is it possible I have a bad light, bad reflector, maybe the bulb is not installed correctly??? It still seems that it makes less light than the right side. Anyone else had this problem or is it just me? I don't want to go thru all the trouble of pulling the headlamp assembly if there really is nothing wrong.

Thanks
Are you trying to set the main beam? Set the dipped beam, you should see a distinct cut off line which then angles sharply up to the right. Set at 1% fall i.e. 1cm. in 10m. If one headlight gives a different image to the other either an incorrect bulb has been fitted or one or both bulbs are not seated correctly. Sorry just remembered you are in the US. should read angled to the left! Your headlights will dip to the right.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
thanks

I was leaning towards a poorly installed bulb or one with bent contacts. When I look in at the bulb it appears to point at a strange angle compared to the other. Yes...setting the low beams...yes I am in the US...Thanks again.

T
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andulong View Post
I was leaning towards a poorly installed bulb or one with bent contacts. When I look in at the bulb it appears to point at a strange angle compared to the other. Yes...setting the low beams...yes I am in the US...Thanks again.

T
Could be that the base of the bulb is distorted or even the glass, and you have a rogue bulb. Also check that the retaining clip has been fitted correctly. A very small misalignment of the bulb will make a huge difference to the beam, the error multiplies significantly.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote