Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #19
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Ok not trying to get into an argument here, I love YW peeps.

Yes, you can notch or cut into the stock bumpers. I wouldn't know first hand because i went with the real JDM route. For the rear, I have C-One bumper brace bar, instead of reusing USDM and cutting the corners off. Would I trust the C-one bar in a crash probably not, but i still have my stock rear one if i want to go that route?

For the front, also no first hand experience, but if you have to notch it, then that is saying that it isn't compatible with JDM. I can do side by side pictures of the USDM/JDM - brackets/bar on and off the car to illustrate.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #20
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
I can do side by side pictures of the USDM/JDM - brackets/bar on and off the car to illustrate.
Please do.

Also, could somebody please respond to post#8?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #21
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I think something got lost in translation. My point was you can notch the existing USDM crash bars, not notching the JDM bumpers. So notching front and rear will work with front and rear JDM bumpers while retaining USDM crash bars.

BUUUUT this doesn't jive with the OP's wants anyways so I just threw it out there as an option that can be done in case he/she can't get what is needed.

Quote:
Ok not trying to get into an argument here, I love YW peeps.

Yes, you can notch or cut into the stock bumpers. I wouldn't know first hand because i went with the real JDM route. For the rear, I have C-One bumper brace bar, instead of reusing USDM and cutting the corners off. Would I trust the C-one bar in a crash probably not, but i still have my stock rear one if i want to go that route?

For the front, also no first hand experience, but if you have to notch it, then that is saying that it isn't compatible with JDM. I can do side by side pictures of the USDM/JDM - brackets/bar on and off the car to illustrate.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #22
Innovative 1

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB 5spd
Now your wanting me to get the rear vis rs bumper. Decisions decisions. That looks sic KCALB SIRAY!
Innovative 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #23
ezhacker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
I think something got lost in translation. My point was you can notch the existing USDM crash bars, not notching the JDM bumpers. So notching front and rear will work with front and rear JDM bumpers while retaining USDM crash bars.
No i got it lol. I know what you mean. Notching or cutting the USDM would work, but thats more effort vs just getting the right parts in the first place.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:00 AM   #24
Innovative 1

How much should I trim off if I need too?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:14 AM   #25
ezhacker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Please do.

Also, could somebody please respond to post#8?
The JDM brace looks exactly like the brace pictured in post 2.
Mine is pretty mangled from a lady backing into my car, but ill have the time to do the photo comparisons i mentioned in the day.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #26
Innovative 1

Cool beans. Dont want to cut it too much or not enough.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #27
ezhacker1

Ok so here it is, the comparison between JDM brace and bracket to USDM with authentic JDM bumper.
** Yeah the black jdm one is beat up from a crash, but still illustrates my point**

Both bumper beams are the same length but the depth, protrudes out more on the JDM (uses metal in place of foam absorber), height is the same. Using stock beam and brackets, obviously the bumper wont clip on but to illustrate it see the picture.

Basically, you need the JDM brackets to fit authentic JDM bumper. On the last picture, you can see where the real one has the protruding plastic about 2 inches. Im guessing that the fiberglass ones dont.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5919.jpg (269.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5922.jpg (376.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5923.jpg (428.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5924.jpg (184.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5925.jpg (243.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5929.jpg (355.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5930.jpg (397.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5931.jpg (262.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5933.jpg (449.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5937.jpg (315.7 KB, 140 views)

Old 04-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #28
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Not to hijack the thread, but what about the Euro versions of the RS bumper covers? Are they the same as the JDM bumper covers(front and back)? Was wondering what I would need, brackets/crash bar to fit Euro RS bumper covers to a US made car. I have found some Euro RS bumper covers, but don't want to drop the money for them if they won't work.

Thanks in advance.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #29
beaker

Quote:
Ok so here it is, the comparison between JDM brace and bracket to USDM with authentic JDM bumper.
** Yeah the black jdm one is beat up from a crash, but still illustrates my point**

Both bumper beams are the same length but the depth, protrudes out more on the JDM (uses metal in place of foam absorber), height is the same. Using stock beam and brackets, obviously the bumper wont clip on but to illustrate it see the picture.

Basically, you need the JDM brackets to fit authentic JDM bumper. On the last picture, you can see where the real one has the protruding plastic about 2 inches. Im guessing that the fiberglass ones dont.
How much difference in depth between a JDM crash bar/JDM brackets setup vs. US crash bar/brackets setup? I thought the JDM bumper covers were shorter than the US bumper covers, so I would think if you were gonna run say a JDM set up, you would need crash bar and brackets from a JDM car. From your pics, it looks like the JDM brackets are shorter than the US ones, but the JDM crash bar is actually deeper than the US one, which seems odd that the JDM crash bar would be deeper since the bumper cover is shorter. Almost seems like with the differences in the parts, you could run either setup, US bar/US brackets or JDM bar/JDM brackets, and be roughly the same depth.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #30
ezhacker1

I'd say 2 inch differnce, yes if you want to go full JDM like I once had, do it. But after the crash. I tried the usdm bar and I was surprised it works.

Like I said , JDM protrudes out cuz the extra sheet metal is acting like the foam absorber that a usdm has. I think what makes the difference is the JDM is swiss cheesed so the bumper extrusions I pictured. Just mate inside the bumper holes.

So yeah most people have replicas so maybe cutting into stock works if you want to go that way.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #31
beaker

Quote:
I'd say 2 inch differnce, yes if you want to go full JDM like I once had, do it. But after the crash. I tried the usdm bar and I was surprised it works.

Like I said , JDM protrudes out cuz the extra sheet metal is acting like the foam absorber that a usdm has. I think what makes the difference is the JDM is swiss cheesed so the bumper extrusions I pictured. Just mate inside the bumper holes.

So yeah most people have replicas so maybe cutting into stock works if you want to go that way.
Cool, thanks for the info. Now just gotta wait until the OP gets his VIS bumper, to see if it's setup to use JDM or US crash bar and brackets.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #32
Innovative 1

Thinking I made the right choice in getting the shorter brackets. Before I am 100% certain of this I will try to fit the vis rs fiberglass bumper using stock brackets and crash bar. If fits return brackets I guess.
Thanks for the pics ezhacker. Worth a thousand words.

Last edited by Innovative 1; 04-25-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: koodoos
Old 04-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #33
ezhacker1

No problem, just helping out the community. Once you get your bumper in the mail, we can add that information for replica bumper / brace/ bracket compatibility.

I might do a comparison of the stock rear and C-One bumper brace.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #34
beaker

Another thought I had about the VIS replica bumper cover is whether or not it comes with the JDM upper and lower grill inserts, or aftermarket wire mesh.

Please let us know when you get it in.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #35
Innovative 1

Will be here tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 AM   #36
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Im curious to see how it works for you as mine was done with just the crash bar per Toyota. Mine goes into the body shop tomorrow and i have another vitz rs bumper replica that will be installed.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote