Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I hate having that parting line there. It looks like shit. I wish the hood ran down to the top of the grill opening.

I'm pretty sure they did it for the pedestrian impact standards.

I think this is the reason for the blunt nose and high hood that everything seems to have now.

Last edited by Flipper_1938; 09-05-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
No consequence

That gap is of NO consequence whatsoever.

Toyota didn't "overlook" it....thats not their M.O., there's probably a very good engineering or manufacturing rationale behind it. I doubt it's an "issue" or a deficiency...it's the way the car is and *somewhere* somebody knows why. Exactly why. That's engineering.

Perfection is unattainable no matter how much you spend on a car and "value" is where it's at.

In the big scheme, it's one of the finest, yet lowest priced cars around and that (seemingly) large gap between the hood and front fascia doesn't change that one iota.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
^ From my experience I obtained higher speed with that gap taped and did not experience any temp increase issues. I haven't actually tested over say a full tank driving on the highway, but if I can attain better speeds with it taped then suffice to say that would also increase FE. They may have had their engineering reasons, but there are plenty of aftermarket components out there than increase safety, performance, reliability, or economy that would not have been that much of a price increase issue if done from the factory. Case in point would be the rear sway bar. This inclusion would have made the car much more stable especially in cornering (not even aggressive in nature) and high wind scenarios at highway/freeway speeds safer. This is especially critical when you look at how damned high they have the suspension set stock. Why did they not install one from the factory? Makes no sense.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
^ From my experience I obtained higher speed with that gap taped and did not experience any temp increase issues. I haven't actually tested over say a full tank driving on the highway, but if I can attain better speeds with it taped then suffice to say that would also increase FE. They may have had their engineering reasons, but there are plenty of aftermarket components out there than increase safety, performance, reliability, or economy that would not have been that much of a price increase issue if done from the factory. Case in point would be the rear sway bar. This inclusion would have made the car much more stable especially in cornering (not even aggressive in nature) and high wind scenarios at highway/freeway speeds safer. This is especially critical when you look at how damned high they have the suspension set stock. Why did they not install one from the factory? Makes no sense.

Built to satisfy a price-point. That means things like sway bars don't make the cut....you want sportier ride and the other trimmings you have to go upmarket (spendier car).

Product positioning isnt "sporty" with the Yaris....it's inexpensive.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Welding on extra metal to fix factory defects is very commonplace in the autobody and automotive restoration world. You should see all the difference it can make. As for the 1/4 inch gap in your car, that's still way too wide. It should be half that. Seems they started putting that weatherstrip in there simply to try and address the issue.
Like I said, that sounds like a disaster...welding on extra metal to fix gaps? Never heard of that...and would NEVER try to fix gaps on a 15,000 + dollar car...never. I am perfectly fine with this 1/4'' gap. The car panels line up excellent. It is like night & day versus an American made car.

I would imagine that weatherstrip has helped to keep the engine bay a lot cleaner. My Yaris has been driven 3,600 miles since 4/11/2013 - we have had a lot of rain this Summer, and the engine is barely dusty. It's really pretty amazing how clean the engine is after all the roadspray I've endured driving these past 5 months
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #24
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
Built to satisfy a price-point. That means things like sway bars don't make the cut....you want sportier ride and the other trimmings you have to go upmarket (spendier car).

Product positioning isnt "sporty" with the Yaris....it's inexpensive.
a rear swaybar isn't just a sportier option. I just explained other justifications for it. Also if sportier wasn't part of their goal then they wouldn't have been trying to fake the funk all these years with in all honesty a lame S package. Their version of a S model is merely lipstick on a pig or woodgrain plastic garbage like found on higher end Hyundai vehicles 5-10 years ago. Your reasoning is flawed.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #25
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
That gap is of NO consequence whatsoever.

Toyota didn't "overlook" it....thats not their M.O., there's probably a very good engineering or manufacturing rationale behind it. I doubt it's an "issue" or a deficiency...it's the way the car is and *somewhere* somebody knows why. Exactly why. That's engineering.

Perfection is unattainable no matter how much you spend on a car and "value" is where it's at.

In the big scheme, it's one of the finest, yet lowest priced cars around and that (seemingly) large gap between the hood and front fascia doesn't change that one iota.
Some of these replies... LOL. As an engineering student, I can tell you that's not even close to being true. Toyota (like all automakers) can and does make mistakes. You forget the "Moving you forward, even when you don't want to" bug? In most cases everyone likes to blame engineers but they're only human, they make mistakes just like everyone else. On top of that, they're dealing with a set budget and they can't go over it without permission from corporate. You sound like you just want to think that your Yaris is a flawless car and maintain your fanboyism with toyota. Well, (and this goes back to my engineering point) the Yaris is just an entry level car. It is THE entry level car in toyota's whole lineup.

So of course there are going to be overall quality and "fit 'n finish" items, that will arise. That for example, you simply would not see on an $80k Mercedes or BMW or whatever. Its going to happen, its called getting what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
Like I said, that sounds like a disaster...welding on extra metal to fix gaps? Never heard of that...and would NEVER try to fix gaps on a 15,000 + dollar car...never. I am perfectly fine with this 1/4'' gap. The car panels line up excellent. It is like night & day versus an American made car.
You're not very familiar with automotive restoration then. I promise you its going on all over the country in autobody shops, as we speak. I'll see if I can dig up a link about the process, although I don't see why you couldn't imagine that it would work great. You have a gap, and you tack weld on a few small welds to hold it on. You use filler to get it all evened up and smooth, then you sand, primer and paint. What exactly is hard to understand about how that would seal up a gap, and look like it came that way? You familiar with what they do in wood working? Or masonry? Or other metal working?

Also I have 2 other american cars, besides my Yaris. While I won't disagree that some american cars may share the type of fitment problems as the yaris hood, mine don't. Neither of my other two cars have anything even close to the problem the Yaris hood has, that's part of the reason I started this thread. (2008 F-150, 2010 Dodge Challenger)

http://www.antiquecar.com/bodyshop_door_buildup.php

You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to the gap welding part. Absolutely no reason you couldn't do this to a yaris hood to fix that awful gap. There is also a video of the process from Powerblock TV, I will see if I can find later on when I have time.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
Flipper_1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post

http://www.antiquecar.com/bodyshop_door_buildup.php

You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to the gap welding part. Absolutely no reason you couldn't do this to a yaris hood to fix that awful gap. There is also a video of the process from Powerblock TV, I will see if I can find later on when I have time.
Old cars were built out of real metal. Late models are built out of beer cans. It would be real fun to try and build up the yaris hood gap with mig welder.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Complaining about a tiny gap in the hood? Seriously....you all need to find something else to do with your spare time.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Flipper_1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
Complaining about a tiny gap in the hood? Seriously....you all need to find something else to do with your spare time.
It is an ugly body line. It does not belong there even if it was 1/8" wide. A longer hood would look a lot better. Screw the pedestrians!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #29
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
Far from Tiny!

This is mammoth and when it gets down to it this type of a gap seriously increases drag which in turn affects power as well as FE.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #30
Flipper_1938

My suggestion
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

^ my gap issues will be addressed this winter when I have my TRD Australia body kit installed. My body guy is amazing. Thanks, but what you are suggesting would not be legal in my class for my racing.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
D&D
It's Quacktastic!

Drives: '07 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
My suggestion
This would have required moving the hood latch (and the radiator core support that it bolts to) further forward. This would result in a larger and longer front bumper.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #34
Flipper_1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
This would have required moving the hood latch (and the radiator core support that it bolts to) further forward. This would result in a larger and longer front bumper.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #35
D&D
It's Quacktastic!

Drives: '07 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
So you're agreeing with me I guess?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #36
Flipper_1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
So you're agreeing with me I guess?
Nope. I'm just showing how they hid the seam on the previous version of our cars.