Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
question for those with audio systems

like what is it about your personalities that makes you think everyone else wants to hear your crappy ass music? really i don't get it. what are you trying to prove? i mean for god's sake your car sounds like its about to rattle itself apart. does that not seem somewhat excessive?

and just so everyone understands i don't mean those audiophiles that have upgraded their systems so that they sound more clear and crisp. i don't mean you guys. i understand wanting to have better quality. what i don't understand however is the need to be a rolling radio station. yes i get it ur super... gangsta, rockin, country... or whatever. now turn it down. nobody cares but you.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
like what is it about your personalities that makes you think everyone else wants to hear your crappy ass music? really i don't get it. what are you trying to prove? i mean for god's sake your car sounds like its about to rattle itself apart. does that not seem somewhat excessive?

and just so everyone understands i don't mean those audiophiles that have upgraded their systems so that they sound more clear and crisp. i don't mean you guys. i understand wanting to have better quality. what i don't understand however is the need to be a rolling radio station. yes i get it ur super... gangsta, rockin, country... or whatever. now turn it down. nobody cares but you.
I never had the need to have my music blast at 130 db with people's car alarms going off within 2 blocks of my approach but I do need good quality sound. I hate crappy audio quality. I place the people you describe in the same category as those that have the obnoxiously loud mufflers. Actually I prefer overly loud stereos over mufflers. Extremely loud mufflers don't even provide a boost in performance. At least if a stereo gets as loud as you describe, it means it's probably pretty high quality.

One more thing: many times, those with very loud stereos are also very good at deadening and sound proofing their cars, so they don't want you to hear their music, they want the sound to stay in. Most people here I would say are not the type to hook up a massive amp and sub and drive around with the windows down to act like hot sh*t.
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
TheUnGroomed

Drives: 08 Meteorite LB
Send a message via AIM to TheUnGroomed
A lot of people around here crank their bass up and don't give a damn about sound deadening. Several times a week while trying to sleep I hear people driving down the street with loud music and a severe rattle. I don't mind listening to other people's music while at red light because I know I won't be near them that long.
TheUnGroomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccurrent View Post
I never had the need to have my music blast at 130 db with people's car alarms going off within 2 blocks of my approach but I do need good quality sound. I hate crappy audio quality. I place the people you describe in the same category as those that have the obnoxiously loud mufflers. Actually I prefer overly loud stereos over mufflers. Extremely loud mufflers don't even provide a boost in performance. At least if a stereo gets as loud as you describe, it means it's probably pretty high quality.

One more thing: many times, those with very loud stereos are also very good at deadening and sound proofing their cars, so they don't want you to hear their music, they want the sound to stay in. Most people here I would say are not the type to hook up a massive amp and sub and drive around with the windows down to act like hot sh*t.
yes loud mufflers are annoying too. and i understand a need for quality sound and i guess if you are sound proofing your car then you probably aren't on my shit list so to speak. it's more so the people just sitting there with all four or two doors wide open blasting whatever it is they are blasting. no amount of sound proofing is going to account for that. seems like the car wash really really attracts these types of people for some reason. anyway i'm just venting because i don't understand that kind of blatant disrespect for others. especially when it's late at night and you are sitting in an apartment parking lot knowing full well there must be all kinds of different people on all kinds of different schedules living amongst you. and anyway it's not THAT cool that you have speakers. they are pretty common now actually. amps too. i think i seen them for sale at a few places. and how can you honestly expect me or anyone to believe that you are enjoying your music at that volume? there ain't no way.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I turn my stereo down around houses, and late at night, but - what's not to understand about cruising down the freeway, windows down, radio blaring?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I turn my stereo down around houses, and late at night, but - what's not to understand about cruising down the freeway, windows down, radio blaring?
If everyone did that then the world would be a better place.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
I would leave it at individual's preference. Honestly, some ppl like that bass isnt that the reason why they install monstrous woofers in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I would leave it at individual's preference.
Once it can be heard outside the vehicle it isn't individual anymore. Once it can be heard the next street over it's downright public.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
jinxor

Its not like they are going to stand for a whole decade in front of you and play the music to annoy you with full bass...

Cmon.... A couple of seconds are a bit too much???

Quote:
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
jinxor

I honestly dont understand this...

Why do ppl love when a Ferrari roars past them... you would go "Oh nice... that is wow"
but the same with exhaust system on other cars... you start complaining...
If the high music pours outside the pubs, no one minds... but outside a car... "ooo... i hate that"

Quote:
Old 04-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
*meh*

I'm one of those guys that keeps my music to myself.

I suppose I am not qualified to comment since I'm not a basshead.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
frownonfun

Quote:
Its not like they are going to stand for a whole decade in front of you and play the music to annoy you with full bass...

Cmon.... A couple of seconds are a bit too much???

yeah the couple of seconds isn't really my complaint. it's those that camp out places with their music blaring. it's ridiculous. suppose my personal preference is to stand outside and play flamingo lips on my cornet at 11pm. don't get me wrong i don't know too many who don't think that's a catchy little tune but to be out in public at night or even in the day wailing on a musical instrument is absurdly rude. and that's essentially what you are doing when you turn your stereo up too obscene levels and chill or kick it with your homies or vaqueros or whatever. it's rude. there is no getting around it.

Quote:
I honestly dont understand this...

Why do ppl love when a Ferrari roars past them... you would go "Oh nice... that is wow"
but the same with exhaust system on other cars... you start complaining...
If the high music pours outside the pubs, no one minds... but outside a car... "ooo... i hate that"
if a ferrari roars by i'd probably still be a little annoyed. but then again i'm not really complaining about exhausts or engine noise. sometimes these things can't be helped. like harleys and such. it's just how some things are made. there's no volume button really. so i deal with it. but stereo noise isn't as unavoidable.

and a pub where people go specifically to hear music and hang out is way different than forcing everyone in the area to listen to your new nickelback cd. not even close to the same. no one minds because it's what pubs are supposed to do. just like no one minds when an emergency vehicle goes flying by sirens blaring. then again if i stuck a siren on my car and drove around town blasting it i suspect people would be annoyed.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
bikegerm

Drives: 2007 Meteor LB
Mine goes to "11"

Sometimes I just like it loud !! I'm sorry if it offends you. I work in a studio, I check my work in my car. My clients listen loud and they listen soft. I have to make sure what I do translates at all levels: 30db - 110db. Sometimes the music just "Cries" to be played loud and sometimes it's just wants to "whisper". If you don't like my level, close your windows or I'll be past you or the light will turn green in a few minutes. What a trivial thing to concern yourself with. I think you probably have better things you could be worrying about.
bikegerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
jinxor

lolz... that just sums it up

Quote:
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

...actually the exaust notes are VERY controlable. Just don't twist the throttle or floor the gas...

Yes, bassheads are annoying. That's why they get tickets when the police feel like doing so.

Personally I understand your apathy. Railing on the disrespectful waterheads is like asking teenagers not to race, fight, or curse. It doesn't work well. It's a phase for the most part.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #16
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
I blast my music on the freeway, and turn it down in traffic, at lights, and in residential areas. HOWEVER, if someone pulls up next to me blasting music that I don't want to hear, I usually turn up my stereo.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #17
frownonfun

i love how "because that's what i feel like doing" sums it up. like that's really any kind of justification for being rude.

and my supercharging an econobox, while impractical and silly in many ways, really shouldn't bother anyone to the point of annoyance.

but anyway... i'll stop complaining because i'm sure everyone will agree this thread is pretty pointless.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #18
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I'm wondering if the supercharging kit REALLY makes our engine any where near a smog machine...