Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
nwdixieboy

Drives: ecoh
Another Yaris review from Autoweek

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...5&Profile=1041

Also I found another one:http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm...&ReviewID=1891

Last edited by nwdixieboy; 02-18-2006 at 09:31 AM.
nwdixieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
The Autoweek review is strange. They state that performance is cheap car like, although it doesn't match much more expensive vehicles, the performance is very impressive. I find the electric power steering excellent, very responsive on the road and great for parking. My auto tranny never " hunts " for gears, it shifts flawlesly. To someone who is thinking about buying a Yaris, drive one for your self as well as reading reviews.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I agree with you yariman. Also, I have a vague impression, after reading and viewing many reviews, that some reviewers dislike cars that do not perform like sports cars. Some people say Consumer Reports evaluate cars like home appliances, but I would rather trust them for their attention to safety, price, appearance, comfort, reliability, roominess, versatility, convenience, durability, resale value, fuel economy, ease/cost of maintenance in addition to fun to drive.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
nwdixieboy

Drives: ecoh
I love Auto magazines, but the reviewers do seem VERY biased towards high performance sporty cars rather than comfortable, reliable, economical cars as the gear their reviews towards Alpha Male types who buy the magazines.
nwdixieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdixieboy
I love Auto magazines, but the reviewers do seem VERY biased towards high performance sporty cars rather than comfortable, reliable, economical cars as the gear their reviews towards Alpha Male types who buy the magazines.
Yes, yes.....!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The most important thing to any journalist is to know their reader, and write to them.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
swng

Here is another one:

http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/adv...home&pos+Edit1

Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by yariman
The Autoweek review is strange. They state that performance is cheap car like, although it doesn't match much more expensive vehicles, the performance is very impressive. I find the electric power steering excellent, very responsive on the road and great for parking. My auto tranny never " hunts " for gears, it shifts flawlesly. To someone who is thinking about buying a Yaris, drive one for your self as well as reading reviews.
I agree. Now I'm a little out of the norm I think, but here's my situation. I sold my '91 Eagle Talon TSI AWD to buy this car. I wanted something reliable and yet still a little fun. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not compairing the power to the Talon, but I'm not disappointed that I purchased the Yaris. I have the five speed, which is very fun. The car is very responsive and I can't wait to put lowering springs on it. That's my only regret, that I didn't get them with the car. I've "converted" a few of my friends that were a little surprised that I bought this car. They expected a gutless wonder, but they were very surprised when I let them drive. The one couldn't stop smiling afterwards. "It's only got a 1.5?? Feels a lot more powerful." That was the comment I got.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdixieboy
damn stright. Although the many canadian shows and papers with Auto review such Motoring2006 is not too bad. However, I have read magazines giving a GREAT review on SUVs and Hummer..etc. Surely, they are great cars with awesome performance (power wise), but they have over looked the ENVIRONMENTALLY friendly, Fuel efficient and Parking (if you lived in a city).
As long as I concern, if you don't NEED a SUV to get home, such rock climbing, running thru dirt, mud pile like all those you have seen in a commerical. you DO NOT NEED a SUV. However, I think some Do need Pick up but NOT SUVs.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
p2filz

Drives: '93 toyota pickup
i think the sedan is nicer due to the tach but the hatchback sure has a nice look!
p2filz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #11
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2filz
i think the sedan is nicer due to the tach but the hatchback sure has a nice look!
How about a hatchback with an aftermarket tach?