Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
lejulie

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Do I need a transmission flush at 57K miles if 07 Yaris should last until 100k?

Hi!

I don't know much about cars but I am learning a lot from this site! I have a 2007 Yaris with 57,000 miles. I took it in and the mechanic said that the transmission fluid was dirty/burnt and recommended getting the following transmission flushed:

transmission flush (std): complete BG chemical flush with a detergent and neutralizing agent added to new transmission fluid to clean the entire system.

-Dexron III ATF, 16 - $79.84
-BG Trans Flush Kit - $33.55
-Disp fee - $1.00
-Labor - $50.56

Total: $164.95

The transmission fluid has never been changed since 2007. I thought with 2007 Yaris' that the ATF didn't need to be changed for 100,000 miles. Should I go ahead and get the ATF flushed now (or drained and filled?) or wait until 100K like it says here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13968

Lastly, what is Genuine Toyota ATF-WS? Is it Dexron III ATF? Or can you only buy Genuine Toyota ATF-WS at a Toyota dealer?

Thanks so much!!
Julie
lejulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
yarisbird

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB Bayou Blue
The owner's manual on our cars does not even specify an auto transmission fluid change at 100,000 miles--or at any other time for that matter. Pull the transmission dipstick out when the engine is hot. If the fluid appears very dark and truly does have a burnt smell, you might want to have the fluid drained and re-filled with new fluid. No need for an expensive flush, especially if you are not having any specific problems with the transmission. Just my $.02.
yarisbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
lejulie

Thanks, yarisbird!

I will do that. Silly question - where do I find the transmission dipstick? I have a 4 door sedan if that makes a difference.

I appreciate your help and time!!

Last edited by lejulie; 09-27-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I couldn't find mine either. I thought when I had the engine cover off changing plugs I would then be able to see it. Is the trans dipstick an option for an 07 liftback?
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Pull the transmission dipstick out when the engine is hot.
Yeah, where is that exactly?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
In my 2007 Sedan. Page 284 of the Owners Manual. Gives the details on the automatic transmissions fluid capacity and a warning on using the incorrect replacement fluid. It also says most driving conditions. Will not require changing the fluid.

Mine appears to have an Automatic Transmission Dipstick. Just to the left of the air filter housing. Has a small grip handle on it with a metal clip holding in place tightly. In an S shaped tube running down to the transmission.

Though I have also not seen anything in a manual on where it is or how to correctly do the reading.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
do not use anything but toyota genuine ATF-WS fluid
others like valvoline claim to be compatible with it but isn't
did you actually see for your self that the fluid was indeed dirty/burnt or did you take their word for it?
doing so would have answered two of your questions:
1. location of the A/T dipstick
2. if fluid ain't red and indeed redish-brown to "burnt" in color

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Here's a picture of the dipstick location:
ATF - Location.jpg

Pull the dipstick and sniff it (yes sniff it). It should smell kind of sweet, funky and chemical, but should not smell burnt. The fluid level should be between the two marks on "COOL" section when the engine is cold and between the two marks on the "HOT" section when hot:
ATF - Dipstick.jpg

After the sniff test, wipe the dipstick on a paper towel. The smear should look very bright red. If it is brown or black then it is cooked and should be completely purged and refilled. Often if it is cooked, then it is already too late for the transmission, as damage occurs when the tranny overheats.
ATF - Smear.jpg

I definitely agree with the statement to only use Toyota ATF-WS. I used "compatible" fluid when I filled Crashy's AT, and definitely noticed a difference in cold behavior of the tranny.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Thank you CTScott for the information.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
Introduction
World Standard (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) was introduced to reduce maintenance
costs and increase the mileage between scheduled maintenance checks. Here are some important
tips when working with ATF-WS in Toyota vehicles requiring its use.

World Standard Automatic Transmission Fluid
Required Tools & Equipment
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS (SST) PART NUMBER QTY
Transmission Fill System* 00002-11100-02 1
* Essential SST.
Important Information
• 100,000 Mile Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing
or changing during the life of the vehicle.
• The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.
• The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible or substitutes
may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission components.
• ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.
• Containers storing Toyota ATF-WS should ALWAYS be sealed — If exposed to the atmosphere,
ATF-WS may absorb moisture and potentially cause shift concerns if used in operation.
• One time use only.
• When performing repairs on ATF-WS equipped transaxles, it is important to use only
new, clean ATF-WS when refilling the ATM.
• ATF-WS equipped ATMs may use the overflow type procedure — Any fluid drained from the
overflow plug should be discarded following proper local regulations and never reused.
Failure to do so could result in shift concerns and damage to the internal transmission
components.

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
lejulie

CTScott, thanks so much, especially for the pictures! Thank you also, BLH, for the directions. I just checked. (I did not do so at the repair shop - lesson learned!!)

The fluid came out to light purple/pinkish color. And it did not smelled burnt. At least I didn't think so. But since it wasn't bright red, should I be concerned?

It has been three hours since I drove it about 10 miles on the highway and the fluid was in the hot range. Is that normal?

Thanks again!! I am feeling much better now that I know where to look and what to look for!

Lastly, can I buy Toyota ATF-WS from a dealership and have a non-dealer place use it, if needed?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejulie View Post
CTScott, thanks so much, especially for the pictures! Thank you also, BLH, for the directions. I just checked. (I did not do so at the repair shop - lesson learned!!)

The fluid came out to light purple/pinkish color. And it did not smelled burnt. At least I didn't think so. But since it wasn't bright red, should I be concerned?

It has been three hours since I drove it about 10 miles on the highway and the fluid was in the hot range. Is that normal?

Thanks again!! I am feeling much better now that I know where to look and what to look for!

Lastly, can I buy Toyota ATF-WS from a dealership and have a non-dealer place use it, if needed?
That actually all sounds good. My posted picture of the "smear" may be a bit different from what you saw, based on lighting, etc., but as long as it didn't look brown, then it sounds like it was fine. As for the smell, if it had the burnt smell, it would have been a very strong burnt smell, as opposed to the funky chemical smell. The fluid stays warm for a pretty long time, but to be sure, pull the dipstick, wipe it, put it back in, and then pull it a second time. The fluid hangs pretty well on the dipstick, so a clean wipe ensures a correct level check.

Based on what you saw / didn't smell I suspect that your mechanic was trying to make some extra money. Having the fluid changed (with the correct fluid) will not hurt anything, but I would be leery of having that mechanic do it. You can buy the fluid from Toyota and bring it to someone else to do the change.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
lejulie

CTScott - thanks again for your help! I truly appreciate it. This forum has been a huge help. I am learning a lot and appreciate everyone's quick replies. Thanks again!!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
The answer is no. Never flush an auto trans. Trans fluid over time does turn dark that is normal. BG is an aftermarket chemical company, that shop is just trying to sell you a service you don't need. With only 57k on the trans your just breaking it in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejulie View Post
Hi!

I don't know much about cars but I am learning a lot from this site! I have a 2007 Yaris with 57,000 miles. I took it in and the mechanic said that the transmission fluid was dirty/burnt and recommended getting the following transmission flushed:

transmission flush (std): complete BG chemical flush with a detergent and neutralizing agent added to new transmission fluid to clean the entire system.

-Dexron III ATF, 16 - $79.84
-BG Trans Flush Kit - $33.55
-Disp fee - $1.00
-Labor - $50.56

Total: $164.95

The transmission fluid has never been changed since 2007. I thought with 2007 Yaris' that the ATF didn't need to be changed for 100,000 miles. Should I go ahead and get the ATF flushed now (or drained and filled?) or wait until 100K like it says here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13968

Lastly, what is Genuine Toyota ATF-WS? Is it Dexron III ATF? Or can you only buy Genuine Toyota ATF-WS at a Toyota dealer?

Thanks so much!!
Julie
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I gave an answer in your other thread but it seems to have been addressed quite well here.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 yaris sedan, atf, fluid, transmission