Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Callmejc27

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 4 dr
Send a message via AIM to Callmejc27 Send a message via MSN to Callmejc27
A/C Only blows cold when radiator fan comes on?? plz help

So living on the gulf coast of FLA really stinks when you have no AC and its even worse when it teases yah and only blows cold when the radiator fan comes on which isn't that often only really when your sitting somewhere in idle for about 10 minutes... has anyone ever had this issue ? Thanks a ton

-J
Callmejc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Sounds like you are low on Freon.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Callmejc27

CTScott thank you for your kind reply... i have checked the pressure and level and freon is full! so mind boggling! is there a part, sensor, or switch that the AC system uses to kick the fan on when you turn the switch on in the car?? something is not activating the engine cooling fan when i turn the air on ! IF the fan is on from the car getting "hot" air blows icy cold
Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The AC Amplifier (ECU) talks to the ECM via CAN bus, and the control of the fan is done by the ECM. Can you tell if the compressor disengages when the fan is not running?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Callmejc27

yes it does disengage when fan is not running...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmejc27 View Post
yes it does disengage when fan is not running...
OK. That would make me think that it is kicking off due to an issue. It may be worth having a dealer or other repair shop with a TechStream tool plug into the car to see if the AC ECU has logged a DTC.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Callmejc27

Ok cool ill take it in ... Forgive my ignorance but your referring to a diagnostic check ...? and What exactly is DTC ... lol Thanks again !
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmejc27 View Post
Ok cool ill take it in ... Forgive my ignorance but your referring to a diagnostic check ...? and What exactly is DTC ... lol Thanks again !
Yes. The TechStream tool is the Toyota diagnostic system. You can't read the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) from the AC ECU with a non-Toyota specific scantool (like what would be used to read/reset the check engine light).

Some of the other subsystems the Yaris can be made to flash their indicator lights to allow you to read their DTCs without the tool, but the AC system can't.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
blacks

Drives: toyota yaris sedan
@Callmejc27
HI I THINK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE DEALER SAID
blacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacks View Post
@Callmejc27
HI I THINK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE DEALER SAID
The ECU cannot directly turn on the fan. A relay must be used to source that much current. It is unlikely that the relay has an auxiliary set of contacts to notify the ECU when it has failed. On my Yaris the fan comes on every time I turn on the AC.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshark View Post
The ECU cannot directly turn on the fan. A relay must be used to source that much current. It is unlikely that the relay has an auxiliary set of contacts to notify the ECU when it has failed. On my Yaris the fan comes on every time I turn on the AC.
The ECM controls the cooling fan via a relay (I did not say that it does not have a relay, just that the ECM has complete control over this process). Normally this does happen when the AC is turned on. The AC tells the ECM via CAN bus message that the AC compressor is running (the AC ECU fires the compressor directly, without a relay) and the ECM turns on the fan via the fan relay.

Since the OP's fan and compressor both turn off, my suspicion is that the AC ECU is logging a DTC and shutting down the AC.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
AC function

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The ECM controls the cooling fan via a relay (I did not say that it does not have a relay, just that the ECM has complete control over this process). Normally this does happen when the AC is turned on. The AC tells the ECM via CAN bus message that the AC compressor is running (the AC ECU fires the compressor directly, without a relay) and the ECM turns on the fan via the fan relay.

Since the OP's fan and compressor both turn off, my suspicion is that the AC ECU is logging a DTC and shutting down the AC.
If the fan relay is an open loop control line then failure of the fan relay will cause high head pressure at the compressor. Pressures too high or to low will cause the ECM to shut down the compressor clutch for system self protection. Many times the fan relay coil will develop an internal short that causes a cyclical thermal related failure that is harder to diagnose because some times it works, and some times it doesn't just like an ignition coil pack.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshark View Post
If the fan relay is an open loop control line then failure of the fan relay will cause high head pressure at the compressor. Pressures too high or to low will cause the ECM to shut down the compressor clutch for system self protection. Many times the fan relay coil will develop an internal short that causes a cyclical thermal related failure that is harder to diagnose because some times it works, and some times it doesn't just like an ignition coil pack.
If it were the fan relay, the car would likely be overheating, rather than just having an AC issue. In 20+ years as an Electrical Engineer, I don't think that I have ever seen an intermittently shorting relay coil. If it actually did so, it would pop the fuse.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
blacks

Drives: toyota yaris sedan
so What the conclusion to the problem guys
blacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #15
rsoaramud

Drives: Yaris 2007 Sedan
conclusion..replace the compressor???......
rsoaramud is offline   Reply With Quote