Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Grounding kit

So today I installed a grounding kit on my yariii...I did only 2 ground points + starter + body ground

I got the kit from MicroImage...it is a NRG red grounding kit...
Here is a pic of it installed as weel as the radiator hose from MI

I redid the main body ground, the starter ground, one ground on the valve cover and one on the throttle body...

I have to do one other on the valve cover and the alternator one...

DO you have idea of other ground point I should use ?
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
packetrace

Throttle body ground
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
packetrace

First Valve cover ground
Old 06-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
back on the fire wall where the ECU is bolted up on the lower right bolt that is a stud on the fire wall and up front where the headlight are grounded to the frame. that is at least where i put 2 of mine
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
What are the benefits of doing this guys? Looks like Medusa's hair!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
As an electronic technician. Red to me is always a power source like +12 volts not ground.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

most of the electrical components, even the spark plugs need a ground to work. In theory making the ground on the car better will increase system responsiveness and improve ignition spark, it should also insure that at higher revs that the system electrical will not fail. I'm sure CTScott or Cali Yaris can give a more detailed description on the benefits but it is small unless you have done something drastic like an engine swap. I routed my wires differently than packetrace, I'll post a pick of it here in a few.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
packetrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH View Post
As an electronic technician. Red to me is always a power source like +12 volts not ground.
I am an electronic technician too...I know what you mean and it pisses me when someone use red for ground....but here it is only an esthetic reason....I hate the black wires in my engine bay thats why I went for red....
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
packetrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
most of the electrical components, even the spark plugs need a ground to work. In theory making the ground on the car better will increase system responsiveness and improve ignition spark, it should also insure that at higher revs that the system electrical will not fail. I'm sure CTScott or Cali Yaris can give a more detailed description on the benefits but it is small unless you have done something drastic like an engine swap. I routed my wires differently than packetrace, I'll post a pick of it here in a few.
Yeah I am very curious to see....I will do the ECU ground...I had to do it but your reinforces my idea:D

what are your other ground ?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

engine block, fender ground, ECU frame, Head lamp Ground, Throttle body,and CAI at its frame contact.

sorry for the dark photos it is rain here and I just ran outside and took these real quick for ya'll
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0793.jpg (113.5 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0794.jpg (86.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0795.jpg (108.5 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0796.jpg (86.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
packetrace

interesting :) Ill definetely do the ECU one and the headlamp one...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

"the heal lamp one was easy, the screw that went through the grounding screw sticks out of the other side so i just used those threads and a nut from the kit to put it on."

^ Bad idea Don't do that ground

Last edited by Golddeenoh; 06-12-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: bad information
Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
packetrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
the heal lamp one was easy, the screw that went through the grounding screw sticks out of the other side so i just used those threads and a nut from the kit to put it on.
goood idea
Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Exclamation WARNING!!!!!! Do not do this Ground.

DO NOT DO THIS GROUND!! Doing this ground will result in the car turning off when you either turn on the fog lights or attempt to turn on the head light/ high beams. The car will completely turn off, no electrical function at all, no signal lights, nothing. the engine will shut off. if this happens disconnect the extra ground(double ground) disconnect the negative, then reconnect the negative and the car will be fine.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I'm not doing any of this stuff. If this was such a great Idea I think Toyota would have sold it off the lot like that.... Just my .02.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Everything on the chassis is a common ground. It sounds like you have something wired wrong with your lights, where you thought you were connected to bare metal as a ground there, but really are insulated to the ground with paint.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

probably do with the lights as much trouble as i had installing the fog lights. it is the same grounding bolt as the head lights and fog lights. once i removed that ground I had no problems. the fog lights haven't been and issue until i put this ground kit on and then it wasn't until i used the lights that it went all funny business.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
packetrace

its just the hazard...

i had something like this..it was only the main ground pole who was not making contact with the negative of the battery....I grinded the NRG main pole....never had this problem since that...

it is not the headlight ground that caused that...the body is the ground...it cant cause that problem :)