Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Zombiesrock

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue
HELP!!!

Ok, so I don't have a way to know if what my car is doing is normal or not, so I was hoping some of you who have 07 HBs could help me. I have posted about my car shaking and have been doing several things to eliminate this, but now i wonder if its really even a problem. Can any of you watch how your engine looks/moves while its running??? WHen my car is in park or neutral the engine does not move, just idles quietly, but when i put it in gear (any gear) it shakes rather violently. (i have to pull ebrake obviously to check this out, or have my husband put it in gear while i look at the difference.) I dont think it can be the power brake booster because using the e-brake and not using the brakes does not eliminate this. I just got a whole fuel system cleaning done using the BG products, and the motor mount (the engine torque mount?) is fine as well. I havent checked the other two, but i didnt think they would cause a rocking problem. I have NO check engine light on and my spark plugs look fine. My air filter is clean as well. So i am at a loss as to if my car is even running wrong or not? If any of you dont mind doing this test and letting me know i would love you forever:) oh my car has 141,000 on it.
Thanks!!!!!
Zombiesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Why do you believe that the hydraulic dampened motor mount is fine?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
Zombiesrock

I am not sure it thats the same one, but it was the motor mount underneath the engine towards the firewall, kinda hidden in the frame of the car next to the transmission? My husband and i took it out to replace it, thinking that it was the problem, but it was perfect. no tears or anything wrong with it.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Check the big round one on the other side. It is filled with fluid to dampen the vibration.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
Zombiesrock

If I am looking at the engine bay from the front of my car where would I look? And when I find it what should it look like? What are signs of it being bad since it's filled with fluid? Thank you for helping me by the way. You always answer my posts and it's always very helpful:)
Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiesrock View Post
If I am looking at the engine bay from the front of my car where would I look? And when I find it what should it look like? What are signs of it being bad since it's filled with fluid? Thank you for helping me by the way. You always answer my posts and it's always very helpful:)
It's on the car's right side, just behind the headlight. It's a 4" round rubber thing. It is designed to absorb the engine vibration, rather than transferring it to the chassis. With the engine running watch it. It should move quite a bit. If it looks rigid then it has gone bad.

If it looks OK, check the area around the back side of the transmission for a small rock that flew up and jammed between the tranny and the chassis. Someone on here once had a similar problem to yours and ended up finding a little rock to be the culprit.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Zombiesrock

Ok, so its on the passenger side of the car. Its kinda tall, like a big round rubber thing and is 4 or so inches tall and has brackets going to the car and big one going to the engine. I pulled the e-brake and put my car in gear and the only thing that moved on it (the mount) was the bracket that was directly attached to the engine. (if i was looking at the right thing) nothing else on it moved. the big round rubber thing didn't budge at all. Also, my engine sounded a little clacky, but i think thats because it is so bouncy, it doesn't make clacky noises when its in neutral or park, when the engine itself isn't shaking. Is it supposed to be inflated or anything? The top of the big tall rubber thing was depressed inward.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok, so its on the passenger side of the car. Its kinda tall, like a big round rubber thing and is 4 or so inches tall and has brackets going to the car and big one going to the engine. I pulled the e-brake and put my car in gear and the only thing that moved on it (the mount) was the bracket that was directly attached to the engine. (if i was looking at the right thing) nothing else on it moved. the big round rubber thing didn't budge at all. Also, my engine sounded a little clacky, but i think thats because it is so bouncy, it doesn't make clacky noises when its in neutral or park, when the engine itself isn't shaking. Is it supposed to be inflated or anything? The top of the big tall rubber thing was depressed inward.
The top big round part is attached to the part that bolts to the car and just the under part that is connected to the engine moves. The top rubber part is kind of saggy even on a new one.

If you just grab the engine (with it not running and try to rock it, you should really not be able to move it if all the mounts are good).
Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Zombiesrock

How much strength is required for that test? I am a fairly small woman and tried to rock it back and forth and was able to move it just a little, but it feels pretty sturdy, I will try to find a rock this weekend in the place you talked about when i can have my husband help me get it up on ramps. Do you think new spark plugs or anything would help? I read on this forum that weak coils could be a problem, but if the coils were out wouldn't I have a light on? Man o man it is hard to try to diagnose a car on the internet:)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
How much strength is required for that test? I am a fairly small woman and tried to rock it back and forth and was able to move it just a little, but it feels pretty sturdy, I will try to find a rock this weekend in the place you talked about when i can have my husband help me get it up on ramps. Do you think new spark plugs or anything would help? I read on this forum that weak coils could be a problem, but if the coils were out wouldn't I have a light on? Man o man it is hard to try to diagnose a car on the internet:)
I think if your problem was engine related that you would see it even when not in gear. I think it is more of a mechanical issue. Does the engine sound like it is running rough?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Zombiesrock

i can hear the engine, and it kinda makes a clackedy clackedy sound when its running, but it is really quiet in park and in neutral, just louder in gear. My car use to be quiet though, this has been ongoing for probably over a year now, the shaking started when i took a trip to see my family in new mexico almost 2 years ago, and i thought it was from crappy gas and high altitude, but it never went away, then i just chalked it up to being older. I didnt think anything about it till i saw the difference between how my engine was running in neutral vs in gear a few months ago, when i started trying to figure out what was wrong with it.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
Zombiesrock

Does your engine shake at all when its in gear or is it still mostly smooth like it is in park or neutral? (other than when it drops in RPMS to save gas)?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Does your engine shake at all when its in gear or is it still mostly smooth like it is in park or neutral? (other than when it drops in RPMS to save gas)?
I just tried it on one of mine and there is no discernible difference in the engine vibration between park, reverse, neutral or drive.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #14
Zombiesrock

Thanks for checking, mine is quite obvious, it goes from smooth and purrs like a kitten to growling and bouncing in the engine bay. Do you think it could have anything to do with the transmission since it only does it in gear? like something going from the tranny to the engine is not working right?
I am going to have the mount looked at, it could be that still possible, but when you said it may not be the engine , it could be mechanical, what other things would that entail? I thought it all was mechanical:)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Zombiesrock

I don't know if it matters or not, but when i had this car for about a year (i did buy it brand new off the lot) i hit a dear and did significant damage, like 8k worth, to my car. It only had 23k on it then and I haven't had any issues after i got it fixed. Is there anything that could have broken faster or anything like that because of a big fat dear hitting my car?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #16
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Do u have a YouTube account if so post vid and share link here with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #17
Zombiesrock

I don't but I can make one tomorrow, then try to take a video, not sure if my I phone will be able to capture it, but i will try and if so i will post it!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for checking, mine is quite obvious, it goes from smooth and purrs like a kitten to growling and bouncing in the engine bay. Do you think it could have anything to do with the transmission since it only does it in gear? like something going from the tranny to the engine is not working right?
I am going to have the mount looked at, it could be that still possible, but when you said it may not be the engine , it could be mechanical, what other things would that entail? I thought it all was mechanical:)
I was looking at the AT service manual earlier to see if there is a symptom listed like what you are seeing (I was thinking that it may be torque converter related). I didn't see a symptom like yours, but I still would not doubt that if it is not something simple (like a bad mount or something jammed between the tranny and chassis) that it could be transmission related.