Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
jemmah

Drives: Toyota Yaris
EXCESSIVE HEADLIGHT REPLACEMENTS!!!

I have a 2007 hatch with 145,000miles. Other than tires and oil/air filters absolutely no problems except an average of 3 to 4 headlight bulb replacements each year. There a pain to replace so this is not fun!!
I never touch the glass, always use electric contact stuff on the contacts.
Can't find any tech bulletins or anything else regarding this problem. But I must admit, I'm now the best Yaris headlight changer in North America!!
Is this commom among my fellow Yaris owners or does my Yaris have a personnel issue? Thanks for any info................
JEM
jemmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Do you do a lot of switching between high and low beams? The thing that causes filaments in bulbs to fail the quickest is switching them on.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
do you use long life bulbs? they're more expensive but last much longer
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
winfong

Drives: VIOS Belta
Get used to it.....Headlight Bulbs replacements are like an everyday thing....
normal life of bulbs are about 6mths....

philips diamond vision and Osram night breakers are just way way EX

For Longer life, try getting the Low heat bulbs, 55-60 Watts...

Also check if you headlight chassis has water in them... .
winfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by winfong View Post
Get used to it.....Headlight Bulbs replacements are like an everyday thing....
normal life of bulbs are about 6mths....

philips diamond vision and Osram night breakers are just way way EX

For Longer life, try getting the Low heat bulbs, 55-60 Watts...

Also check if you headlight chassis has water in them... .
almost 4 years, 90,000 miles - every bulb in the car is still working
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
almost 4 years, 90,000 miles - every bulb in the car is still working
+1. Had my other Yaris for 4 years, about 75,000 miles, stock headlights and they were still working when I traded it in.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
jemmah

****I'll respond to some of your comments****: I did go back to using the low heat 55-60W lamps. I've lost two since then. The Headlight modules are completely dry. Hardly ever use the high beams.
I guess I can assume a some kind of electrical spike in the headlight circuit probably when starting the car or a questionable ground in the wiring. I've tried all kinds of bulbs and anything else I could think of, guess I'll just live with it. Like I said before, I've become a quick bulb changer in the Yaris which as most of you know isn't easy!!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
Oh how I feel your pain, my Yaris eats headlights for an afternoon snack!
I've got an 08, had the stock bulbs until about 4 months in, drivers side died, but only the low beam. So I decided to replace with Silverstar Ultra 9003 55w (same as the stock) and since then i've been replacing them about every 3-4 months. If you purchase them at Canadian Tire they will warranty them for 1 year, if you pay them the 20 bucks and have they're mechanic install them, they will warranty them for 3 years. - been getting free replacements for a while now.

I've never touched the glass, the dome is sealed, no water inside, and I make sure the rubber seal is replaced on the back. Toyota says they've had no complaints and can't find anything wrong with the car, they suggest going back to stock bulbs. I always replace both at the same time when one blows since they're sold in a pack of 2, but it's random, sometimes drivers side, sometimes passengers side. Just recently switched to GE Nighthawk Platinum, 2 months into this pair. - never had a car go through this many headlights before.
only thought would be maybe the daytime running lights powering them at a constantly lower than normal wattage. I might try disabling this.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Never had a headlight blow on mine. Parking light went out 2 years ago and never replaced it. I have 104,000 on my 2007
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
get a good set of projector lights and install a good set of hid's!
lots of kits have a lifetime warranty.

please do not install hid's without using a projector lens.
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...BIXENON/Detail
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
The reason you're replacing so much is because, you are probably touching the bulbs and your replacing them with sylvania.

Stop using anything with a star in the name, use regular stock or go with philips bulbs. They have a vision plus which work great and last a while.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstantherprsn View Post
The reason you're replacing so much is because, you are probably touching the bulbs and your replacing them with sylvania.

Stop using anything with a star in the name, use regular stock or go with philips bulbs. They have a vision plus which work great and last a while.

I only switched to these after the stock bulbs burnt, I've tried silverstar and the silverstar ultra and now the nighthawk's. I've always used them in other cars, with no problems.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I have often looked under the hood and wondered how in hell do you change the light bulbs?

Can anyone describe the process?

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceb View Post
Oh how I feel your pain, my Yaris eats headlights for an afternoon snack!
I've got an 08, had the stock bulbs until about 4 months in, drivers side died, but only the low beam. So I decided to replace with Silverstar Ultra 9003 55w (same as the stock) and since then i've been replacing them about every 3-4 months. If you purchase them at Canadian Tire they will warranty them for 1 year, if you pay them the 20 bucks and have they're mechanic install them, they will warranty them for 3 years. - been getting free replacements for a while now.

I've never touched the glass, the dome is sealed, no water inside, and I make sure the rubber seal is replaced on the back. Toyota says they've had no complaints and can't find anything wrong with the car, they suggest going back to stock bulbs. I always replace both at the same time when one blows since they're sold in a pack of 2, but it's random, sometimes drivers side, sometimes passengers side. Just recently switched to GE Nighthawk Platinum, 2 months into this pair. - never had a car go through this many headlights before.
only thought would be maybe the daytime running lights powering them at a constantly lower than normal wattage. I might try disabling this.
Te (North American) Silverstar's have crappy life due to the filament being overdriven to compensate for the tinted lens.
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
check your ground. you should have very close to 0 ohms. very close as in decimals of ohms...mine is .08 ohms and i've gone 3 years on the same bulbs.

also, if you had good luck with factory bulbs...spend the extra money and get factory bulbs. they're long life and designed for the car by toyota. you may also have an underlying problem. sticking relays, low voltage, bad grounds. do you have the DRL module in? it's been proven that when bulbs are constantly turned on and off they die quicker....and the module pulses them on/off several times a second.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #16
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
Its easy to change, pull the plug. Then pull back the rubber boot and take it off. You'll see a wire similiar to a coat hanger that is hinged and apart of the housing. Push down and it unclicks and swings back like a door. Pull out the bulb.
Insert the new bulb and line the tabs. The tabs are a way of keying the light so its inserted properly. When you put it in and the tabs are pointed the right way it will be flush and you can close the wire hinge door. It will click in place and push the boot onto the base of the bulb than onto the housing. Reattach the plug, done.

When inserting the bulb hold it by the back pins or the metal disc.

Any tint on glass traps heat in a lamp, the heat contributes to the filament oxidizing/corroding and failing.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Do you do a lot of switching between high and low beams? The thing that causes filaments in bulbs to fail the quickest is switching them on.
+1
Old 02-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
jemmah

I started this post; just went thru another headlight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two since the start of 2011. Half dozen last year. I think I'll try some lamps directly from Toyota, maybe that will make a difference. All the information provided by everyone is appreciated BUT none of the problems mentioned is the issue with my Yaris. I noticed many of you have the same problem. As to the person who was interested in how to replce the bulb, it's a major issue, you can't get your hands in there for replacement. Basically have to pull the fender away from the auto in order to replace. I don't have the time at the moment to explain. All I can say as I said early in on of my posts; "I've become an expert on bulb changing. but it's quite a process. May try to disable the daytime running lights.....Thanks everyone for your input