Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #1
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Unhappy Water in engine bay !

Hey guys.

I washed my car this weekend. When I started the engine so that I could move it back into the garage, I heard a belt squeal. I opened up the hood to see water in there !! all over the fuse boxes on the left and right sides !!

The belt squeel was caused by water dripping onto the pulleys .

Am I missing some seals somewhere ? Why is water getting into there ??

See the attached photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water in engine bay left.jpg (164.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg water in engine bay right.jpg (160.7 KB, 83 views)
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Water getting in is completely normal. When you drive while it's raining, water can splash up from underneath as well. However, belt squeak is not normal. I don't think water caused it. Check your belt to see if it's aged. Might need to replace it, or adjust the alternator. My guess for that is it needs to be moved to put more tension on the belt. However, I'd rather just replace the belt at that point.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #3
bairjo

Garm sells a rubber seal kit for the front and side under hood area. Most cars come with one but the Yaris didn't. I purchased one and it does make a difference. It is pre cut ready to stick in place. I think there was a thread at one time showing this.

Here is the link...
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Hoo...is-hs-ys-1.htm
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 AM   #4
JudgeM

I am pretty sure this water is not from under the car. This is from the top. It seems to be coming through the headlight area.

I am pretty sure the belt squeal is from the water, I saw the water had gone down onto the pulleys and belt as well.

bairjo, the link you posted :

"Hood Seal - Yaris. Comes with peel-off adhesive, one piece 2m (6 feet) length. This is "P" type weatherstripping very difficult to find here. We import this product from New Zealand."

I am in New Zealand. lol this should be easy to find here !
Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i am convinced water is not the cause of the belt squeal.

Water do get in the engine bay from all sides, that's why connectors are sealed and fuse boxes are covered.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeM View Post
I am pretty sure this water is not from under the car. This is from the top. It seems to be coming through the headlight area.

I am pretty sure the belt squeal is from the water, I saw the water had gone down onto the pulleys and belt as well.

bairjo, the link you posted :

"Hood Seal - Yaris. Comes with peel-off adhesive, one piece 2m (6 feet) length. This is "P" type weatherstripping very difficult to find here. We import this product from New Zealand."

I am in New Zealand. lol this should be easy to find here !
Oh, I'm just saying that water can also get in from the bottom, so it shouldn't be the cause of a squeaky belt. Washing the car will make water come in from any of the gaps from the hood.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
JudgeM

I just find this so odd. In all the cars I have owned and washed them. Never had water going into the engine bay.

I will look at the domestic market ones here and see if they have any additional insulation. It rarely rains very heavily here so i may not bother with additional insulation for now
Old 02-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #8
lamadoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3door white
Man if your using one of those self car wash be careful. Don't use the high pressure gurni and place it close while washing your car, keep it at a far distance. If there's clear coat spray from the self-wash avoid it as well.

I did this and water would flood the engine bay area SOO much more than yours. I had problems with electronic lock/unlock, Throttle position sensor and engine stalling with engine light on. All fixed now as I wash my car with care

Even if the Yaris is quite water resistant, I don't dare say its waterproof. Try resetting the fuse box by taking the ecm out for 5 secs and putting it back on again
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
weird... rain water just flows in the engine bay all the time. no issues. And i can tell alot of water gets on the accessory belt, cuz it splashes on the hood.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine bay, washing car, water