Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Huge Gas Milage Reduction from installation of intake

So my yaris sedan auto was geting about 36mpg adverage. Thats with no special driving techniques just driving normally. After installation of my weapon r intake. My mpg dropped to 29-30. I attribute this to the relocation of the maf sensor. Since how much the injectors spray is directly tied to maf readings.

The MAF sensor is relocated just a few inches away from the throttle plate and i think that even though the same amount of air may be going into the intake at the same throttle position witht he stock intake the location of the sensitive sensor may get a false reading of air when accelerating. Maybe even at a constant throttle position.

I checked this by hooking up my scanner to the computer and watching live data readings of the fuel trim. If you know a bit about cars fuel trim should always be close to zero with a little switching picked up by the oxygen sensors. My fuel trim is at about 20 percent for long term.

Which means the car is constantly dumping additional fuel leading to my reduction of fuel economy.

I am curiouse to see what happens to my fuel trim if i put my factory air box back but install a simply drop in K&N filter.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Callisto

Drives: '08 Hatch
If the problem is that the MAF is reading differently, and the ECU then makes it run rich, isn't it possible to have the ECU data changed to make it run more lean? In places at higher altitudes it is sometimes necessary to have the air/fuel mixture manually changed. I presume the same kind of thing is happening here. Talk to a mechanic and find out if this is possible. It may be an easy fix.
Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
What WR intake did you buy.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco View Post
What WR intake did you buy.

So we know not to buy it. jk
Old 10-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Hmm ... the AFE actually improved mine by a couple MPG.

As for a real brand name intake. I believe the Weapon R is the cheapest out on the Market right now (under $120 I've seen).

My AFE was $165 shipped.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
eco

WR has 2 versions,I just bought one of them,so I really want to know which version you bought.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
is it the secret weapon r that you have..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
Smokey159

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
So my yaris sedan auto was geting about 36mpg adverage. Thats with no special driving techniques just driving normally. After installation of my weapon r intake. My mpg dropped to 29-30. I attribute this to the relocation of the maf sensor. Since how much the injectors spray is directly tied to maf readings.

The MAF sensor is relocated just a few inches away from the throttle plate and i think that even though the same amount of air may be going into the intake at the same throttle position witht he stock intake the location of the sensitive sensor may get a false reading of air when accelerating. Maybe even at a constant throttle position.

I checked this by hooking up my scanner to the computer and watching live data readings of the fuel trim. If you know a bit about cars fuel trim should always be close to zero with a little switching picked up by the oxygen sensors. My fuel trim is at about 20 percent for long term.

Which means the car is constantly dumping additional fuel leading to my reduction of fuel economy.

I am curiouse to see what happens to my fuel trim if i put my factory air box back but install a simply drop in K&N filter.
reset the ecu. Unplug the battery for a few minutes, hook it back up and let the car IDLE for about 5 minutes, then shut it off.

you should be good to go again.
Smokey159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
Smokey159

Drives: Yaris Liftback
BTW, my Simota Carbon Charger ($120 shipped) gained 1.5 MPG.
Smokey159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey159 View Post
reset the ecu. Unplug the battery for a few minutes, hook it back up and let the car IDLE for about 5 minutes, then shut it off.

you should be good to go again.
I tried that already and the fuel trim went back to rich. I forget which one its chrome tube with black filter. I think any filter which relocates the maf sensor to base of the throttle assembly would have the same effect. If you look at the factory filter the maf is farthest away from it right infront of the filter. Also the tube isnt perfectly smooth to help disrupt the flow slightly.

I know they do sell performance maf sensor that can read higher flows of air for heavily modded cars but should be unessisary for our cars.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
I have the Blitz LM SUS intake. I noticed a decrease in FE, but after letting the ecu cycle after a few starts or so, it went back to normal. Staying away from increased high rev throttling and i've never had a problem since.
You have a good point though. Depending on how far the maf is away from your T.B. makes a large difference in A/F readings.

Last edited by anonymous user; 10-22-2008 at 02:48 AM. Reason: corrected intake model
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
i actually gained 5mpg w/ my Fujita F5, i was getting about 26....now about 31mpg
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:39 AM   #13
YarisSedan

Hmmm I may have to switch to a different brand. Anyone want to buy a slightly used weapon R intake =)
Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
eco

YarisSedan,how did you mount your intake,I cant see where the bracket and bolt with rubber stoper go.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
eco

Instructions suck.