Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #55
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Is the Onyx an "official" Toyota package, or is it just something thrown together by a regional distributor? There's no mention of it on Toyota.com, so I'm thinking the latter.
It's an independent thing. From Southeast Toyota Distributors:
http://toyotahighway.com/index.php?vtype=onyx

"Onyx" Package Includes:
  • Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip,Euro Rear Spoiler
  • Carbon Fiber Applique Appearance Dash
  • "Onyx" Badging,"Onyx" Illuminated Door Sills
  • Red Stripe Graphic,Limited Edition Keychain
  • Window Tint UV Rating of 98.5%-99%
  • Bongiovi Premium AM/FM/CD w/Ipod Interface
  • 4-17" Enkei "Onyx" Wheels w/Yokohama Tires

Package MSRP: $2,794.00

Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #56
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
NICE car......but I just can't get behind that spoiler....too big fer me.
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #57
Littlefoot

Drives: 2009 Yaris S liftback
I just took delivery of my 2009 Yaris S hatchback, for the money I would still keep mine over the Onyx. The interior of the Onyx is not appealing, In my opinion they should have takend and S hatchback and added the onyx stuff to it.
Littlefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #58
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Found one for sell on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...1%7C240%3A1308
coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #59
dg4rez
Gas Saver

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to dg4rez
Smile

my yaris, full loaded, 12,400 out the door (used, but only 4kish miles)

$12,400
+200 dash kit ( I got barrel wood, but its the same thing as the carbon fiber)
+300 tint ( got back lights tinted too, and limo all around, double on front)
+300 LCD touchscreen DVD/ WMA / MP3 deck
+500 new speakers (went with focal K2P they are the best 6.5 speaker)
+300 for subs
+700 for amps for speakers and subs...
+1000 for install, plus dynomat of the whole car
----------
15,700 = (after tax and everything) alot better use of money... you buy that car, and after taxes and junk, your paying like 19 grand... is rims, a spoiler, and a mufler tip worth...3,300? plus your talking about, I dinomatted the whole car, not just doors.. plus got the best 6.5 speakers and tweeters ever made..and I can still use my IPOD hook up by the ebrake..
Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #60
smofskra

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Send a message via MSN to smofskra Send a message via Yahoo to smofskra
what a joke, no power package, an auto transmission, what the hell kind of crap is that? No split rear seat? did they take the base of the base models and add crap to it to sell it for $3000 more than its worth?
smofskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #61
ggeiser

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Onyx
Sure, anyone car crap up (sorry) any kind of car and add stuff for less than the add-ons on the Onyx. But, you totally miss the point. This is a limited edition - 1 of 200 vehicle. Built by (sanctioned by) Toyota. Taking anything off it, or adding 'stuff' like the tint bar on the windshield would detract from the authenticity and value of the car.

They take the base car with minimum extras and upgrade that one to keep the selling price reasonable. If they added to the 'S' car the selling price would be well over 20k. A pretty hard Yaris to sell I would think.

As in anything in life, some people will like the looks and some wont. Personally, I am smitten. Buying number 198 today.

As for making it faster . . . why? I traded my Corvette in. Speed is definately fun, but you have to pay the piper. Higher insurance, tickets, tire replacement, repairs, gas mileage. Everything costs more.

This car (the Onyx) will hold its value only if left just the way Toyota made it. The VIN will prove authenticity, plus the numbered key chain would be a plus - unless you added all the extras and got it done just right then, counterfited the key chain and altered the VIN you would still just have a regular Yaris dolled up.

No matter which Yaris you get, it will never be one of two-hundred, like this one is. A rare buy indeed.
ggeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #62
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I would agree with, if only Onyx spec actually meant something different in performance. Like perhaps a TRD turbocharger, or TRD muffler, or something else. Like the Mugen Civic RR, or R34 GT-R Z-tune. Those are actually sought-after limited run cars.

Yes, it is a rare car, but unfortunately it drives just like a base automatic would, and is slower because of the larger rims. In order to keep it unique, you can't mod it otherwise it'd lose its unique-ness (this I agree). And the Yaris is crying out to be properly modded - lowered, its I/H/E done up, and it'd be punching above its weight. Otherwise, Onyx badge or not, it'll drive like any other Yaris out there.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #63
jeremyshay

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metalic Liftback
Send a message via AIM to jeremyshay
unless this guy shits gold bars out the tailpipe, or puts down 150 to the wheels, toyotas dick is loose if they think id pay 16k for a stock yarii with an altered bumper, ugly tags, and enkeis. imo
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #64
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
i like the carbon fiber dash trim though. it could be better :)
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #65
ggeiser

Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
So..... today I was driving past the local Rice Toyota dealership and I saw a modded yaris parked out front on display... I was like WTF? why are they selling a Modded yaris like that?

To my disbelief there it was....

THE ONYX

ABOUT
The Yaris ONYX, also known as the Toyota Yaris ONYX or simply the ONYX, is a limited run liftback. As of December 2008, there were plans to make only 200 such vehicles.
The ONYX, which is essentially a Yaris with exclusive Toyota accessories, is available only in black, and only as a 3-door liftback. Its availability will be limited to the Southeastern United States (specifically states North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Florida) and is available only through Toyota dealers.
The name “ONYX” refers to its dark color. ONYX stone is typically of a dark, black hue.

SIGHTINGS
On-location photos of the Yaris ONYX were taken in Southern Georgia, and the photos accompanying this entry are believed to be the only ones wherein the exterior of the ONYX isn’t hidden. Additional sightings were reported outside the port near Jacksonville, FL.

FEATURES
In addition to the black finish, the Yaris ONYX features a variety of ONYX-only features. These include:
- Bongiovi radio with iPod interface
- Enkei 17” wheels in dark chrome
- Carbon fiber dash-trim
- Window tint
- Stainless steel exhaust tip
- Euro rear spoiler
- Window tint
- Custom badging
- Bluetooth capacity
- Limited edition numbered key chain

This was one of two that they got and they got them yesterday, already sold one. It was retailing for about $16k with a $500 rebate....

It was very Nice.....
I wish I had 16k...
In addition to your list, it also has custom floor mats, fender stripes, lighted Onyx door sills, upgrade tires to fit the 17" wheels and the rebate here was $1,000. All in all, not a bad buy for $15,770.

The key (I think) to this car being of value to the customer is to keep it exactly as Toyota made it. Modifications beyond what is already done will detract from any possible future resale value.

My son bought a Smart Car and immediately re-sold it on Craig's list - for more than his purchase price. I am not thinking about selling mine (14 miles on it) but I bet I could and get more than I paid, like he did with that Smart. There aren't very many vehicles you can do that with.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #66
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I really wonder about the value as a limited edition, as it really isn't a Toyota created limited edition, it's a regional distributor created limited edition.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #67
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I really wonder about the value as a limited edition, as it really isn't a Toyota created limited edition, it's a regional distributor created limited edition.
the only value that has is to the owner that buys it. its not a RELEASE SERIES like scion or a special edition TOYOTA anything. like CT said its a regional distributor put together......
Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #68
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I saw one here as well. Did not appeal to me, but husband loves black. Had we not already gotten him the blazing blue, this would have been tempting for him. It will always be a unique vehicle. If you love it that's all that matters. Enjoy your new Yaris.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #69
ggeiser

Addendum to previous post by me

I am adding a few things to my ONYX. Previously, I said to leave it absolutely as-is. However, I have given that more thought (if you can believe I can actually think!).

Here is the deal. Add things but save the original parts and/or make mods that can easily revert to the original, so, if ever there is a good market for re-sale, the car is pristine original.

With that said, I intend to add new tail lights, tint the windshield, add fogs, add neon interior lighting, have custom graphic windshield ONYX logo, including the red stripes placed across the windshield. All of this is easily re-done back to the original whenever needed, with little work involved. Make sure the original parts (tail lights and fog light covers) are kept in a safe place.

Photos to follow.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #70
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
This is never going to be a collectable. In fact in a few years it will likely be harder to sell because people don't like buying "modded" cars. Make it the way you like it and don't pretend you have a collector car.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #71
stevewl1164

Drives: Corsica and Cavalier
New here today

found the site looking information on the Yaris Onyx...Love it. The one I saw had red orange stripes. I saw one on youtube with 300K on it already. Did I break any rules by posting this? Did not know how to search for a current post on this and posting from the link I originally found.
stevewl1164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #72
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
echo_hrs: if you remember, they had some some "special edition" Echos in BC for a while.. There probably had 600 made of them..

anyhow.. the Matrix TRD edition and the Celica TRD edition were both full of useless cosmetic mods. Not to mention you could steal the exhaust tip with a dime. lol
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edition, north carolina, onyx, special