Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
What do you think of the 2019 Honda Insight (Hybrid Sedan)?

It looks better than the latest Civic or Accord models (or Corolla/Camry for that matter), and isn't very large (same size class as the Civic/Corolla). I would give it a solid 6.5 on overall styling out of 10. 55 MPG combined driving is sweet. No hard choices on transmission - it doesn't really have one.

Major styling dislikes would be that oversized chrome unibrow that Honda likes to put on their models, and the 'turbine' alloy wheel design (I personally don't like directional styling on wheels). The muffler/exhaust also looks pretty boring & uninspired. I like the rear tail lights, the rear design in general. The front lighting looks nice. The overall front design looks fairly normal & inoffensive, minus the chrome unibrow. Nothing crazy or too edgy for its own good. It certain beats the pants off of any of the various Toyota Prius abominations.

Priced between the Civic & Accord (& available in 3 trim levels), I think this hybrid will be a hit for Honda, because it looks like a reasonably normal sedan/car, and should appeal to those who would also be interested in a Civic/Accord, Corolla/Camry, or a Prius/hybrid in general.

Last edited by Kalispel; 04-03-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
It certainly has grown up. I think I like it, unlike the first gen which certainly made me gag back in the day.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Very handsome sedan, but sedans aren't selling well. Would have preferred a hatchback like the previous generation.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
1st gen insights are sweet! they weigh almost nothing when you remove the battery. the only issue is the thin rear tires with the skirts on. they are a great shell to build on.
the new insight looks like an iA in the rear. the front looks good from that angle, i guess. you really can't see much. that muffler is poop. they should have hid it more. the arches look okay. i really like directional wheels; but not fake ones. i bet all 4 are right side ones, like usual. i see it has an independent rear. i wonder what engine it has, (turbo? ha!) and if it is still electric assist or full hybrid... hybrid electric? ya right! why doesn't someone build one of those?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #5
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
1st gen insights are sweet! they weigh almost nothing when you remove the battery. the only issue is the thin rear tires with the skirts on. they are a great shell to build on.
the new insight looks like an iA in the rear. the front looks good from that angle, i guess. you really can't see much. that muffler is poop. they should have hid it more. the arches look okay. i really like directional wheels; but not fake ones. i bet all 4 are right side ones, like usual. i see it has an independent rear. i wonder what engine it has, (turbo? ha!) and if it is still electric assist or full hybrid... hybrid electric? ya right! why doesn't someone build one of those?
Based on the information out there:

"The Insight features what Honda calls its two-motor hybrid system: a 1.5-liter engine that works with an electric motor and hybrid battery pack, for a combined 151 horsepower. Honda says in most conditions it will operate on electric power only, using the gasoline engine as a generator to charge the battery pack.

The multimode direct drive setup works with the electric motor operating on a single gear ratio, while the gas engine uses a different ratio for higher-speed driving."
Old 04-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Not bad! Not something I'd buy for myself but I don't hate it.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 PM   #7
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Not bad! Not something I'd buy for myself but I don't hate it.
I can see that. I really am sort of keen on my next car being a good-quality Japanese brand hybrid. Unfortunately, Toyota refuses to bring a decent, 'normal-looking' (not fugly to me at least) small hybrid vehicle like the Yaris or Auris to the U.S. market. I can't even begin to convey how much I hate their Prius lineup of hybrids. While I do prefer hatchbacks over sedans, the new/2019 version Honda Insight does currently look like the next-best-thing in the U.S. to a hybrid Yaris or Auris.

Luckily, I am not in a hurry to buy another car, so I can sit back & watch the new/refreshed market offerings over the next 2-4 years, and see what might change in that time. The 2019 version Insight (or Corolla hatch) will probably be getting it's mid-cycle refresh before I ever get around to taking the plunge on my next vehicle. Likewise, the next-gen global-platform Yaris should be on the market by then (2021 model year I am guessing, assuming it isn't discontinued in the U.S. market) Toyota might even get around to offering the hybrid versions of their vehicles that I am looking for by then. Until then, I just keep enjoying my current Yaris - which has been a perpetually-underrated gem to own/drive.

Last edited by Kalispel; 04-05-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:54 AM   #8
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Unfortunately, Toyota refuses to bring a decent, 'normal-looking' (not fugly to me at least) small hybrid vehicle like the Yaris or Auris to the U.S. market. I can't even begin to convey how much I hate their Prius lineup of hybrids.
...and that right there is why I am done with Toyota on this continent. Until they bring something on the market here that doesn't wanna make you poke your eyes and that's actually built in Japan, I woun't be going anywhere near any of these new Toyotas.

It's a real shame too. Toyota has been such a good brand up until the early 2010's, producing great cars that were visually attractive and quite ergonomic. Saddly, when they remove convenience features from previous generation vehicles, "re-design" an even worse cabin space than before, and don't even bother to offer more powertrains, that they make available to other markets, then they deseve critisism.

I do hope that one day they'll realize that they've lost their way a bit and eventually get back on the right track...
Old 04-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Looks ok. Not going to be jumping on the hybrid bandwagon though.

These cars are just an enormous repair bill waiting to happen.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #10
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
Looks like a more boring civic.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
Looks like a more boring civic.
More like a less-ugly Civic.