Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Side Turn Signal Lights

Anyone know how to change the bulb in the Side Turn Signal housing?

I was able to remove the housing, but I've no idea how to get the bulb out.

Or does the entire housing need to be changed?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:59 AM   #2
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Twist and pull.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
dose anyone no about different colored head lites
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Also twist and pull out.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:14 AM   #5
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Do you mean the fender mounted turn signal lights bigsky2? If so, the whole lens unit/assembly must be replaced. The manual mentions this somewhere.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:46 AM   #6
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Yes, I am referring to the fender mounted turn signal lights.

I also believe that the entire lens unit/housing needs to be replaced, because it looks like the housing cannot be opened normally.

I guess the bulb can't be changed for that particular light.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:48 AM   #7
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
Twist and pull.
You're half way there - the Side (fender) Turn Signal Lights are removed by pushing the lens unit towards the front of the vehicle and then pulling out the unit.

The lens/housing unit disconnects from the signal cable, but the lens/housing unit itself cannot be opened.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully opened the lens/housing unit without damaging it.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:49 AM   #8
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Please let me emphasize that I am referring to the SIDE turn signal lights, and as mentioned, they are identified as the ones mounted on the fender.

The Front L/R turn signal lights can be easily removed - not to get confused with the side (dome shaped) signal lights.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:07 AM   #9
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIbucky
dose anyone no about different colored head lites
There's a big debate over coloured/filtered headlights VS. stock headlights VS. HID setups.

I'm all for a HID setup, if you have the money for it and the time/patience to set it up properly.

If you are on a tight budget coloured/filtered headlight bulbs will do just fine. When I say fine, I mean that not only do they look good, but they also perform well.

There is no doubt that HID setup will always outperform a halogen system.

What I am trying to say is, a smart bulb mod will perform BETTER than your stock setup. I've seen lots of people rag on the ricer blue/white/purple bulbs, and they have every reason to do so because these ricers don't choose their bulbs correctly and often forget to even out the light across the main headlight bulb, parking, and signal bulbs.

To be honest, I changed all my main bulbs (headlight, parking, turn signal) to coloured/filtered bulbs. I've received compliments from people with HID setups saying it looks very "bright" for a halogen setup and they could not tell it was a halogen system unless they were looking at it from a very far distance away or right up close, where all the bulbs are exposed.

If you are to purchase coloured/filtered bulbs, here is my advice:

- Purchase brand name bulbs, like PIAA, RAZO, Sylvania.
... PIAA bulbs are very expensive, but they are tried and true.
... Side Note: I use Eurolite (yes, very RICE brand) Xenon Fusions which have a light blue coating. They are inexpensive, and IMO, look and perform much better than the stock H4 bulbs. The light itself is very white and cool, with only the slightest tint of blue. Some people on the road kindly pointed out to me that I had my high beams on, but I explained to them the light they see are low beams!

- Choose a light, I emphasize, VERY LIGHT colour filter. As others have pointed out, a filter will allow less light to penetrate, so the heavier the filter, the less light the bulb will emit.

- For the signal lights, you have a few options. You can get coloured bulbs which vary from chrome to chrome-orange for the purpose of obtaining the clean clear lens look. When lit, they will flash amber/orange making it street legal. Personally I don't like the chrome painted bulbs, because they are not bright enough when lit. For safety sake, choose something bright when lit, and somewhat clear/non-coloured when unlit so you can achieve that clean look.

- Parking Lights: These will be on when your main headlights are on, and it's best to match the colour of these to your main bulbs. So if you get white light bulbs, get white light parking lights. Again, the filter rule applies here too, so choose a lightly coloured bulb.

- Brake/Tail Lights: I havent' messed with these, because they look fine as is. I have seen some Yaris on the road with LED style bulbs, and they look pretty neat.

If I had the money to go HID, I probably would not because I am more inclined to use that money for other mods. I've nothing against a beautiful HID setup, but if lighting is not your top priority, you can get pretty nice results with a few bulb changes.

Good luck.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:14 AM   #10
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
I was able to remove the housing, but I've no idea how to get the bulb out.
I said twist and pull because you said you were able to remove the housing. That's why I left that part out. :D
Old 06-30-2006, 05:20 AM   #11
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
I said twist and pull because you said you were able to remove the housing. That's why I left that part out. :D
So is THAT how you get the bulb out

Kidding aside, is it possible to open the housing and remove the bulb?
How do you twist and pull the housing? At which areas?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:38 AM   #12
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Where the wires are at the back, there is the bulb holder. Twist (I presume anti-clockwise) and you should very easily come out. I've never done it myself but that's how it is explained in the owner's manual.

Take a pic of the back if you can.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:45 AM   #13
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Btw, bigsky2, have you seen any LED bulbs that shine bright red and has a similar output as the normal light? I'm trying to find one for the rear fog lights but nothing that's any brighter than the parking lights. (Rear fog lights are standard here).
Old 08-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
TC-LIFTBACK

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Can one heat up the side markers in an oven to unseal them, remove the bulb, throw in a orange LED, then reseal them with silicone adhesive?

I've seen this done on taillight housings.

I'm just throwing this out there as a possible solution.

- Ben
TC-LIFTBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #15
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
btw, are these sidemarkers lit with parking lights? or just with the turn signals?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherAsian
btw, are these sidemarkers lit with parking lights? or just with the turn signals?
Headlights ON or OFF, they only light up when signaling.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote