Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Cleaning plate on throttle body;can it be done?

Has anyone here pulled off their throttle body to spray down the throttle plate to remove all the black junk inside it?
Can this be done on a drive by wire like the Yaris has?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I'm not sure but what I can tell you is I cleaned it out before this way...Since it's electronically controlled and theirs no actual throttle cable, you need to turn the key to the power on position and have someone push the gas pedal and release it, so that way it opens the butterfly and shuts it. In my case, I didn't have anyone so I put omething heavy on the pedal to keep it held open.

Now it did flash a quick cel for a min or two after I started the car back up and took a few cranks to fire up, due to alot of the throttle/intake cleaner settling at the bottom of the intake but it just get's burned off, etc and the cel wil go away in a min or two, running well too without hesitation. I can tell you forsure that it was pretty black and filthy in that valve opening area in the throttle body area.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I'm almost positive the plate will come right off, it appears to only be attached by two small screws.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I'd like to remove the whole unit and spray it clean.
I know antifreeze runs through the throttle body and am also wondering if pulling it off the engine without disconnecting the hoses will prevent leakage.
I would remove the one on my Saturn about every 20k and it would be loaded with black gunk that would cause rough idle at times....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I'd like to remove the whole unit and spray it clean.
I know antifreeze runs through the throttle body and am also wondering if pulling it off the engine without disconnecting the hoses will prevent leakage.
I would remove the one on my Saturn about every 20k and it would be loaded with black gunk that would cause rough idle at times....
No problem, it's held on by like 3 10mm bolts and 1 nut. As long as the engine is cold you can remove the coolant lines that run to the TB without leaking anything.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote