Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
that is it time to lighten the load

removing the back seats for both weight and so that I can say that I can't put anyone in the back because I don't have any seats.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
very easy way to lose a pretty large amount of weight!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
How much weight do you drop with ditching the rear seats? I've been debating it, but every now and then I do need to fit more than 1 passenger in my vehicle. Is the weight drop noticeable?
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA5 View Post
How much weight do you drop with ditching the rear seats? I've been debating it, but every now and then I do need to fit more than 1 passenger in my vehicle. Is the weight drop noticeable?

Someone on the forum did a weight loss thread. I think it's around 90 lbs.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

the torques bits kicked my butt so I don't think I will be getting them out today as I had planned. but i did debadge :D
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Old 06-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
^^^ lol, that did drop a little weight (much stress on the "a little")
Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

well I went to Harbor Freight and got the E bits so that I could get the seats out so now they are out and some extra stuff I had back there. I left the spare and the right bin so that I could keep the jack and two equipment in the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0799.jpg (103.4 KB, 106 views)
Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
my weight guestimate was 55 pounds for the large section, and 45 for the small. my scale is inaccurate and never gives the same reading. but between 90 and 100 pounds seems to be about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I used a postal grade weighing scale when I first removed my back seat, if I recall correctly the back section was almost 40kg and the seat 12 or 13, so that's about 100lb indeed :) Plus a few more if you remove the bottom frame thing that stays bolted into the floor

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #10
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
the spare tire and cover weigh a pretty hefty amount also.....i vaguely recall the cover weighing in at 12 pounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

left the spare tire, mostly because I expect I would get a flat if I took it out. I also tested the weight difference on a lot of dirt road(I hate Dirt Roads) the weight reduction was noticeable and the rear end was noticeably lighter. I actually went from a good sped on pavement to suddenly being on a dirt road as I rounded a corner, luckly I have experienced problems like that before in other vehicles so I managed to save it, but not before my wife about lost it thinking where going to crash. needless to say, If I am going to go rallying about I should get some dirt tires :D
Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Removing everything from the rear really changes the handling. Very entertaining.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
removing the back seats for both weight and so that I can say that I can't put anyone in the back because I don't have any seats.
I haven't removed my rear seats, but I like your conclusion on this. My reasoning though, might be considered near the height of cynicism. I don't want the extra weight to reduce my MPG and I don't want to populate the rear seats with potential litigants should an accident occur. My only rear seat occupant has been my little cousin, first in her car seat and then later in her booster seat (before she met the weight, etc. requirements).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote