Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
driver centric
I know right?

Drives: 07 Bayou LB
DF210 strange noises

I've had my DF210s installed for about a week and I've noticed when I go over large humps or disturbances in the road, I hear a somewhat loud clank or thumping noise coming from the front of the car. I've checked the bolts and nothing looks loose, has anyone else noticed this? It only seems to happen when the suspension is unloaded and then quickly recompressed. If I just hit a small bump or pothole I don't hear anything but earlier today I was going down a somewhat steep hill and heard the noise when I reached the bottom and the suspension was compressed. Could it be because the springs are shorter than the stock pieces? Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

07 Bayou Blue Liftback 5-spd manual
driver centric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
most likely it's chatter, I notice it from the rear with my springs, that's my guess

I thought you sold those to chino
Old 05-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
driver centric
I know right?

Never heard it from the rear but I guessed it might have something to do with the springs being shorter than the stock ones.

I ended up just holding onto them because it was going to be tough to find time in our schedules where we could drive all that way to complete the sale.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

I am sure you are much happier with the look and ride of the car with the new springs 'eh? Did you put the wheels on too?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
did you cut the bump stops?
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
When the car is on a jack, are the springs fully captured?

Could be a small amount of play is happening when totally uncompressed.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
did you pita wrap the springs with the black rubber-like thing?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
dayvit_h

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr
I installed df's on my car and my wifes car with no issues. No bump stop cutting BTW. Did you apply proper torque to all your nuts and bolts?
dayvit_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
BokChoi
Mada Mada Dane...

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB
after installing my nf's i heard this high pitched screeching noise, but i doubt this is the same problem. anyways the dust guard was bent and making contact with the rotors.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
driver centric
I know right?

brickhardmeat: Yeah I installed everything, I am much happier with the look but would like to find out the source of this noise.

YamilR: Yes, I cut the bumpstops just like in Chris07LB's how-to.

whoguy: I haven't checked that but that's what I'm thinking.

Kaotic: My springs did not come with that, and I think Tanabe was only including them for the rear. My rears already had a length of black tubing on the springs that I guess Tanabe has started putting on so people don't have to wrap that rubber stuff on there themselves.

dayvit: I'm pretty sure I did and I've gone back to check, everything still seems to be torqued down. I had a similar problem when going over bumps after Tanabe coilovers were installed on my Scion xB (almost identical suspension setup as the Yaris) and it was because the top shock tower bolts were starting to back off. So that was the first thing I checked when I heard this noise, but everything seems to check out...

Bokchoi: I remember reading your thread, I don't think this is the same sound.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver centric View Post
brickhardmeat: Yeah I installed everything, I am much happier with the look but would like to find out the source of this noise.

YamilR: Yes, I cut the bumpstops just like in Chris07LB's how-to.

whoguy: I haven't checked that but that's what I'm thinking.

Kaotic: My springs did not come with that, and I think Tanabe was only including them for the rear. My rears already had a length of black tubing on the springs that I guess Tanabe has started putting on so people don't have to wrap that rubber stuff on there themselves.

dayvit: I'm pretty sure I did and I've gone back to check, everything still seems to be torqued down. I had a similar problem when going over bumps after Tanabe coilovers were installed on my Scion xB (almost identical suspension setup as the Yaris) and it was because the top shock tower bolts were starting to back off. So that was the first thing I checked when I heard this noise, but everything seems to check out...

Bokchoi: I remember reading your thread, I don't think this is the same sound.

The Tanabe DF210's I sold to a local here because I'm getting coilovers also came as you say without vinyl and only the rubber secured on them. Funny thing is the instructions for applying the wrap were in the box.

I hope you get this figured out.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
driver centric
I know right?

Checked the top bolts tonight, they're snug. I didn't have an allen key to use in there like Chris' how-to...could that mean they're not really as tight as they need to be? I got them tightened all the way down until the shaft starts spinning.