Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
ad23

Drives: Toyota Vios
Improving the 'range' of your existing alarm system

Hi bros.

Just wondering if any of you here have any tips on how we can extend the 'range' of our car alarm system? Say for example, stock allows us to be able to activate our alarm system when we are 10m away ... Let's say if we do some mod to the system, we're able to activate our alarm when we are 20m away ... Any one got any tips? Btw, I'm from Singapore and driving the Vios which is the equilavent of the 'Yaris Sedan'

Basically I just installed this device which allows me some pretty neat functions like remote start/stop, pitstop, turbo-timer (nope, I ain't got one yet) ... The thing is I find that the stock alarm system I am on has a pretty short 'alarm range' and I am looking for ways to extend or optimise the range. I was wondering if any of you bros here have actually been successful in doing it? I was told that someone did manage to do it by putting in an extra antenna on his a-pillar ... Just wondering if anyone here did it and if yes, if you could point me in the right direction. Many thanks!
ad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
ad23

Any one? Or perhaps it's late in the night in the states while it's mid afternoon over here in SG.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
I read it somewhere that you can use the remote to extend the distance of the signal while letting the metal part (car key) touch your head, it is like using your head as an antenna.

I haven't try it yet but give it a try !!!
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Touching the tip of your key to your chin does seem to extend the range of your remote unlocking, so it should with the alarm button.

But have you ever seen anyone respond to a car alarm?

(Other than with annoyance?)

I think they're totally useless.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
But have you ever seen anyone respond to a car alarm?
I saw some one pick up a rock and put it into windshield of a car one time. The guy pulls into a parking spot and was had a good 2 feet between them. The alarm went off so he moved to a different spot. On the way past the car he tossed a good size rock onto the windshield. As he walked past me he tells me that the car now has something to be screaming about and kept on walking.

Last edited by firebob; 04-14-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: had to fix the quote
firebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I used to get a chuckle when firing up my hotrodded Harley would set off alarms in neighboring cars.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Quote:
I used to get a chuckle when firing up my hotrodded Harley would set off alarms in neighboring cars.
Ok I’ll admit that I would kill my better truck for about 20 seconds and then flip the key back and let out a pop to set them off. Sometimes it would spray the car with black dust form the inside of the tailpipe.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
ad23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
I read it somewhere that you can use the remote to extend the distance of the signal while letting the metal part (car key) touch your head, it is like using your head as an antenna.

I haven't try it yet but give it a try !!!
Ah yes yes ... some bros from another forum has suggested them and it seems to work according to some of them. They got ridiculed for saying it works but they are standing by their word so it seems it really does work. I haven't yet tried it but what I'm hoping is if anyone has managed to extend the antenna into the a-pillar of their ride. Anyone?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
ad23

Quote:
Hahahaha ... that oughta irritate some of the poor blokes whose cars are in 'your range'