Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
JohnnyRockets

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
How to turn ON Yaris Maintenance Required light?

My local dealer is running a "Complimentary Basic Inspection" coupon this month if ANY maintenance required light is on. Is there a way to turn it on manually? Would doing this be illegal?
JohnnyRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The only way to turn on the maintenance required would be to increment the mileage enough for it to think that it is due for an oil change. You can make the check engine light come on by unplugging the connector from the MAF sensor and starting the car.

I don't think I would bother though, as those "complimentary" inspections are just a way of getting people to bring their cars in, so the dealer can tell them that all kinds of things are wrong, and thus make a fistful of money off them.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Wish I had a dealer doing that. I have an extended warranty but it costs money for inspection if they don't find anything wrong
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The only way to turn on the maintenance required would be to increment the mileage enough for it to think that it is due for an oil change. You can make the check engine light come on by unplugging the connector from the MAF sensor and starting the car.

I don't think I would bother though, as those "complimentary" inspections are just a way of getting people to bring their cars in, so the dealer can tell them that all kinds of things are wrong, and thus make a fistful of money off them.
Darn. Well, it was worth asking if there was a way.

Well still, it would be good to take it in just for the possibility of seeing if there is something SERIOUSLY wrong.

I'm pretty resistant to being taken, so I can tell whether something is BS or not. (Or just post here :-)) So it'd be good to see if there's an actual valid emergency repair needed or just BS maintenance requests to get my money.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
I'm pretty resistant to being taken, so I can tell whether something is BS or not.
Really? As you seem to be falling for the old "'Complimentary Basic Inspection' coupon" scam pretty easily...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Really? As you seem to be falling for the old "'Complimentary Basic Inspection' coupon" scam pretty easily...
How is a free check up a scam if I get car checked out, decide nothing is an emergency, and leave?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

^^^^^ This.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
JohnnyRockets

Thanks. I guess I'll forget about this.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Darn. Well, it was worth asking if there was a way.

Well still, it would be good to take it in just for the possibility of seeing if there is something SERIOUSLY wrong.

I'm pretty resistant to being taken, so I can tell whether something is BS or not. (Or just post here :-)) So it'd be good to see if there's an actual valid emergency repair needed or just BS maintenance requests to get my money.
Uh...no. Because what CTScott wrote is exactly correct AND given that the coupon would likely have an expiration date, you could spend all of your free time before then driving around to try to make the light come on and it still might not come on (resulting in a waste of time and gas). I so enjoy driving, that I never ask the "Is the trip worth the gas?" question for any trip within my metro area, and even I wouldn't drive around to make the MAINT REQD light come on.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

I didn't see the 344pm post (OP's last post) until after my post #9 posted
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
How is a free check up a scam if I get car checked out, decide nothing is an emergency, and leave?
Really? If you think something is "an emergency," then definitely get it fixed; but for the most part the Yaris is an extremely reliable car that needs nothing other than gas, the occasional oil change and to be driven...
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Really? If you think something is "an emergency," then definitely get it fixed; but for the most part the Yaris is an extremely reliable car that needs nothing other than gas, the occasional oil change and to be driven...
Agreed. I've had mine for 6 years and 2 months now without any issues! :)