Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
LilyOfTheYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Various problems with service at shop (green coolant and accelerator rattling noise)

Hello, I posted a thread in another section of the forum but I think this may be a better location to post. Any suggestions are welcomed.
I started going to a new shop to get my car services and my once great Yaris is now full of problems. Back then it was at around 89,000 miles
I went in for an oil change and inspection for my 2007 Yaris. I ended up having to do:
1) rear brake shoes and they convinced me into doing a coolant flush (big mistake).
I get that done and within days, I start to hear some strange squeaking sound when braking and every single time I hit the accelerator and pass 40mph I hear a sort of rattling sound, like something is "stuck in there". It's like a rattling sound of something loose or a little squeaking sounds.

2) I went back to have them check the sounds. They tell me all the noises are due to my front brake shoes needed to be replaced. I get that done and am told my tire has a irreparable hole in it. (Which ended up being a lie, I took it to my tire place and there was no hole).
I replaced the front brakes and the noises were still there. Squeak while braking and rattling when accelerating.

3) I go back again and explain all of this and was now told that the brake noise is due to the brake drums needed to be replaced and the front brakes needing to be redone. I am told that the rattling sound while accelerating could be coming from the heat shield which they tried to fix.

4) All the noises are still there and I found out that they put GREEN coolant on my Yaris, which is supposed to have red. I went back to complain (and to try to get the red coolant) but they assured me they used "Khameleon" coolant which is suitable for all cars and I was so mad that they finally fixed the brake sound. This time it was no longer the "brake drums" as they previously said it was. Now it was just the front brakes needing to be redone again but no word on the rattling accelerator sound.

My problem is. Now, I am stuck with this green coolant that I don't want. I don't know if "Khameleon" coolant is ok for my Yaris. And I am growing more and more concerned about the rattling sound while accelerating. And I can't trust this shop anymore. My car does not sound the way it used to, it's just noisy. I keep getting the cool light for a few minutes, which I never had before. Overall my car just sounds like a truck now. If it helps, I had a new serpentine installed somewhere else a few days before this shop, but the place installed it wrong and I arrived to this shop to get it aligned properly)

Does anyone have any similar experiences. Any bad experiences with coolant flushes or "khameleon" coolant? Rattling noise solution?

Any tips on what I should check, please let me know. I am becoming desperate. I am going to go somewhere else to get this checked but any ideas would be welcomed.

Thank you so much.
LilyOfTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
With the coolant, if they truly drained and flushed the system, then you are OK. The key is not mixing the different coolant types, as precipitates can form when they are mixed.

The rattling and squeaking could be coming from the drive belt, if they messed with it when they did their work. Also, check the oil and transmission fluid (if your car is an automatic) levels. If they accidentally drained the transmission fluid, instead of the oil, it could be the tranny making the noise.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
LilyOfTheYaris

Thank you. Interestingly enough....I had this done in January and they were trying to convince me to get a new cabin air filter installed for $60, so I said no. Then they brought it out to me to show me how dirty it was. I said no, I could get it someone else done for free (I can do it myself). This was back in January. I bought a new cabin air filter a few days ago and I opened up the place to install it and to my SHOCK there was nothing in there. The technician took out the filter but never put it back in. Really, the worse place I could have gone.
As for the drive belt, I may sound ignorant but every time someone says drive belt I assumed it's the serpentine belt? If so, I HOPE that is it and nothing major. I will have it checked out somewhere else, this the shop I went to can't do anything right.

My only concern is (since I have been driving without a cabin air filter since JANUARY thanks to the incompetent shop) that nothing might have gone in and harmed my fan. I really hope it has nothing to do with that rattling noise. It's sad, I went back on one of my countless times to get a full inspection but they could not catch a MISSING cabin air filter!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyOfTheYaris View Post
Thank you. Interestingly enough....I had this done in January and they were trying to convince me to get a new cabin air filter installed for $60, so I said no. Then they brought it out to me to show me how dirty it was. I said no, I could get it someone else done for free (I can do it myself). This was back in January. I bought a new cabin air filter a few days ago and I opened up the place to install it and to my SHOCK there was nothing in there. The technician took out the filter but never put it back in. Really, the worse place I could have gone.
As for the drive belt, I may sound ignorant but every time someone says drive belt I assumed it's the serpentine belt? If so, I HOPE that is it and nothing major. I will have it checked out somewhere else, this the shop I went to can't do anything right.

My only concern is (since I have been driving without a cabin air filter since JANUARY thanks to the incompetent shop) that nothing might have gone in and harmed my fan. I really hope it has nothing to do with that rattling noise. It's sad, I went back on one of my countless times to get a full inspection but they could not catch a MISSING cabin air filter!!!
Correct on drive belt = serpentine belt.

You mentioned in your other thread that the "cool" light stays on much longer since the coolant change was done. Did they by any chance replace the thermostat while changing the coolant? If so, they may have either installed the wrong one or installed it without its gasket (hence rattle noise). This would also prevent it from blocking the flow of coolant until the engine warms up, which would make the cool light stay on longer.

For the cabin filter, running for a couple of months without it should not cause issues (unless you live in an area with a lot of airborne stuff {pollen, leaves, pine needles, etc.}). Even then, the worst cause would be a plugged condensate drain for the A/C, which would cause water to back up in the air box and potentially a bit of a smell from the A/C.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
LilyOfTheYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Correct on drive belt = serpentine belt.

You mentioned in your other thread that the "cool" light stays on much longer since the coolant change was done. Did they by any chance replace the thermostat while changing the coolant?
No, they supposedly just did a coolant flush, not like I can trust that place. They put sealant on it too, so who knows what else they did.

I must say, when you said it could be the drive belt causing that gas pedal noise, it opened my eyes. I went to an actual reputable shop and they tightened it and now the noise is almost gone or faint. They said if the noises are still there after what they did, it means the belt is low quality. But the fact that tightening it actually decreased it tells me it's the belt.

So THANK YOU!!! :D