Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
soldout

Drives: 2010 Blazing Blue 3 Door LB
Best location to wire in extra 12v outlets

I plan on powering a dedicated GPS, charge 2 cell phones, 2 cell phone battery chargers(the ones that are batteries), and a heated lunchbox. I always plug the heated lunchbox into the factory 12v outlet. I plan to add 3 extra outlets to the Yaris, 2 in the passenger pocket and 1 next to the factory outlet. Where is the best place to wire in the power. I would like to have all the outlets switched so they dont stay powered after I shut the engine off and remove the key.

Thanks
95' - Delsol VTEC ~ The Racecar
12' - Burgman 400 ~ Garage Queen
09' - Agility 125 ~ 80mpg Daily Rider
09' - Metropolitan ~ Weee
14' - Ecosmart Metro ~ Razor
soldout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Look at my remote start DIY for the ignition switched power wire on the ignition switch connector. Use that to drive the coil of a relay and feed the power to your devices via the relay's contacts from the large constant power feed on the under-dash fuse panel.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
soldout

Drives: 2010 Blazing Blue 3 Door LB
Ok, i understand the ignition switch is inside the steering column. Do I get power from any of the switched wires inside the connector clip? Green-Ignition 1 looks to be the thickest wire of the bunch or the white Accessory wire. Also what relay would you recommend, same one as used for the fog lights?
95' - Delsol VTEC ~ The Racecar
12' - Burgman 400 ~ Garage Queen
09' - Agility 125 ~ 80mpg Daily Rider
09' - Metropolitan ~ Weee
14' - Ecosmart Metro ~ Razor
soldout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldout View Post
Ok, i understand the ignition switch is inside the steering column. Do I get power from any of the switched wires inside the connector clip? Green-Ignition 1 looks to be the thickest wire of the bunch or the white Accessory wire. Also what relay would you recommend, same one as used for the fog lights?
You can use either the green or the pink. Remember that the ignition switch wire is only feeding the relay's coil, so there is negligible power that you are dealing with there.

For the relay, a "standard" automotive relay will work just fine. The terminals labeled 85 and 86 are coil, so connect one to the ignition wire above and the other to a ground point.

30 is the common for the contacts, so connect that to the power terminal in the under dash fuse panel (make sure that you use an inline fuse between the terminal and the relay). The fuse should be sized appropriately for the size of the wire you are using and the maximum draw of the devices you will be feeding with it.

87 is the normally open contact, so that one will be the feed to your new power outlet.