Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
SuperFunBall

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue 3dr LB MT
Drafting or driving slower

The other day while thinking of the different ways to improve my FE I was debating wether or not drafting is more effective than driving slower. Lets say your drafting behind an 18 wheeler, safely that is, doing 65mph or just driving a few mph lower like around 55-60. I know that I am fairly new but have read some of the past posts on both. I was curious if anyone else has thought about this.

Sometimes you have to spit on your hands, raise the black flag, and start slashing throats
SuperFunBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
you'll see better results if you control your speed at 55. Drafting requires you to be as close to the rear as possible to take full advantage, and I mean like 2 or 3 inches close. A car length or two behind will yield nothing as well. Just stick with 55 and you'll be safer and so will your wallet.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Maximum efficiency is attained at about 43mph on the Yaris. Read: s-l-o-w-l-y. Drafting helps, but it needlessly places you in a huge blind zone. There is no such thing as "safely" drafting, ask any professional race car driver that one.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Drafting is more efficient at causing an accident. No one should ever draft under any circumstance on public roads.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Alot of people under-estimate large commercial vehicles. I can tell you that some of our large 45 foot coaches with newish (read: under 2k miles) disk-brakes all-around will actually stop within a shorter distance (when empty) than my Sunfire with the typical consumer "worn but not ready to be replaced" brake pads and shoes. Most people under-estimate how far it takes to stop a vehicle cruising at highway speeds because of how the brakes "feel" while in sub-40mph speeds.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Drafting is more efficient at causing an accident. No one should ever draft under any circumstance on public roads.

Exactly. Concentrate on driving your car!!!! What people will do to gain one measly friggin' MPG. Pathetic....worse than somebody yapping on their cell phone.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Drafting requires you to be as close to the rear as possible to take full advantage, and I mean like 2 or 3 inches close.
The difference between drafting and tailgating is about 2 feet.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
mchllp925
Darrin

Drives: 2008 yaris le h/b
just my 2 cents worth, being a truck driver, but drafting behind a 18 wheeler is suicide. If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you and if something were to happen up ahead, you will not have any time to brake/swerve/ whatever when I brake hard.
Please do not attempt this for your sake and the truck driver's sake.
mchllp925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Aside from the dangers of drafting & tailgating...you will get tons of stone chips on your front end.

Keeping your speed at or below 55MPH and a light foot on your accelerator is your best bet in getting better fuel economy.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I have experimented with drafting and came to realize the simple truth:

The only safe speeds one can effectively draft at are too slow for the drafting to be of a measurable benefit. The speeds at which the benefits are richly rewarding are also extremely dangerous.

It is just not worth it. It is much better to employ techniques such as Pulse & Glide or Hang Time around 55 MPH on the highway, or between 35 and 45 MPH on the side streets.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I watched a mybusters episode on this. It was surprising the mpg savings while drafter were achieved. But at the same time extremly dangerouse. Try googling mythbusters drafting.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #12
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Yes, well said. Such a dangerous practice to engage in for the sake of increasing mpg. I actually can't believe anyone would want to drive as close to the back of a truck as they need to to effectively draft... especially at those speeds and in one of the truck driver's blind spots.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote