Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
Thumbs up studded tires: 40.03 m.p.g. ...

got four COOPER Weather-Master ST-2 studded snow tires put on the '08 automatic sedan and we took it for spin . Got 40.03 miles per gallon on refill of 87 SUNOCO ( 10% ethanol ) . The trip was very wet roads ( pouring rain on interstate ) at average speed of around 54 m.p.h. ( 70 on occasion ) and winds gusting high as 35 . Tires set at 35 p.s.i. , 2 people , A.C. on about 40% to keep windows from fogging , and average temp of 52 . Been using PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-20 synthetic motor oil for little less than 2,000 miles . If driving conditions were better , probably could have reached 42 m.p.g.. Quite impressive with 4 studded snows , doesn't get much more gas mileage with the BRIDGESTONE all seasons . Makes me wonder if they have more rolling resistence . May try to pawn them off and get better tires .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:43 AM   #2
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I'm running the Potenza's to the absolute bareness. Gonna be using them after to teach newbie drivers skid-control on low-traction surfaces.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
got four COOPER Weather-Master ST-2 studded snow tires put on the '08 automatic sedan and we took it for spin . Got 40.03 miles per gallon on refill of 87 SUNOCO ( 10% ethanol ) . The trip was very wet roads ( pouring rain on interstate ) at average speed of around 54 m.p.h. ( 70 on occasion ) and winds gusting high as 35 . Tires set at 35 p.s.i. , 2 people , A.C. on about 40% to keep windows from fogging , and average temp of 52 . Been using PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-20 synthetic motor oil for little less than 2,000 miles . If driving conditions were better , probably could have reached 42 m.p.g.. Quite impressive with 4 studded snows , doesn't get much more gas mileage with the BRIDGESTONE all seasons . Makes me wonder if they have more rolling resistence . May try to pawn them off and get better tires .
I would guess that the metal studs help to raise the rubber slightly off the road surface... It would make sense because on bare roads studded tires have less traction. Reduce the footprint and you should reduce rolling resistance. I would bet money that the stock potenza's are MUCH better at bare road driving when it comes to traction.