Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
SuperTech trans fluid (auto trans)

Anyone know much about that brand or have used it? I was searching
some of the old YW threads and saw something about SuperTech being
approved and equivalent of Toyotas WS ATF fluid, but for half of the
price.

Would love to hear what anyone knows about that product and company
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I have not seen that. I do know that I contacted Amsoil several years ago about them not having a WS fluid and lo and behold I think it was last year they came out with one. If you find anything regarding the Supertech post it up. I'm interested.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
SuperTech has been around for several years and if they made a substandard product we would know about it by now. Considering the volume that Walmart sells they can't afford to have negative publicity. If they claim to be equivalent to WS, they would have to meet all the specifications.

That being said. Equivalent does not mean it's the same, but it does mean it would work in the Toyota transmission.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
detroiter

I ended up picking up 3 qts of the SuperTech fluid tonight from Walmart, cost $3.77 a qt. States right on the back that it's compatible with applications that require Toyota WS fluid.

Does anyone know the exact amount it will take to fill up the trans if I undo the drain bolt and let it all drain out that way?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I haven't changed my transmission oil on the Yaris, but on my last Nissan I put one quart then ran the engine. It took 1 3/4 qts after the first change and then I knew what to do on the next change.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Toyota auto transmsiions take special semt senthetic oil that mostly only Toyota sells.I think Wolfs head claims to make T compatible oil. There may be others.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Interesting, I noticed on my 2010 sedan-Auto, it states on the dipstick that under normal driving you should NEVER need to change the tranny oil! First time i've ever seen that on a car. Cant say I'll stick to it, but interesting none the less. To me .....
Old 08-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
detroiter

Well I ended up getting the SuperTech trans fluid in a bit ago. Took a little bit of driving around to get it up to temp and then topping it off but so far so good. Can definitely tell it's driving and shifting alot smoother and even at idle, it's running alot smoother and quieter. I was getting a little bit nervous because how much fluid drained out looked a whole lot more than what I had to put in lol. But in the end I used up just under 3 qts.

If anyone's looking for a good alternative of the Toyota WS for a nice price, I'd recommend the SuperTech fluid.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
500snakz

Drives: 08 Polar white hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Toyota auto transmsiions take special semt senthetic oil that mostly only Toyota sells.I think Wolfs head claims to make T compatible oil. There may be others.
Dude, Wolf's head oils are mostly sold at gas station convenience stores. The motor oil is recycled used oil. Please don't ever use that crap in anything, NOT even your lawnmower.
Supertech is a walmart brand. I don't know who makes it for them. I would stick to a name brand as in Mobil1, Penzoil, Havoline, etc. That way you know who makes it and you know the quality. I'm not much for taking chances on fluid replacements. Go with a sure thing.
My dealer changes mine free. The toyota dealer there uses Mobil conventional oil. In my truck I ONLY use Mobil1 for oil and Castrol ATF+4 in the tranny. YES it takes ATF in a manual shift in the truck.
500snakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Considering the volume that Walmart sells they can't afford to have negative publicity.
I don't recall wally mart ever having anything BUT negative publicity??
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I don't think just draining the tranny gets all the fluid out, especially in the torque converter....
I think you need a machine that flushes it ALL out, not something a DIYer
would be able to do....
Also, I would ONLY use genuine Toyota fluid here.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Copied this stuff from a couple of sites
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4221732AAQvpFK

It has been reported on the site,BITOG,that Super Tech dino oil is made by 3,yes 3,oil companies.

The three companies are:Warren Dist./WPP,Exxon/Mobil and Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State.

The ST synthetic and syn blends are made entirely by Warren Dist./WPP.

It seems that it depends on what part of the US your in as to which supplier of the dino you get.

This does not mean that the oils are the same as the name brands of oil,it only means that they are the manufacturers.The ST oil may be a different formula than the name brands.

This may or may not mean anything as ST has been shown to be a good oil and has put up some very good wear numbers when an oil analysis is done.

This news can be found on the BITOG site at:http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=1;t=008239