Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Henry_mak16
Henry Mak

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr-hatchbk
(M2 Springs Installed) Some tips for installation of lowered springs for noobs

Hey Yarisworld! I just spent way too long on my yaris trying to put in these $100 M2 Performance Lowering Springs (Amazon). I just wanted to share some tips to those that may need help (like I did) or those that have no experience with this crap.

Don't underestimate the time it will take
This job can be very tedious and frustrating if you are doing it for the first time. You may even need to run to home depot for tools you thought you wouldn't need.

Raise two wheels at a time
(Two front/two back of course) I'll explain in the other tip.

Use your emergency scissor jack (or a floor jack)
to compress the rear spring so that you can take the bolt and stud (or w.e.)

Spin the rear spring
to plop it out if it doesn't just pop out. A way to wiggle it.

Compress front spring w/jack to reduce torque required for front 19mm bolts
The 19mm (2 bolts) was the hardest for me to take out. It is factory set for 141lbs and I only had a 25-100lbs torque wrench ($80 at home depot-_-). I fricken broke my ratchet wrench trying to unscrew it and it almost hit my eye! However I compressed the spring up and loosened it from the side with screw sticking out. You need a wrench that is strong and long.

Be prepared to remove the cowl
It is possible without it, but you better have some skinny ass offset wrench. I bought one but the neck was too fat to get a good grip. I used a through-ratchet from home depot (has a hole in the middle for allen key) and improvised my old jackstand to hold the allen key. This part made me want to cry, the top nut is so hard -_-. And when you finish loosening it your strut falls all quick.

Be prepared for the tedious work of using the spring compressors
That shyt takes forever to loosen if you're using a monkey wrench.

Get every part of the spring with the spring compressor
I left the bottom two twirls of the spring uncompressed and the shock went flying a bit.

Good luck.

Disregard my hubcaps....I can't afford rims =P.
(Picture taken right after installment) 2009 Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Henry_mak16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
lol.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
d3310n

Drives: black titty
i like this thread. this is a good thread.
d3310n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Tedtalker

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Thanks for sharing. Gives me a good head-start when I do get some springs.How did you get torque back to 142 Lbs? How do you like the ride with the M2s ?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #5
Henry_mak16
Henry Mak

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr-hatchbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedtalker View Post
Thanks for sharing. Gives me a good head-start when I do get some springs.How did you get torque back to 142 Lbs? How do you like the ride with the M2s ?
I got it to 100 torque lbs since another thread said 70lbs is enough so ehh? The m2s so far are pretty awesome. The car handles a lot better beause I dont lean when I turn fast so I guess more grip to the tires? and with only an inch and a half drop, ride is only slightly rougher and I dont have to go 2 mph on bumps. never bottomed out
Henry_mak16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
D&D
It's Quacktastic!

Drives: '07 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_mak16 View Post

Don't underestimate the time it will take
This job can be very tedious and frustrating if you are doing it for the first time. You may even need to run to home depot for tools you thought you wouldn't need.

Raise two wheels at a time
(Two front/two back of course) I'll explain in the other tip.

Use your emergency scissor jack (or a floor jack)
to compress the rear spring so that you can take the bolt and stud (or w.e.)

Spin the rear spring
to plop it out if it doesn't just pop out. A way to wiggle it.

Compress front spring w/jack to reduce torque required for front 19mm bolts
The 19mm (2 bolts) was the hardest for me to take out. It is factory set for 141lbs and I only had a 25-100lbs torque wrench ($80 at home depot-_-). I fricken broke my ratchet wrench trying to unscrew it and it almost hit my eye! However I compressed the spring up and loosened it from the side with screw sticking out. You need a wrench that is strong and long.

Be prepared to remove the cowl
It is possible without it, but you better have some skinny ass offset wrench. I bought one but the neck was too fat to get a good grip. I used a through-ratchet from home depot (has a hole in the middle for allen key) and improvised my old jackstand to hold the allen key. This part made me want to cry, the top nut is so hard -_-. And when you finish loosening it your strut falls all quick.

Be prepared for the tedious work of using the spring compressors
That shyt takes forever to loosen if you're using a monkey wrench.

Get every part of the spring with the spring compressor
I left the bottom two twirls of the spring uncompressed and the shock went flying a bit.

Don't forget: Loosen your lug nuts before you go and jack the car up!

I installed these exact springs about a month ago. Got them on eBay for $80. The quality and fitment was better than expected for the cost.

I didn't like how the rear was lower than the front though, and this did not change after 2-3 weeks of settling. I was happy with the height of the rears though, so I just cut off 1/4 of a coil off of each end of the front springs. Sits VERY nice now and has just the tiniest amount of rake (which I think all cars should have).

**Also, I didn't use a spring compressor and don't think you need to. I just laid the strut/ spring on it's side, stood on the stock spring while loosening the top nut to release the tophat, and had the bottom of strut body up against the wall. When it finally let go it gave a good pop, but nothing flew more than a few inches and I felt zero chance of injury doing it this way.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
JohnnyMalice

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 4 door sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Don't forget: Loosen your lug nuts before you go and jack the car up!

I installed these exact springs about a month ago. Got them on eBay for $80. The quality and fitment was better than expected for the cost.

I didn't like how the rear was lower than the front though, and this did not change after 2-3 weeks of settling. I was happy with the height of the rears though, so I just cut off 1/4 of a coil off of each end of the front springs. Sits VERY nice now and has just the tiniest amount of rake (which I think all cars should have).

**Also, I didn't use a spring compressor and don't think you need to. I just laid the strut/ spring on it's side, stood on the stock spring while loosening the top nut to release the tophat, and had the bottom of strut body up against the wall. When it finally let go it gave a good pop, but nothing flew more than a few inches and I felt zero chance of injury doing it this way.
DO the springs sit ok with it cut? I want to do that with mine but havent tried it because Im afraid it will not seat properly
JohnnyMalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It's unwise not to use a spring compressor -- you did it the best way without using one, but you also got lucky. Parts can go flying all over the shop/garage/yard doing it that way.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
D&D
It's Quacktastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMalice View Post
DO the springs sit ok with it cut? I want to do that with mine but havent tried it because Im afraid it will not seat properly
If I had cut 1/2 of a coil off of either end then it would have posed a problem. But by cutting just 1/4 of a coil off of both ends, it retains the shape of the end of the spring enough to seat satisfactorily.

Also, be careful and don't cut too much off. If I had cut anymore off than I did, the overall length of the spring would have been too short for it to stay in place during moments of full droop (i.e. accidentally catching air on a railroad crossing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
It's unwise not to use a spring compressor -- you did it the best way without using one, but you also got lucky. Parts can go flying all over the shop/garage/yard doing it that way.
Unwise? Maybe, but it's definitely a lot faster! (Especially so for those like the OP who use the spring compressor without the benefit of air tools.)

And luck had nothing to do with it, I had a plan and knew what to expect and have done the same process on several other cars before. I would recommend doing it this way to anyone that feels confident in their mechanical abilities.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I had a plan and knew what to expect and have done the same process on several other cars before.
Right. But not everyone does/has. A beginner/first-timer should use a spring compressor.

Like I said "you did it the best way without using one". The top parts can pop off with such force that they fly a fair distance -- lost parts in the middle of an install are not fun, and if someone is in the way, or you point it at yourself, that's just plain dangerous.

I have an obligation to point out possible safety concerns, and I always will.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
D&D
It's Quacktastic!

^^Understandable.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
JohnnyMalice

[QUOTE=D&D;711228]If I had cut 1/2 of a coil off of either end then it would have posed a problem. But by cutting just 1/4 of a coil off of both ends, it retains the shape of the end of the spring enough to seat satisfactorily.

Also, be careful and don't cut too much off. If I had cut anymore off than I did, the overall length of the spring would have been too short for it to stay in place during moments of full droop (i.e. accidentally catching air on a railroad crossing).

SO you cut a 1/4 inch top the top and the bottom?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #13
D&D
It's Quacktastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMalice;
SO you cut a 1/4 inch top the top and the bottom?
Not exactly. I cut 1/4 of a coil off of each end..
Old 08-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #14
JohnnyMalice

SO A total of a 1/2 of a coil 1/4 from the top, and a 1/4 from the bottom? Sorry for asking this over and over, Just want to make sure I got this right.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
D&D
It's Quacktastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMalice View Post
SO A total of a 1/2 of a coil 1/4 from the top, and a 1/4 from the bottom? Sorry for asking this over and over, Just want to make sure I got this right.
Yes. That is what I did, and have been running for over a month now with no problems. I would recommend against taking anymore off than that on these specific springs (M2 brand, blue, from eBay).

Make sure to post pics when you're done! (I still need to post pics of mine, lol).
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
JohnnyMalice

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Yes. That is what I did, and have been running for over a month now with no problems. I would recommend against taking anymore off than that on these specific springs (M2 brand, blue, from eBay).

Make sure to post pics when you're done! (I still need to post pics of mine, lol).
Awesome thanks!! Im about to do a bunch of stuff today, Home depot front lip, and put my CAI back on (had to smog my car last weekend) so If I feel like tearign apart my suspension Ill take pics
Old 09-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
how are you finding the M2 springs?
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
D&D
It's Quacktastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoodness View Post
how are you finding the M2 springs?
How are they working for me? Or where am I finding them to buy?

Tags
springs strut front m2