Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scumfromohio View Post
Yes, its over flowing the reserve tank. That's the only place I can think I'm losing the coolant. When I seen it, it was only a little bit, but it has to be going somewhere ya know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
If it starts at the "cold" level in the reserve tank and then overflows it when the engine is hot, then you still have air in the system. Air expands far more than coolant does, so the air bubble pushes the coolant out.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:58 AM   #20
scumfromohio

Drives: 08 White Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If it starts at the "cold" level in the reserve tank and then overflows it when the engine is hot, then you still have air in the system. Air expands far more than coolant does, so the air bubble pushes the coolant out.
I was burping it for over an hour tonight. I noticed that whenever the fan in the front of the car would turn on or I would turn on the heat the coolant which I filled to the top would lower a good amount. So at first I thought it was just air bubbles, but then I noticed a growing puddle underneath the car. I'm wondering if it's dumping when the fan turns on or heat is on. Maybe the heater core. But shouldn't that dump inside the car? Idk, I know the pressure test came back no leaks.

scumfromohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The fan kicks on about the same time that the thermostat opens, so at that time the coolant start fully circulating beyond the engine.

If the heater core is leaking the coolant will go into the bottom of the airbox, where it will drain from the condensate drain tube (which is mounted to the bottom of the firewall on the passenger side).

Park the car over a dry spot and try it again, noting where under the car it seems to be leaking from.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #22
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
It might have an internal head gasket leak, this is when combustion chamber gases get into the cooling system. Any air that's in the cooling system expands a lot when heated. They have testing tools to determine that.
On cars that I work on that seem to have air in the cooling system, I unhook one of the heater hoses & fill it up. A funnel on the radiator might help too.
To be honest my mechanical experience with the yaris is limited, it been the most reliable car I've owned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesOYT6BN5L.jpg (7.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg images5S920O56.jpg (10.3 KB, 51 views)
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #23
scumfromohio

Well it was tons of air bubbles caused by a problem with the head gasket. It's all fixed up. Thank you guys for all your help

Old 04-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #24
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
So, with 240,000 miles you had to replace the head gasket?

Was that due to it overheating? And then, if the answer is yes, did it overheat because of a faulty thermostat?

Just trying to establish what I might need to keep an eye on as mileage on our little guy climbs.

Thank you for your input.
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #25
scumfromohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post
So, with 240,000 miles you had to replace the head gasket?

Was that due to it overheating? And then, if the answer is yes, did it overheat because of a faulty thermostat?

Just trying to establish what I might need to keep an eye on as mileage on our little guy climbs.

Thank you for your input.
I can't say for sure what caused it. A couple months ago my serpentine belt broke and I didn't realize it and kept driving. Which in turn killed my water pump and thermostat. But then no problems for a few months probably cause I towed it home as soon as it started overheating when the water pump went out. Then my coolant engine filler neck and radiator cap went which kept causing my car to overheat, but I couldn't figure out what it was. As soon as it would overheat I would stop and put coolant in it but I guess at some point it may have overheated a little worse then I thought. So I believe the filler neck and radiator cap is what caused the overheating to mess up the head gasket. But with the history I can't say for sure I'm just going with what happened later on. I've talked to a few people with civics who have gone through tons of radiator caps but I've never heard of that till this. At 240000 I can't complain about replacing the head gasket especially since this car hasn't given me any problems til the water pump. It probably wouldn't of happened if I would have just taken it to someone when it all first started but I wanted to try and fix it myself haha, oh well.