Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Unicron

Drives: Bayou Blue HB 07
Differential bearings worn out - car shaking

At around 36 km/hour, the whole car starts shaking. I have rotated the tires and it made no difference, so the vibration is definitely from the transmission/drive shafts. Today I looked underneath the car to look at the transmission and I could move the (driver side) cv joint around a bit probably 3/16" of an inch of free play, and there is a little oil leaking from the transmission there. I think the differential bearings are worn out allowing the drive shaft to wobble at certain speeds - causing the shaking.

Has anyone had this problem before? Its 2007 with 120, 000 km 2dr HB.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to fix this?
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Yikes. I've torn down a few of these transmissions, and it's no walk in the park. They were also dismounted, and I haven't put them back together, but it's not going to be a small repair bill. It may just be cheaper to get a rebuilt one and pay for the replacement labor. I'm guessing no less than 8-10 hours of labor if you want it pulled and repaired.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Is it the automatic?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Unicron

it's a 5 spd manual
Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Unicron

8 to 10 hours at $60 to $70 / hour, that's like $700 plus parts and tax - probably $1000 all in that. I think the warranty would have cost that much! and I doubt it would even cover labour. Still a little disappointed the Yaris hasn't exactly been problem free since I got it. I am going to have to get a mechanic to look at it.

When you took apart those transmissions did they have worn out differential bearings?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
At around 36 km/hour, the whole car starts shaking. I have rotated the tires and it made no difference, so the vibration is definitely from the transmission/drive shafts. Today I looked underneath the car to look at the transmission and I could move the (driver side) cv joint around a bit probably 3/16" of an inch of free play, and there is a little oil leaking from the transmission there. I think the differential bearings are worn out allowing the drive shaft to wobble at certain speeds - causing the shaking.

Has anyone had this problem before? Its 2007 with 120, 000 km 2dr HB.

It sure sounds possible that this is your problem. When you say 3/16" of play you mean vertical play at the furthest inboard part of the joint? Vertical being the key word there. If it is just sort of rocking up on an angle it's probably normal. If it is going up evenly, probably diff bearings. Typically there is a major oil leak at the axle seal though.

If it is diff bearings, often your best bet is to replace with a used trans in good shape rather than rebuild. Especially on a common car like a Yaris. I'd guess cost of trans alone ~$300-500. Not sure of labour.

That being said, inner CV joints can cause the same feeling. Vibration on accell around 30-5kph. Btw, if your vehicle is lowered it is harder on your inner joints. As always, pretty hard to diagnose via the internet. Best bet is to have a shop look at it.

Good luck.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I have an extra transmission for sale with 20,000km on it if you're interested...
Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
amanda07

Drives: 07~LiFtBaCk/74~scout/BMW-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
....around 36 km/hour, the whole car starts shaking. I have rotated the tires and it made no difference, so the vibration is definitely from the transmission/drive shafts....

It's not the differential bearings IMHO (at least it wasnt on mine) Same exact thing happened to me only it did it at speed AND upon braking.. It was bearings, but in the wheels. ($48 each / US-dollars)

I have the EXACT same car.. even color-- hmmm

I did my brakes, balanced wheels, new tires.. and finally took it in to ask a proffesional at the dealer. As soon as the car was off the ground on a jack, the wheel was visibly 'loose' and could be wobbles by hand. worse on the right side for me. LUCKILY I had purchased a huge 100k mile warranty knowing tend to drive like a d!ck

If I remember right (over a year ago..) ill dig up the paperwork, but i think it should have costed $400 parts and mostly labor

Last edited by amanda07; 06-15-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: just wanted to add something..
amanda07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, differential, front, shaking, vibration