Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
B789
B789

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Does my yaris have an immobilizer

I am in a tricky situation. My 2007 Yaris Sedan Guide userguide claims that it has an immobilizer but the experience points to the opposite. I have only one original key with 3 button remote. Never received the second key from previous owner.

So just to save lost key hassles, I decided to duplicate the key. Went to one shop and asked for rubber head Toyota key duplication. Rubber head key wasn't in stock so got two Delco one's cut. One of the Delco's worked. I did not like the key quality so I went another store of same chain and found rubber head key by Axxess+ 35R and asked for duplication. Locksmith refused saying that there is a coded chip in my original. Never heard of term immobilizer till then. I said how come, I can drive using another ordinary key. So I had her cut two. These work perfectly except that they dont seem to be cut symmetric on two sides of the key blade so they work when inserted in one side only. If rotated, they wont work. I open, start and drive the car with fob key left at home. There is no black plastic ring around my ignition switch keyhole.

Two years later, I 'm exploring adding remote start and trunk release. I could not find an add-on remote starter module with trunk release option. I do not want to carry two fob's. OEM Toyota one is too bulky any way. Also, some after market ones (such as crimestoppers PS-04) give option to control/start two cars using one remote.

QUESTION: Seller and so the called dumb certified professional installers are telling me that Yaris needs key bypass. They cant answer my actual observations. The manual says so. I never saw any warning lights regarding immobilizer driving with any key. Given my above noted observations, does my car have an immobilizer installed or not ?

Is black ring around ignition an industry standard or some sort of regulatory requirement ? If no then Toyota might have opted for no black ring.

(BTW, I myself wired and programmed Crimestopper remote start with key SL-3 bypass on my Honda Fit myself and it works super good).
B789 is offline   Reply With Quote