Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Horn Malfunction

About two weeks ago, my car started beeping when I got into it - I wasn't placing my hands near the steering wheel at all. I noticed the center of my steering wheel is slightly slanted on the left side moreso than the other - it's very noticeable when you glide your finger tips across it. Anyways, to stop the beeping, I removed the horn fuse. I thought it was a computer malfunction (I assumed) and tried putting the fuse back in, but the horn started blowing by itself again. Can anyone help me out? Thanks ^^".
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you hit the steering wheel hard at some point, you may have bent the sheet metal frame, which acts as the horn switch. In the picture below, with the airbag removed, the frame around the airbag is the piece I am talking about. The other possibility is that if you recently installed cruise control, you may have not properly aligned one of the bolts when reinstalling the airbag.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If you hit the steering wheel hard at some point, you may have bent the sheet metal frame, which acts as the horn switch. In the picture below, with the airbag removed, the frame around the airbag is the piece I am talking about. The other possibility is that if you recently installed cruise control, you may have not properly aligned one of the bolts when reinstalling the airbag.

Thanks for the quick response CTScott! I assumed just bending the sheet metal back to its original form will fix the problem? I haven't installed cruise control, but because I found these forums, I want to change quite a bit in my Yaris .
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
Thanks for the quick response CTScott! I assumed just bending the sheet metal back to its original form will fix the problem? I haven't installed cruise control, but because I found these forums, I want to change quite a bit in my Yaris .
If the metal frame is bent, you should be able to bend it back into shape. There are also some plastic pieces that act as insulators, and one of them may be broken. If that is the case, they would not be considered replaceable by Toyota, but they actually just bolt in. I have a complete horn switch assembly if you end up needing parts.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
If the metal frame is bent, you should be able to bend it back into shape. There are also some plastic pieces that act as insulators, and one of them may be broken. If that is the case, they would not be considered replaceable by Toyota, but they actually just bolt in. I have a complete horn switch assembly if you end up needing parts.
Thanks, I will look into it probably after thanksgiving - lacking a horn in Vegas is terrible :(
Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
dgche8

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Is there a part number for those insulator/tensioners? My girlfriend hit her steering wheel pretty hard. I disconnected the battery and waited about 5 minutes. I dismantled the steering wheel cover and noticed this plastic insulator/tensioner was cracked and teeth were broken off causing the horn to sound constantly. After after of searching this is the only thread I've found that even mentions that small piece. Need help!!!!
Thank you in advance!!!
dgche8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
dgche8

The bolt you see is the one that secures it to the steering wheel cover. It also has a washer on the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo on 2012-12-14 at 02.42.jpg (112.8 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Photo on 2012-12-14 at 02.43.jpg (110.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
dgche8

I borrowed this pic from a member post to show the overhead view of where they are located @ 12, 4, and 8 o'clock position and what they are supposed to look like not broken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW assembly.jpg (159.0 KB, 141 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That's definitely broken. Toyota only sells the entire airbag assembly. I have a couple of sets that I have harvested for the angry drivers out there.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Good to know these can break...... i will be more gentle next time someone cuts me off
Old 11-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #11
Mks_Sva
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgche8 View Post
The bolt you see is the one that secures it to the steering wheel cover. It also has a washer on the bottom.
Hey guys. Any ideas where to get these bolts for steering wheel cover?
Mks_Sva is offline   Reply With Quote