Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #37
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Do NOT buy a Subaru with a EJ25. The reliability on those engines is terrible if you want to upgrade the turbo. Money pit for sure.
I'm looking into the 2011-2012 year as I love the body design when you pair them with aftermarket wheels and coilovers. They had the EJ255 engine. I'm well aware of the potential failure but I'm not looking to go much past 300hp. I'm coming from driving an NA Yaris so I'm looking for it to be my hobby car to upgrade suspensions, appearance and slight engine mod like up to a stage 2. To be used as a DD, autoX and track day car, not for any real serious racing.

The stock engine should be well able to handle that mild power, and if not, well just more time spent for me to learn how to rebuild an engine. I'm planning on having my Yaris for another decade at least so it gives me a DD when my hobby car is on a lift ;)
Old 11-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #38
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I'm looking into the 2011-2012 year as I love the body design when you pair them with aftermarket wheels and coilovers. They had the EJ255 engine. I'm well aware of the potential failure but I'm not looking to go much past 300hp. I'm coming from driving an NA Yaris so I'm looking for it to be my hobby car to upgrade suspensions, appearance and slight engine mod like up to a stage 2. To be used as a DD, autoX and track day car, not for any real serious racing.

The stock engine should be well able to handle that mild power, and if not, well just more time spent for me to learn how to rebuild an engine. I'm planning on having my Yaris for another decade at least so it gives me a DD when my hobby car is on a lift ;)
2.5 especially after 2008 is like playing Russian Roulette........"stock". But the 2.5L was always problematic for head gaskets, piston slapping due to a short piston skirt, oil issues reaching the journals at the other extremity of the crank, etc...

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #39
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Ya they're not a Toyota that's for sure. I've been following a lot of the Subie forums for the past half year and most of the issues seemed to stem from heavily moded wrx's. The head gasket can happen even to the stock one's but as for the oil delivery issues it seems to happens when pushed passed red line for prolonged periods of time with added boost.

The only other option would be to spend a lot more money on a '14 model with a new 2.0 engine that is still too new to determine durability.

My budget may only allow for an '11 or '12 and then just pull the engine and work on it as needed. The way I see it is a headgasket job is cheap if you don't mind putting putting time in. And since i'll have my dependable Yaris to drive while the WRX is out of commision, it sort of a win win.

It's still a couple years away for me so a lot of time to learn/read more and see how the prices fair down the road.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #40
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Still working on getting another 2zr for r&d, ill let you guys know about the trans when I get there. I didnt take many pictures of the swap, sorry. The pictures on SubCompact is all Ive seen since.
From my conversations with RagnaCat (PR, 2ZR swap) about gearboxes, the drive shafts are different on the transmission side. I've got a few different stock differentials (minus ring gears) in my parts bins, and I know how to rebuild a C5x gearbox, so this wouldn't be an issue for me. If you want it to be plug and play, you really need an xD MT as a donor. As far as I can tell, the bell housings are compatible, assuming that the starters are in the same spot.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #41
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
From all of the images I looked through on the internet, and remembering the starter positions during the swap. I'd say the starters are in the same position. AGAIN, this is why Im getting another 2zr to test fit with my spare yaris trans and flyweel/clutch.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #42
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
I was checking on act, spec and fidanza websites. From act I see that the 2zr and 1nz user the same pressure plate and clutch disc however the flywheel part numbers on spec website differ for the two; 1nz=st51a while 2zr=st16a. Therefore if the 1nz gearbox/tranny built to the 2zr all u may need is the 2zr flywheel for the drivetrain
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #43
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTS View Post
I was checking on act, spec and fidanza websites. From act I see that the 2zr and 1nz user the same pressure plate and clutch disc...., all u may need is the 2zr flywheel
I saw this too, this is why all I need to do is try bolting the 2zr and C5 together and then we have the answer !
Old 11-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #44
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
I can't wait for the answer. Tomorrow I am going to look for a 2zr locally.
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #45
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I just heard there is someone making long-tube headers for the 2zr? Someone in Az?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #46
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
http://www.fastscions.com/rpm-long-t...2008-2012.aspx Is this what you're looking for?
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #47
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
I just heard there is someone making long-tube headers for the 2zr? Someone in Az?
Talk to Jim at RPM.

http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/RP...?sort=3&page=1

http://www.rpmheaders.com/index.html
Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #48
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Thanks guys! ����
Old 12-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #49
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Oh man, I haven't visited YW in a while. Glad you finally posted this up. I remember talking to you about this and how there needs to be a new thread on this because RagnaCat had a huge build thread on MicroImage forum that is not lost in the ether.

One day this will happen to my yaris. Would be a 2zr supercharged to compete in the SMF class.... Would definently turn some heads
Old 12-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #50
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I am moving next month, and once Im settled I will be researching an Xd to buy. I will then begin the swap process on my own car with lots of pictures for a proper diy.....I will be joining the SMF class also, but going the n/a route
Old 12-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #51
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I am having issues trying to find a Xd that is less than $5k.. I want to do this same swap but would prefer a donor rather than buying piece by piece. Seems like nobody totals out their Xd around here
Old 12-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #52
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Ive seen several here in California but they are owned by auctions....around $3000 for a totaled xd.....Id rather buy a used xd, swap what I need to the yaris, then slowly rebuild the xd and sell it.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #53
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Wouldn't a 2zrfe corolla swap also work? Maybe the mounts and exhaust is different from the XD but it would a lot easier to find donors.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #54
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Yes a corolla donor would work for the engine and ecm, if you want to go that route