Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
Installing power windows and locks

I just spent an hour looking for a post that I saw back in the summer about a DIY install of the A1 electric window and lock kits. I can't seem to find that post anymore, was that deleted in a data problem, or?
If so, does anyone have a copy of that saved anywhere?
yaris prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
staypuft
aka SDMF

Drives: 07 LB Met Met
Send a message via AIM to staypuft
the only hard part about it is fishing the wires, instructions are pretty simple to understand. heres a pic of my naked door with the kit. hope that kinda helps.

follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/samuryan_x
staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
Hey, thanks.
Yea, I can see the frustration by the exclamation written with a Sharpie on the door :)
Can I ask... when did you do the upgrade, and does it work and hold up well?
Did you use one of those "add a fuse" systems and run power off of the fuse box?
Also, did you need the switches for the door locks, or is using the existing manual switches ok?
yaris prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
i wish i had seen this sooner. i'm now on day 3 of putting JUST the power locks in and am having one hell of a time doing it. it appears i have the kit for a rod-style mechanism that i picked up from pep-boys; not the cable one. hwhoops.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
staypuft
aka SDMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris prime View Post
Hey, thanks.
Yea, I can see the frustration by the exclamation written with a Sharpie on the door :)
Can I ask... when did you do the upgrade, and does it work and hold up well?
Did you use one of those "add a fuse" systems and run power off of the fuse box?
Also, did you need the switches for the door locks, or is using the existing manual switches ok?
i did the power locks when i first got the car and the power windows last month. the only thing that was frustrating was feeding the wire through the small rubber boots. ill snap a pic of where i put my switches, i went with the stealthy look by the handbrake panel so all my switches are in the middle

Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
enobmort42
First time DIYer

staypuft, when you put the lock actuator in, did you have to remove the styrofoam that was attached to the door panel? it seems that's the only way i'm getting mine to fit in and work properly..
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
staypuft
aka SDMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by enobmort42 View Post
staypuft, when you put the lock actuator in, did you have to remove the styrofoam that was attached to the door panel? it seems that's the only way i'm getting mine to fit in and work properly..
yep you gotta do alot of shaving, just use a hacksaw blade, i had to cut some of the insulating foam as well for some clearance issues

Old 02-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Can you guys post where you got these kits at? I'd be interested in the power locks. (is it keyless entry?)
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
http://a1electric.com/catalog.htm
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
enobmort42
First time DIYer

actually, i picked mine up from my local pepboys for, i think, $13 each. the only caveat to that was that they're for the rod style locks, not cable. i don't think they carry the cable style ones in stock. i had to do some tinkering and playing around to get the first door working (took 4 days!), i was able to do the other door in under an hour.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
what brands/companies of power windows/locks did you get? *for reference since I need to do this*
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
enobmort42
First time DIYer

i'll stop by the store today and find out the brand. in the meantime, here's a picture of one of them installed. again, since i got the wrong kind, i had to do some makeshift work, but imo, it works just as well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0224091731[1].jpg (55.8 KB, 835 views)
Old 03-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
Pitt Yaris

Any update on what kits you got at pep boys?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Where can i buy one of the power windows motors? what are they called? what types are there, and which one did you use?
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
QUICK QUESTION: CAN YOU KEEP THE MANUAL CRANK STILL ON AND USE IT AFTER YOU INSTALL THE POWER WINDOW KIT? WILL IT DAMAGE THE KIT?
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
Liu997

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
heh, looks pretty hard to drag the cables to the center console.
Liu997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #17
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
Any update on what kits you got at pep boys?
wow, i guess this is what happens when one unsubscribes from a thread.. sorry for the delay! i stopped in pep boys to find it and to my surprise, there wasn't a brand name on the box... it just says "Power Lock Actuator" on it.. pep boys brand, maybe? lol but everything that i needed, except the extra wire, came in the box - mounting hardware, actuator, instructions, etc.

i didn't install a switch for the locks, though, and after a month or so with having the power locks, i've decided to do that... I just have to figure out which wires go where.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
Pitt Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by enobmort42 View Post
wow, i guess this is what happens when one unsubscribes from a thread.. sorry for the delay! i stopped in pep boys to find it and to my surprise, there wasn't a brand name on the box... it just says "Power Lock Actuator" on it.. pep boys brand, maybe? lol but everything that i needed, except the extra wire, came in the box - mounting hardware, actuator, instructions, etc.

i didn't install a switch for the locks, though, and after a month or so with having the power locks, i've decided to do that... I just have to figure out which wires go where.
Ic, nice thing about those a1 kit's is you don't need a switch. That was my main complaint/worry about getting aftermarket power locks/keyless. It will be nice to just lock one door and have them all lock.