Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #55
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
corolla = bland, common
yaris = funky, fresh

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #56
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I also own a Jeep, and it is the simplicity of the Wrangler that draws me to other vehicles that are of the same lack of complexity. I don't even have ABS on either vehicle, in the Jeep it is just something else to break offroad, and on the Yaris I would prefer to learn how to brake properly than to allow a machine to do it.

And before anyone starts an ABS debate, I am well aware of the benefits of the system. I just think an experienced and alert driver can do better.

Cheers! M2
Amen. Love my Wrangler and consider myself fortunate to have two vehicles that I enjoy so much. I really have the best of both worlds, my go anywhere do anything gas guzzling Jeep and my stylish fun to drive gas miser Yaris. Woot!

On a similar note - I could have had a Cherokee for not much more too, but I went for the Wrangler instead. It's over 10 years old and solid as a rock.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #57
ulmaitre
Banned

Drives: Yaris LB
I can average over 50 mpg on my Yaris, and I have more headroom. Easy choice for me. No Corolla's gonna get 50 mpg. Also, I paid exactly $11,000 for my Yaris LB with the Convenience Package. No Corolla goes for that price.
ulmaitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #58
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmaitre View Post
I can average over 50 mpg on my Yaris
Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #59
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the new dual vvti 1.8L in a corolla will OWN the 11year old 1.5L 1nzfe in "our cars" as it's said on yarisworld
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #60
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
the new dual vvti 1.8L in a corolla will OWN the 11year old 1.5L 1nzfe in "our cars" as it's said on yarisworld
Yebbut... If we wanted to win drag races we wouldn't have bought Yarii.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #61
ulmaitre
Banned

Quote:
Own it in which way? I suppose the enormous 0.3 liter volume advantage will certainly smoke the tires. As for fuel economy, er, the Yaris engine is much better. As for reliability, er, the Yaris engine has decades of proven reliability. As for dual cams, er, they take more power to run and have double the moving parts to break. I dunno...I would rather have the Yaris engine personally.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #62
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Yebbut... If we wanted to win drag races we wouldn't have bought Yarii.
Or a Corolla
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #63
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
What kind of topic is this??? Geez YARIS FTW! go to a corolla site and see how much fun you get there! There is a FUN factor attached to Yaris and not to grandmas corolla!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #64
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmaitre View Post
Own it in which way? I suppose the enormous 0.3 liter volume advantage will certainly smoke the tires. As for fuel economy, er, the Yaris engine is much better. As for reliability, er, the Yaris engine has decades of proven reliability. As for dual cams, er, they take more power to run and have double the moving parts to break. I dunno...I would rather have the Yaris engine personally.

errr your 1nz HAS DUAL CAMS
err my 2002 corolla got 41mpg
err i've blown up one 1nz already (bone stock) and never blew up a corolla engine

but i can see where your argument may be strong among the ignorant ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #65
ulmaitre
Banned

Quote:
errr your 1nz HAS DUAL CAMS
err my 2002 corolla got 41mpg
err i've blown up one 1nz already (bone stock) and never blew up a corolla engine

but i can see where your argument may be strong among the ignorant ;)
1. Fair enough.
2. 41 mpg is good. 52 is better.
3. Anecdotal evidence is not valid evidence. People have blown up Corollas too. and specifically what do you mean by "blew up?" Do you mean that the engine literally spontaneously exploded in a giant fireball? Or, were there any other issues, such as driving style, load, temperature, maintenance, etc., that drove it to fail? If you were driving down the street tand the perfectly-maintaine engine suddenly and spontaneously burst into flames in a giant burst of fireball, then I would call Toyota. you probably have a giant lawsuit settlement awaiting you too, not to mention a worldwide recall!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #66
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
the 2000 PRIZM ( Corolla ) with 5 speed manual that we traded in for the '08 L.B. got 43.3 m.p.g. not long before the purchase of the '08 5 speed manual L.B.. We almost decided to turn around the night we went and picked up the L.B. due to the gas mileage the PRIZM was getting , even at 90,000 + miles . Wasn't even trying that hard to get that mileage , so may have done better than it's all time best of 43.3 m.p.g. . Wonder if it was trying to tell us something . Miss that car .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #67
gid

Sorry , but I / we have a hard time buying those averaging 50+ m.p.g. with their YARII . Think I may have stepped knee deep in a pile of steamy fresh cra*p that's gonna hit the fan and head my way . Let it rip .
Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #68
ulmaitre
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
Sorry , but I / we have a hard time buying those averaging 50+ m.p.g. with their YARII . Think I may have stepped knee deep in a pile of steamy fresh cra*p that's gonna hit the fan and head my way . Let it rip .
Sorry you have a hard time buying it. But it is true. Would a photograph of my ScanGuage II at 52mpg work? I really do. I am a hypermiler. I get 50 +. It is entirely possible with a combination of the right factors.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #69
gid

just how accurate is the SCANGUAGE ? I too hypermile as much as possible , we had a '07 PRIUS that we learned this procees on and even with that 50+ m.p.g. could be a chore to get .
Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #70
ulmaitre
Banned

Quote:
just how accurate is the SCANGUAGE ? I too hypermile as much as possible , we had a '07 PRIUS that we learned this procees on and even with that 50+ m.p.g. could be a chore to get .
The ScanGuage II is very accurate. Plus, when I manually do the math at the pump, it matches the ScanGuage II's numbers.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #71
gid

the day I achieve the same with either one of our YARII ( or both ) as you I'll let you know .
Old 01-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #72
ulmaitre
Banned

Quote:
the day I achieve the same as you I'll let you know .
Well, honestly, it is not that hard. Hypermiling techniques help alot. Also I have a manual transmission. I use cruise control set to 60 mph on the flat interstate, no auxilaries on, I make heavy use of DFCO, I keep the tires inflate well, etc. I am sorry if you do not believe me; that is your prerogative. But I get 52 mpg quite often.