Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #37
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Thanks

Alloys are standard (local XS and XR - like mine - spec), but the leather I had done after market for around $600. Stitching matches the steering wheel and hand brake's.
Damn. That looks factory! I know you can order leather seats in Europe. Quick question: what factory made your Yaris? I know the EU makes them, as does Japan (of course), but is there a factory in South Africa? I know BMW builds cars down there...? Just curious how long the boatride was for your baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
, Great color for the 3 door . Is that a 1.3 ltr. or the 1.5 ltr. engine ? What weight oil is on the oil cap / stated in the owners manual ? Alloys do wonders . Thanks and enjoy .
So true! Those alloys and that color give the '12 Yaris some pop! The leather seats, shift boot and steering wheel complete the circle of awesomeness.

That has to be the sharpest 3-door I have seen on YW thus far. I bow to your excellent taste.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #38
JayGee

Drives: 2012 Yaris XR 3DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
, Great color for the 3 door . Is that a 1.3 ltr. or the 1.5 ltr. engine ? What weight oil is on the oil cap / stated in the owners manual ? Alloys do wonders . Thanks and enjoy .
Actually... it's only a 1.0. We only get the Yaris in 1.0 and 1.3 locally.
Oil is SAE 0W-20 - I hope this is the infor you want. Nothing written on the oil cap on the engine though.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Actually... it's only a 1.0. We only get the Yaris in 1.0 and 1.3 locally.
Oil is SAE 0W-20 - I hope this is the infor you want. Nothing written on the oil cap on the engine though.
Damn. Just 1.0, eh?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #40
JayGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
Quick question: what factory made your Yaris?
He was born in France and landed in Durban, South Africa locally. Around 5500 miles, I guess. No idea how long it would take. Hope he didn't throw up on the boat . I probably would've. I am yet to get my sea legs.

Another 400 miles from Durban via truck to the dealership where I bought it.
I had to wait a week and a half after placing the order to get it. It was already in Durban when I placed the order though, plus it took three days to fit the leather, window tinting and to do the PDI.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #41
JayGee

Quote:
Damn. Just 1.0, eh?
Yeah, performance can best be described as almost adequate .

In all seriousness, for me it's not that bad, considering it has less than a 6th of the engine capacity of my weekend toy! It's fine for a daily commute in the city, where a sports car won't get you to work any quicker, just with a bigger fuel bill.

It will eventually live at my holiday home at the coast, where performance will be slightly better. I am used to renting sub 1.0 cars when away on holidays anyway.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #42
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
He was born in France and landed in Durban, South Africa locally. Around 5500 miles, I guess. No idea how long it would take. Hope he didn't throw up on the boat . I probably would've. I am yet to get my sea legs.

Another 400 miles from Durban via truck to the dealership where I bought it.
I had to wait a week and a half after placing the order to get it. It was already in Durban when I placed the order though, plus it took three days to fit the leather, window tinting and to do the PDI.
Awesome.

Quote:
Yeah, performance can best be described as almost adequate .

In all seriousness, for me it's not that bad, considering it has less than a 6th of the engine capacity of my weekend toy! It's fine for a daily commute in the city, where a sports car won't get you to work any quicker, just with a bigger fuel bill.

It will eventually live at my holiday home at the coast, where performance will be slightly better. I am used to renting sub 1.0 cars when away on holidays anyway.
Man...What do you do for a living?! I'm not one of those class warfare losers that hates a person because they do well. I am just curious.

It's the internet. We don't know who you are, you can be honest.

You're in the mafia, right?

What's a "hit" like, man? Is the 1.0 Yaris a good getaway car?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #43
JayGee

Quote:
Man...What do you do for a living?
I'm in the accounting profession. So boring, I almost fell asleep just writing this.

Quote:
Is the 1.0 Yaris a good getaway car?
Personally, I wouldn't recommend the 1.0 as a (fast) getaway car... Not if you are trying to get away from anyone other than on foot, horse or scooter.
The trunk is rather on the cramped side for mafia purposes anyway. No offense to any "Dexters" out there who do use their Yaris for recreational () purposes though.

Anyway, enough of the thread hijack.

Why so few pictures in a pictures thread
Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #44
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
I'm in the accounting profession. So boring, I almost fell asleep just writing this.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the 1.0 as a (fast) getaway car... Not if you are trying to get away from anyone other than on foot, horse or scooter.
The trunk is rather on the cramped side for mafia purposes anyway. No offense to any "Dexters" out there who do use their Yaris for recreational () purposes though.

Anyway, enough of the thread hijack.

Why so few pictures in a pictures thread
Very nice. My friend is going to school to be an actuarial (sp?). Good money in finance, I am told.

Hats off to you.

I think the lack of pics is because the 2012s are just now starting to land in real numbers. Give it time. More Yaris owners will find this site and contribute.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #45
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
Ahhh lagoon blue very nice !!! look at those seats and that climate control !!!! i tell you us people in the US get shafted everytime when it comes to nice car tidbits.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #46
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPALK719 View Post
Ahhh lagoon blue very nice !!! look at those seats and that climate control !!!! i tell you us people in the US get shafted everytime when it comes to nice car tidbits.
You are correct, but very few Americans will pay $20k+ for a small car...Mini excluded.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #47
SineWave

Drives: Gen3 Yaris ZR Manual
I like the dual climate control. Mine only comes with single CC. Does your XR have the "secret hidden floor" in the boot?
SineWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #48
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
Quote:
You are correct, but very few Americans will pay $20k+ for a small car...Mini excluded.
yea your right... i wouldnt have paid more then the 15,300 i purchased mine for. south florida dealers have a horrific price markup. mine with a sticker price of almost $20K.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #49
SineWave

Mine was AU$21k, equivalent to US$22550. Worth it for all the extras, imho.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #50
JayGee

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SineWave View Post
I like the dual climate control. Mine only comes with single CC. Does your XR have the "secret hidden floor" in the boot?
Yes, it does.
It's not a secret anymore now that you've told everyone on the forum about it though
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #51
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
yea your right... i wouldnt have paid more then the 15,300 i purchased mine for. south florida dealers have a horrific price markup. mine with a sticker price of almost $20K.
I think the stripped Yaris with wind-up windows, MP3 and CD player, 9 airbags, etc. is a fantastic value at $15-16k. Much above that for the stripper hatch, and it starts getting less of a "value". $17k is Nissan Altima money (after a bit of haggling with the dealer). Unfortunately, the American mindset is "bigger is always better"...Sigh.

Quote:
Mine was AU$21k, equivalent to US$22550. Worth it for all the extras, imho.
I have no-doubt it was worth the money. Problem is, at least in the USA (where I live), it is very difficult to make a business case to Joe Sixpack who can get a Chevy Silverado (pickup truck) for just a bit more scratch (with cash on the hood: that is, manufacturer rebates).

I love the European idea of small, well-built, yet still well-equipped small cars. You can get a glass roof on the Yaris in the EU! I would love a glass roof!

Quote:
Yes, it does.
It's not a secret anymore now that you've told everyone on the forum about it though
What secret storage area in the boot? It's raining outside right now, so I can't check it.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #52
SineWave

There is a false floor that gives about 10-15cm of extra room above the real floor above the spare tire. I keep an umbrella, a multimeter, hi-vis vests and some tools in there so it doesn't look cluttered.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #53
JayGee

Quote:
Ahhh lagoon blue very nice !!!
It's bizarrely called Bubblegum Metallic locally.
I've seen somewhere else on a website (UK maybe), it's called Deep Aqua. Same code (788) though.

I've only seen 2 others in that colour so far and one is still on the showroom floor.
That said, the gen 3's are still very scarce locally.
The gen 2 was very popular locally. You literally see at least one in almost every parking lot in the city! I'm hoping the gen 3 will be too.
I plan to keep mine for about 1 1/2 - 2 years and I'm hoping for a good resale price. That was one of the main reasons for getting it over the competition's offerings, which are good. The Rio beats it hands down for value for money locally. Kia still doesn't have a great reputation, and as a result resale, locally though. And man, does their pre-sales service suck.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #54
JayGee

Quote:
What secret storage area in the boot? It's raining outside right now, so I can't check it.
This:
Quote:
There is a false floor that gives about 10-15cm of extra room above the real floor above the spare tire. I keep an umbrella, a multimeter, hi-vis vests and some tools in there so it doesn't look cluttered.
I keep my emergency kit - supplied by Toyota - in there. Pitty my notebook bag *just* doesn't fit in there.

I'd be happy to take a pic, should you need more clarity on this.