Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
alex_melodymaker

Drives: 2008 Liftback/Black/5-speed MT
Broken 40/60 Back / Rear Split Seat Handle / Lever

Hi,

I fold down the 40/60 split rear seats of my 2008 Yaris Liftback frequently to load and unload my musical gear and other items. I recently discovered that I had broken the lever of the right seat, which allows the seat to be pushed forward and/or folded down. The lever is held down by two screws which go down these two delicate cylindrical plastic molded openings that have a hole at their ends to give access to another pair of stronger, metallic holes located deeper in the assembly for the screws to fasten to. It appears I may have accidentally broken the lever, most likely by tossing one of my cases in when the seats were folded down and having it ram against the lower edge of the lever; therefore, forcing it upward and breaking the ends of the of two cylindrical molded areas that were fastened down by the screws. Now, the screws can't hold the lever down anymore because the openings at the ends are too big from the damage.

I've tried remedying the problem to no avail, I then tried searching for either postings about a similar situation here and online to see what they may have done to fix it, again nothing, and finally I've tried looking for a replacement part, which also came up dry. I'm worried this may be more than a quick fix, as further inspection of the the lever showed that it's actually tied to two cables inside the seating assembly that control the mechanism of the seat to be moved forward or folded. So now I'm thinking this may be something I'll need to take for the dealer to look at, and possibly may have to get the entire seat replaced.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, how did you get it fixed? Does anyone know if it's covered by the warranty in case I need to take it to the dealer to have it fixed? I've attached some photos to show you what I'm talking about.

Many Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (102.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg photo(4).jpg (104.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg photo(3).jpg (94.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (129.7 KB, 113 views)
alex_melodymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
oh noz! :[ I hope I dont accidently do this one day...

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
72057-52070 dk grey, trim piece right hand seat control
Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
alex_melodymaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
72057-52070 dk grey, trim piece right hand seat control
wow, thanks for that!

i tried googling the part number, but nothing came up... i also tried some toyota parts sites, and again it didn't come up with anything...

any suggestions? go the dealer with the number perhaps?
Old 10-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
7205852010B0 is the part # for the lever. Don't think you can replace the metal part if its damaged
unless you get a new seat back frame. The lever is $27.28 from Sparks.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
alex_melodymaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
7205852010B0 is the part # for the lever. Don't think you can replace the metal part if its damaged
unless you get a new seat back frame. The lever is $27.28 from Sparks.
the metal part isn't damaged fortunately, only the plastic part from the lever... i did a search for the part and it says that it's for the left side... can this part number also apply for the right side, or is there different part number for that... also, have you ever had to replace one of these before? i'm asking because i'm curious about disconnecting the cables tied to it and reconnecting them to the new lever...

thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Right side lever is 7205752010B0. I haven't replace this before since I don't have the LB but I do have the parts lists.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Permatex makes a super strong adhesive for plastics. Much stronger than super glue. It chemically melts the surfaces together. There are several choices available. Using this stuff you might be able to rejoin the broken bits together and save your self the time and money of part replacement.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
alex_melodymaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Permatex makes a super strong adhesive for plastics. Much stronger than super glue. It chemically melts the surfaces together. There are several choices available. Using this stuff you might be able to rejoin the broken bits together and save your self the time and money of part replacement.
i thought about that, but the pieces are too small and fragile to glue back together... plus, most of it got inside the seat assembly, so retrieving it won't be practical... thanks for posting...
Old 10-31-2009, 04:55 AM   #10
alex_melodymaker

***UPDATE 10/30/09***

so i took the yaris over to the dealer where i bought it... after having sit around for almost 2 hours to 'verify' that it was actually broken, they said that they'll need to special order the part before repairing it, and that they'll need around 3 hours to do the repair... apparently, connecting the lever to the mechanism cables for the seat is time consuming...

as long as i don't have to deal with that or pay for it i guess (warranty :p)