Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #1
Eeman

Drives: Toyota Yaris TR 08
Unhappy Yaris TR 1.3 '08 AC problem

Hi Everyone,
I bought a Yaris 1.3 '08 model (imported from uk to pak) and have been driving it around for 5 months. The car was in mint condition, it was perfect as long as winters were there. Didn't notice any problems until summers came and i had to use the AC. what happens is that as soon as i turn the AC ON, for a while it throws out chilled air bt as i drive on, the air gets warmer and it gets pretty warm. when i turn off the button and back on again, chilled air comes back bt after 5 mins or so it recedes again. I have had it checked from several local mechanics and this is what they did.

1. I had a freon re-fill as the mechanic proposed, the problem persisted and i had a 2nd re-fill which didnt solve the problem either
2. next time, the mechanic said there was a leakage in the hose so he replaced the entire pipe, which didn't solve the problem either
3. after changing, i had the drainage pipe cleaned several times but the problem persisted
4. Finally, it turned out the sea-air during import of car had corroded the filter and compressor, so I had it all entirely replaced.
For about 3 weeks it seemed to have solved the problem, But now it's back on again. The AC throws cold air for about 10 mins but as i drive further, the air gets normal and then warmer. Also, the AC does not perform v good when outside temp is v hot (above a 100 degrees).

NOTE: The car is imported so not covered under any warranty/insurance claims. I have already spent a lot of $$ on it n the problem has persisted, so i want to have suggestions on what i should look for now.

Much thankful for ur support!!
Eeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
does the radiator fan turn on when the AC is on?
Old 06-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If the fan stops running, it is likely that the system is either under or over filled. If the pressure is not within a specific window the AC ECU will shut the system down to prevent damage.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 AM   #4
Eeman

Drives: Toyota Yaris TR 08
FAN working ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If the fan stops running, it is likely that the system is either under or over filled. If the pressure is not within a specific window the AC ECU will shut the system down to prevent damage.
The fan keeps running, i can feel the air coming out its just ot cold ac air after a while its simple fan air. However, restart the AC button, n the fan throws cold air again for abt 5 mins.
Eeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
The fan you are talking about.
Is it the one that is on the Radiator or the one that distributes the air inside the car?
The fan on the radiator is the one you have to look at.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Scott is correct. If you can do the cycle endlessly, it means there is no freon loss ergo no leak.
my guesses are:
1) overfilled freon pressure
2) faulty condenser fan (engine bay) causing overpressure in the system

HTH
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac problem, compressor, freon, toyota yaris 2008, yaris