Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #433
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince87 View Post
Thanks CTScott ! you always have the answer faster than anybody else... is there's a more straightfoward route to the fuse box than the grommet under the carpet on the passenger side (thats were the Pin40 and my amp wires a going to the engine bay) ?

ps. I thought that the white wire was a ground, thats why I believed I could ground it on the chassis instead...
You can go through the driver's side grommet, which goes in up behind the inside fuse panel and comes out just behind the battery.

White with a black stripe is always ground on the Yaris. Solid white is often 12 V power (which is the case with the wiring for the clutch switch).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #434
Vince87

Drives: 2007 2DR Yaris
Nice thanks ! I didnt wanna have a wire hanging loose from one side of the engine bay to the other...

ps for those who waited for a clear DIY with pictures for the 07-08 LB (with or without MT) I will built one this week !
Vince87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #435
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Well....just made a huge correction on my clutch switch wiring. I was driving home and I tapped the clutch to coast to a stop when all of the sudden the car started roaring like the heavens. I assessed the situation and found that the connections at the clutch switch came loose and were touching each other, essentially the power was still running through when the clutch was pressed. I went back to the hardware store and bought some smaller, tighter "connections" and now everything is working fine. So, the moral of the story, double check all your connections before testing/sealing it up or else you'll spend an extra hour in the HOT garage fixing it the right way.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #436
fraenx

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2DHB
DYI for 07

Hi, I just read through all 29 pages in this post and as previously mentioned in some other posts am a little confused with all the segregated information. Has anyone created a detailed DYI yet including pictures to add the OEM cruise control stalk on a 2007 hatchback?
fraenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #437
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraenx View Post
Hi, I just read through all 29 pages in this post and as previously mentioned in some other posts am a little confused with all the segregated information. Has anyone created a detailed DYI yet including pictures to add the OEM cruise control stalk on a 2007 hatchback?
+1 its all pretty confusing.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #438
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
me too I'd really like one before I take apart my dashboard...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:44 AM   #439
BrianS

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3DR LB
Someone posted a step-by-step for adding CC without the stalk. This one does cover all the wiring we (pre-2009'ers) have to do from the various connectors to the ECM and such. Now we just need a section on adding the factory stalk into it. :)

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21715
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #440
Soylentglass

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Well, after some trial and error, I finally have my cruise control installed and working on my manual 09 Sedan. With working factory installed dash lights and all.

First off, I had a major error which made a lot more work for myself. I did the same thing nickhjort did a lot earlier in this thread. It had been awhile since I read through everything. I should have reread it all and it would have saved me, but oh well. I was looking at the pictures of the ECM terminals in the factory repair manual and was thinking it was plug A21 when I went to put in terminal 40. So I was looking at a mirror image and ended up putting the repair terminal (part#82998-24250, still don't know where CTScott found this part number but it worked) into terminal 29 like nickhjort originally did. It also helps to know that the terminal will not go into the hole, unless you push the locking mechanism, a white piece of plastic in the middle of the plug. Next, I used a small piece of metal rod and taped the ECM wire to it and threaded it through the grommet above the brake pedal and was able to pull it through from behind the battery in the engine compartment. I unbolted the battery and moved it forward so I could get behind it a little better. I grounded the switches (I did the 2 switch method) on the bolt close to the floor behind the drivers side kick panel. I mounted the same switches CTScott used from digikey on an extra mirror control panel I bought. By the way the color of that panel on my car (I have "bisque" interior) is called "greige" (grey and beige mixed together apparently) on the 2007 toyota EPC (since they didn't have 2008 or 2009 yet on toyodiy.com). Also, from digikey, I used a 390 ohm resistor and a 240 ohm resistor in series.

It didnt work at all when I first used it since I put that repair terminal in 29 of connector A21. Which I figured out pretty quickly(when I took a better look at the connector I realized that the terminal numbers were molded into the connector, I think at the corner terminals), but I then realized that I already had a blue wire coming from terminal 40. But I do not have the brown and blue wires going to connector D3 in the steering column, just the black wire. Since I really did not feel like trying to get at connector AD4 WAY up in the dash on the drivers side, I ended up just cutting the wire I had sent to terminal 29 and also cutting the factory terminal 40 wire and putting them together. So I bought that repair terminal ($11.19) for no reason.

Since the wire from the ECM terminal 40 to connector AD4 already existed, maybe the ground wire exists somewhere in my car somewhere, maybe all the way to junction connector D34, but I didn't bother looking since I had already grounded to a bolt, which was easy. D34 seems to be all the way up in the passenger side dash, so I didn't even bother looking.

I also wanted to say that my 09 Sedan does have the factory connector for the cruise control clutch switch, so I able to just plug it right in. Speaking of that, the reason why it took me so long to get this installed from my original post is because it took TRDSparks 2 weeks to send out my parts. Then it took another 4 business days to ship. $10 for shipping was a little steep for about half a pound of freight too. I also should have waived having to sign for the package since I work during the day and it was a pain getting the package from UPS. I wasn't totally positive at first where to mount the switch either. I know the repair manual shows it as normally closed, but I couldnt tell by looking at the switch itself what position it was in with the button in or out and didn't feel like getting the multimeter to test it, heh so I just threw it in the place of the original clutch adjustment screw, which apparently is the correct place.

As far as the actual operation of the cruise control, I like how you can accelerate past what you set the cruise control at and if you let off the gas, once it coasts back to the speed you set it at, it will remain going that speed.

Once again, thanks again to all for paving the way on this install. I hope some of my trials and tribulations may help someone else and save them some of the rework that I had to do.
Soylentglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #441
pinnerhill

Cruise Control Stalk Question - 09 yaris sedan AT

Hey Guys (and maybe some gals), thank you for all the info you provide to this site. It is definitely more fun to DIY. First, I have an 09 yaris sedan AT bare bones. Question, I have read through this forum many times over and all that is said about the above car for cruise control is to get the stalk and wire harness, then install. The ECM is preprogrammed to handle the addition of the stalk. Take the ground wire and add it to the wire harness. Put everything back together. Bam! you have cruise control. No running wires and no further switches or resisters. Well I got nothing.

I got my stalk from Thailand (ebay) and now wondering if I should have waited the month to get it. I have followed the directions of removing airbag, cutting hole, install stalk with 10-32 1/2in screws, plug in wire harness, remove ground pin from original plug and insert into new plug. Put everything back together. From my understanding, this is the easiest dyi for cruise considering the time to cost ratio.

Dead in the water with my nice new stalk looking at me laughing. I am wondering if I have a bad stalk or did I miss something in the 30 pages from this site or the countless other Q's and A's over the web. Please advise of where one might go from here. I will try hooking up an multimeter this evening to see if I get any response from the switch. I am pretty handy at most things, however electricity is not my thing. Thanks in advance for any help.
pinnerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #442
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I've been thinking of getting a small 2W Solar Panel for my car. Would there be any benefits at all if I left it continuously plugged in through my cig lighter jack? And a 2W can't possibly overcharge my battery can it?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #443
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
I've been thinking of getting a small 2W Solar Panel for my car. Would there be any benefits at all if I left it continuously plugged in through my cig lighter jack? And a 2W can't possibly overcharge my battery can it?
not relevant to this thread, but to answer you, plugging it in all the time when your car is not turned on will do nothing. the outlet is switched to only be powered when accessory circuit is activated.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #444
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Sorry, didn't realise I couldn't ask that here, I thought this thread was for general inquiries. According to the product description I can charge the battery through the outlet, or directly to the battery via clamps.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, didn't realise this was strictly for Cruise Control. My bad!
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #445
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnerhill View Post
Hey Guys (and maybe some gals), thank you for all the info you provide to this site. It is definitely more fun to DIY. First, I have an 09 yaris sedan AT bare bones. Question, I have read through this forum many times over and all that is said about the above car for cruise control is to get the stalk and wire harness, then install. The ECM is preprogrammed to handle the addition of the stalk. Take the ground wire and add it to the wire harness. Put everything back together. Bam! you have cruise control. No running wires and no further switches or resisters. Well I got nothing.

I got my stalk from Thailand (ebay) and now wondering if I should have waited the month to get it. I have followed the directions of removing airbag, cutting hole, install stalk with 10-32 1/2in screws, plug in wire harness, remove ground pin from original plug and insert into new plug. Put everything back together. From my understanding, this is the easiest dyi for cruise considering the time to cost ratio.

Dead in the water with my nice new stalk looking at me laughing. I am wondering if I have a bad stalk or did I miss something in the 30 pages from this site or the countless other Q's and A's over the web. Please advise of where one might go from here. I will try hooking up an multimeter this evening to see if I get any response from the switch. I am pretty handy at most things, however electricity is not my thing. Thanks in advance for any help.
If you look at Soylentglass's post above you'll see that you need to add the wire from pin 40 of connector A21 of the ECM to the spiral cable connector on the steering column. For whatever reason, the 09 sedans (or at least some of them) don't have the wire from the ECM, like the liftbacks do.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #446
Soylentglass

Actually, my car had a wire factory installed into pin 40 of connector A21. I just had the plug upside at first and was looking at pin 29, which was empty. But the blue wire from pin 40 only went to connector AD4 and stopped, there was no wiring from AD4 to the steering column.

Pinnerhill, if your car is like mine (yours is an auto and mine is a manual, but both 09 sedans) then you might have to tap off of the blue wire coming from pin 40 in the engine bay and run it to the stalk. So far, it seems that only the 09 Liftbacks (which a lot of people seem to own who have responded on this post) have all the wiring factory installed. I'm not sure what you mean by "remove ground pin from original plug and insert into new plug", but there should be two wires going to the stalk either way, one from the ECM and one from ground (bolt). I installed my own switches and did not obtain a stalk. From CTScotts DIY for 2009 liftbacks http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17158 , the wires going to the connector (D3) in the steering column should be brown (going to terminal 2 of connector D3) and blue (going to terminal 1 of connector D3)
Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #447
pinnerhill

Thanks for the all the advice. Wanted to clarify about the ground wire first from my previous post. This is the wire that connects the air bag or horn ground to the clock spring plug. My wire harness was already setup to plug in the same spot, so I removed the pin the ground wire used from the old plug and inserted it into the new wire harness plug. I believe it has nothing to do with the CC stalk.

I checked last night and I do not have any of the cruise control wires going to the D3 on the steering column. So I guess my next question is do I attempt to splice in at the A21 pin 40 and go through the firewall somewhere (this will suck) or try a back-breaking position (suck even worse) and splice off the AD4 which I believe is up there on top of the fuse box and you really cannot see it from under the dash? I understand now the second wire just needs to go to ground near the driver side door, correct?

Last question (for now at least because ya'll are awesome), what is the best way to splice and protect from moister and vibration?

Thanks a lot to CTScott, Soylentglass and countless others for taking the time to post and help the not so savvy DIY'ers.

Last edited by pinnerhill; 09-18-2009 at 02:09 PM.
pinnerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #448
CTScott
ULTIMATE

For the connection to the pin 40 wire, you are probably better off hitting it near the ECM and then coming through the grommet just above the ECM. Splice with a tap, or strip and solder, and then wrap with good (3M) electrical tape to seal.

To do the AD4 connection, you'd really need to remove the top of the dash. It's too far to reach from under.

For the ground connection, you can go down to the driver's kick panel, or you can ground to the metal support structure for the dash (there are a few bolts that you can get a terminal under).
Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #449
Soylentglass

I agree with CTScott. I'd also say that tapping into the wire in the engine bay near the ECM would be the best choice. That is what I ended up doing once I realized that there was already a wire coming from pin 40. I went through the grommet behind the battery, but it was kind of a pain. From all the other posts it seems like the grommet above the ECM is a better choice. I taped the wire to a small metal rod [anything rigid (a coat hanger?) would work too] to thread the wire through the grommet on the side of the wiring harness. REALLY tape it good though, the wire came off the first time on me and I wasn't too happy to have to do it again. Also putting extra tape will reduce the chance of any sharp edges cutting the grommet or wire harness.

I could not see connector AD4 from the driver's side floor no matter how I contorted myself. I couldn't see it, never mind attempt to jam my arm up there to get at it. My back hurt a bit the next day since I was laying in that position with the kickboard in my back for about half an hour.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #450
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
For the connection to the pin 40 wire, you are probably better off hitting it near the ECM and then coming through the grommet just above the ECM. Splice with a tap, or strip and solder, and then wrap with good (3M) electrical tape to seal.

To do the AD4 connection, you'd really need to remove the top of the dash. It's too far to reach from under.

For the ground connection, you can go down to the driver's kick panel, or you can ground to the metal support structure for the dash (there are a few bolts that you can get a terminal under).
maybe I am just very slow, but I cannot find how to remove the top dash.