Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
silverRS

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Silver
Any Aftermarket Intakes Yet?!?!?!?!

I don't know about anone else but im getting nervous as to the slow production of aftermarket for the Yaris.....mines an 07 but they've been out since 06....anyone hear of any intakes yet???
silverRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
curious what you think you will gain with a CAI?? what maybe 1-2hp??
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
mykole

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback (BLACK)
My Yaris is currently at K&N, I pick it up tomorrow. It's gonna be a short ram that they're developing, I'll give more details when I find out more.
mykole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
VitzBoy
Administrator

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch
curious what you think you will gain with a CAI?? what maybe 1-2hp??
I think a lot of people get CAI simply for the extra sound that it provides
VitzBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykole
My Yaris is currently at K&N, I pick it up tomorrow. It's gonna be a short ram that they're developing, I'll give more details when I find out more.
ok, may i ask why a short ram, thats hot engine air it's sucking...
Old 06-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
silverRS

yeah dude....Im not building a drag car, I already have an exhaust system on her and looking to add an intake and headers thats all. Adding a little juice to a sweet car thats all.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
A well built intake can help free up horsepower that factory plumbing eats up with restrictions meant to silence. I do not know how restrictive the Yaris' intake plumbing is, but odds are you should be able to regain 5 wheel horsepower.

That isn't a lot, but add that to a good exhaust system, lighter wheels, flywheel, etc, and it can add up.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
silverRS

thats what im talking about!!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
Hyde

Drives: M3,CayenneS,SL500,550i,GT3RS
i have blitz sus power intake, havnt installed it tho, this one should gain pretty well, i got at least 5-7HP from it on my G.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
silverRS

G?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:23 PM   #11
Hyde

G35

my baseline on that car was 227HP at the wheel, after the mods i got, its rougly 261HP. all i got is sus power intake, 350z intake tube, nismo cams, amuse ecu, fujitsubo y-pipe, straight mid and HKS rear section. the sus power intake alone gained 5-7HP on its own, the 350z tube added another 7.

according to blitz, using the SUS power plus their R-FIT fuel computer tuning, there is a gain of 12HP at the wheel for the NCP91 Vitz.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #12
punch

I don't beleive it but again to each there own, i had a turbo charged PT cruiser, the intake was the hot air type the air was then cooled by the intercooler, didn't add much in the way of hp to the car...

I doubt, just an intake will add 5 hp, to a 106hp car, but I could be wrong, i know nothing of this engine or what mods work on it...

also remember don't add up the advertised Hp rating to get your total, they all work together, on the pt the intake, downpipe, stage 1 computer, and 2.5' exhaust added maybe 15-20hp

and finally, afetr looking at the stock intake (breifly) I see no restrictions except a stupid bend, and it sucks hot air also.

Last edited by punch; 09-27-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #13
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
Yeah, from what I can see, the intake looks pretty straight forward and not too restrictive, including the U-pipe thing. The manifolds look like a weak spot and maybe the throttle body itself. Personally, I think a light weight flywheel is going to be my first mod... no need to make the car all loud if it's not going to net anything substantial.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Just curious, what do you expect to gain with a flywheel?
I have had the intake apart a couple of times and seems to me its quite restrictive. The stock airbox has a thick paper filter and a secondary filter (or silencer) neither of which look like they flow too well. The leg off of the airbox for drawing air into is only about 1.5" dia inside. I have pulled the leg off of my airbox.

There will never be substantial gains in any one aftermarket part short of NOS or forced induction. As was said, they all work in conjuction with the other. The intake only works to a point where its restricted by the exhaust. Maybe a cam is available already for the xB...

I can imagine replacing the intake, manifold, and complete exhaust may net almost 25hp on the high side. Combine that with a remapped ECU and a cam and you MAY see a lot more than that.

Getting a total of 130-140 hp would make a huge difference.

Buying a CAI alone like you say will net almost nothing but sound.

Personally I think the really weak point Ive noticed is the stock clutch, not so much the HP
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #15
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
I'm not really expecting any measurable hp gains from a flywheel, but it may free up a few. I do expect it to make the existing power much more lively and accessable. I do agree the the air filter looks like a POS but that can be readily replaced with a TRD filter and the secondary filter in the top of the box looks so coarse it's hard to imagine it actually having any affect at all.
To tell you the truth, I haven't even disected the actual air box yet, but it seemed when i opened it up and looked inside, the air was being drawn from a majority of the surface area of the filter, which is a significant imporvement versus earlier air box deisgns that only drew on an area of the filter the diameter of the tubing projecting into the airbox. But I could be completely wrong as this is mostly speculation.

/just curious, but do you have any idea how to get that prefilter thing out of the box without damaging anything?
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #16
Hyde

cold air intakes are useless, having the air filter placed in the bumper will suck in more dust and huge chance of hydro lock. plus 2-3 degrees colder isnt gonna make a big difference.

air flow is the key to power.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #17
chessclubloser

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
K&N

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykole
Dude,
Can you post pictures of your intake when you get it back from K&N?? that'd be sweet!!
chessclubloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Yes, a lightweight flywheel should help the car accelerate better.