Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
First US 2ZR-FE Yaris swap gains exposure

Some of you may know already about how the Norcal Vitz/Vios club got together over a couple weekends to complete a T-Sport of our own.

Heres the article!:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201....html?m=1#more

Here is the DIY:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...256#post775256

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-14-2016 at 11:02 PM.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
real nice. congrats to the team that completed the job.
I have one question,
"The car's builder, Tom Armstrong, of Armstrong Racing, said the swap was literally a plug and play affair"
I assume this means the motor goes in bolt for bolt, however what about the ecu and gearbox aspect? Does the 1nz gearbox bolt to the 2zr engine or is the 2zr gearbox required?
Again great job. I have been considering selling my s/c to do this swap and been trying to gather as much info as possible.
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Thanks for the support!

Because this project was a auto > manual trans conversion also, we used the Xd manual trans and axles. Ive heard from many sources that the 1nz and 2zr bell housings are compatible, but I wont have a final answer untill I source another 2zr for my personal car.

The ECU came from the Xd also.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:10 AM   #4
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Very nice! Any chance you can give us a full parts list for the swap?
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #5
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
Thanks armstrongRacing. Keep the info on the swap coming in.
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
That is awesome. Man, the yaris you used for the swap looks exactly like my car but with less doors.

If i can manage to cook my engine, i would so go for the 2zr swap.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
This is great. I'm curious as to all the parts needed to make it work. It'd be nice if you could just swap the engine and keep the transmission.

Are all of the connectors compatible? ie: the fuel injectors etc
Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTHatch View Post
Very nice! Any chance you can give us a full parts list for the swap?
Untill I know for sure if we can/cannot use the Yaris transmission, this list may need future modification. I have a spare Yaris trans already, Im currently attempting to source another 2zr for some r&d.

1) Salvaged 2zr-fe from scion Xd~$1500. This must be a complete engine with all accesories due to the updated drive belt system. Manifolds, harness.

2) Fuel injection hose from Xd. ~$60 (its longer), air conditioning compressor lines. ~$130 (compressor specific, but attatch to the lines in the car with no modifications).

3) Passenger side engine mount from Xd. ~$170

4) ECU from Scion Xd. ~$130 (depending on your car, you will need a immobilizer or non-immobilizer version....and if you have immobilizer keys will need to be registered).

5) Xd OEM airbox or intake with MAF sensor. ~$300 (updated style) and exhaust mid-pipe. ~$500-600 (larger diameter and correct cats).

6) Xd yaw rate sensor and wiring. ~$200 (A check engine light will be present due to the 2zr's traction control system)

So plan on roughly $2800 for parts, unless you buy a scion Xd as a donor vehicle.

When you power up the 2zr for the first time, you will get a check engine light. That code will point you to the wire change needed. ��

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 12-27-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Are all of the connectors compatible? ie: the fuel injectors etc
Yes, the 2zr engine harness plugs into the fuse box with no modification.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
As I have reasonable certainty regardeing 1nz tranny bolting on the 2zr, I recall during our groupchats when the swap was done a few months back, if you do go the 2zr tranny route, the speedo is being read from the abs rather than the 1nz tranny's speed sensor also?
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
That is expletive awesome. Great work !
In my driving styles and things I have done so far to my Yar, I would love to do this when I can afford to.
Again, great stuff and congrats.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
As I have reasonable certainty regardeing 1nz tranny bolting on the 2zr.......... if you do go the 2zr tranny route, the speedo is being read from the abs rather than the 1nz tranny's speed sensor also?
This is correct. The 2zr trans has no speed sensor, the Xd gets speed input from the abs module. We had to run a wire from the abs module to the fuse box juction to get our speedo to work.

This step is not needed if the Yaris trans works, thats why I didnt add it to the list.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #13
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Thank you very much for the information, hows the acceleration with the 2zr(0-60)? You have quite a few videos on your youtube page, that's of the 2zr Yaris?
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #14
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTHatch View Post
...hows the acceleration with the 2zr(0-60)?
....You have quite a few videos on your youtube page, that's of the 2zr Yaris?
The 2zr in stock form feels similar to my complete bolt-on 1nz...but when you need to climb a hill or overtake a car you dont have to downshift from 5th. The lightweight Yaris doesnt need a ton of power, and the 2zr with all of the bolt-ons gets up to ~148hp.

My ArmstrongRacing Yaris still has the 1nz, as I am restricted by SCCA/GTA class rules....untill I find another 2zr! ��
Old 11-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
tmontague

I'm a bit confused regarding the immobilizer. My Yaris has an immobilizer, so I'd need a 2zr with an immobilizer for it to work? I'm assuming that you are talking about the keys that need to be reprogrammed for the 2zr immobilizer as they are originally for the 1nz ECU? Has anyone had their keys reprogrammed for another ECU and if so what is a rough cost look like?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #16
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

The immobilizer function is a relationship between the car(yaris), the Ecm(Xd 2zr), and keys. I dont know if the Xd 2zr ecm can be programed to work with the yaris immobilizer module, or if a Xd module and keys are needed....that is all uncharted teritory as of now.

I work at the dealership and we normaly charge ~$100 to cut and program keys.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #17
tmontague

I'm assuming that your Yaris has no immobilizer?

I figured that if some one had an immobilizer and wanted to swap to a 2zr than you'd just need to get the immobilizer 2zr, the matching ECU and then just reprogram the Yaris keys to match the new ECU.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #18
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Yes, my car has no (Toyota)immobilizer. I have an alarm and a secret kill switch.

To know for sure about the immobilizer, we need a 2zr swap to test this on.....and as of now there is only this one in the US. So the question is....

HOW CAN I MAKE THIS SWAP MORE APPEALING AND ACCESABLE TO EVERYONE?