Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Master
Hella Smart

Drives: Lexus IS300
Importing a car from Canada to US...

how difficult is it to do this?

is there a service that can help me through the process?

thanks
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
I think because of NAFTA it is almost impossible. I would check with US Customs.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:20 AM   #3
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master
how difficult is it to do this?

is there a service that can help me through the process?

thanks
My response to similar question elswhere on this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundysquare
this may be a crazy thought.....
how hard is it to import a Canadian Yaris into the states? or should the question be why can't we....

Is there a pile of taxes, fees, and not to mention California's stricter emissions standards?

The Canadian LB comes with a tach and the RS trim options and 5 door LB if you prefer it.
1) Toyota Canada won't let dealers sell a new Yaris to Americans (at least they threaten dealers that have dones so in the past)
2) Toyota won't supply certification paperwork for export unless vehicle has been registered for 6 months in Canada.
3) Some suggestion by dealer I spoke to that speedo needs to be changed by Registered Importer. (not sure they even make a U.S. spec speedo with tach)
4) Importer fees of approx $400 (not too bad)
5) 2.5% import duty (not made in North America)
6) High sticker price in Canada + GST/PST (albeit refundable upon export)
7) Lousy exchange rate - 87%
8) Local sales tax upon licensing (in some states)

Yaris RS, B package: $20,105 cdn
Importer 400
Speedo 400
= 20,905 cdn or $18,187 U.S. x 2.5% = $18,264 before any local taxes.

Don't forget, you'd have to pay the GST and PST and then wait for a refund. I found that it really doesn't make sense to pay that much just for 5 doors and a tach.

The good part is that the Yaris qualifies as a ULEV under CARB, so you'd have no problem in California.

I wish it didn't suck this bad, but it does. I would rather have the above car than settle for our watered down 3-door so I'll wait and see what Toyota's reaction to the Fit is going to be.
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Drives: Turbo IS300
I don't even know why we consider canada another country...but I guess that may be a sore subject. Forget I said that.

I need me a 5 door.
SophieSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
chuchu

Drives: 97 Impreza
Yet another 5-door liftback seeker. Sophie, I've been looking at the same thing myself and my conclusion is that it's certainly possible, but you have to weigh the extra cost to import one against the real possibility of Toyota introducing the 5-door liftback in the states next year (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

As far as the logistics, take a look at these NHTSA importation guidelines specifically for Canada: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...nada07032.html
From looking around on the web, it sounds like most dealers will refuse to sell a new car to a US citizen, so you may need to have a friend buy it and sell it to you. Also the speedometer should be ok as long as it has mph markings.

Pricewise, if I remember correctly, there was about a 3-4k difference in price between the 3-door US Yaris and the 5-door Canadian Yaris (go to yaris.ca to price one out).

That's just a bit of what I've found online. I would love to hear more from anyone who has succesfully imported a vehicle from Canada.
chuchu is offline   Reply With Quote